Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MMR How Does It Work?

Iskiab
Iskiab
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I see people talk about MMR all the time, but I have no idea how it works. I have about 30 skill points from pvp, I can’t recall the name of my rank, is this what decides who I’m matched against? If not how can I tell what tier I’m in?

I’d love to read a detailed write up about how it works.
Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
Havoc Warhammer - Alair
LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    qGDfRSf.jpg
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure but i dont think it is linked with your alliance level

I think it is linked with the results of your bg matches

I guess if you win your mmr is increased

If you beat someone with higer mmr then yours is increased by a bigger value

Im not sure just guessing

I think @Thogard did a post about this but in the end zos did not provide clear replies
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So it’s an opaque system and no one knows exactly how it works, and there’s no way to check what your rank is? Weird.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    So it’s an opaque system and no one knows exactly how it works, and there’s no way to check what your rank is? Weird.

You’ve just been zo$$ed
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos never told people how it works but it’s clear that it’s at least linked to wins and matches played. Play long enough and you’ll know what category you’re in just by the players you’re facing and the quality of the matches.
  • Qwazzy
    Qwazzy
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't.
    Smallscale/Solo player on multiple servers

PC North America - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 16
    AD Templar - PvP 33
    AD Nightblade - PvP 17
    AD Dragonknight - PvP 19
    AD Necromancer - PvP 22
    EP Sorcerer - PvP 20
    EP Templar - PvP 21
    EP Nightblade - PvP 20
    DC Sorcerer - PvP 16
    DC Templar - PvP 24
    DC Nightblade - PvP 18
    Xbox North America - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 32
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 20
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 14
    AD Templar - PvP 41
    AD Templar - PvP 16
    AD Templar - PvP 14
    AD Warden - PvP 29
    AD Nightblade - PvP 27
    AD Dragonknight - PvP 18
    AD Necromancer - PvP 14
    Xbox Europe - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 42
    AD Templar - PvP 36
    EP Sorcerer - PvP 16
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its for BG's only.. basically its an attempt to match you with people who are equally as skilled... HOWEVER its flawed because what you will find is that by winning matches you will wait longer and longer to find a game only to be stitched up against pre-mades or dropped into a losing team with 5 min left and 400 points to get.. i've been in the queue 21 min now and thought i would just come nosy around the forums to kill time..

If you want a really bad BG experience .. get a high MMR.
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish you can see your mmr
  • Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you go up, you never go down. You will float forever in the vast nothingness of high mmr space. Eventually you will stop thinking.
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one knows for sure. Most likely it's only based on win/loss like most systems, but it may also weight damage and healing somewhat. I find this unlikely though as damage/healing weighted MMRs can lead to players ranking higher than they otherwise should be.

If you win a lot, you should expect your MMR to go up. If you track your wins/losses, every time you win, it should go up. If you have a positive overall win rate (over 50%), and maintain it, it's likely that your MMR is *always* going up, but going up may mean a 1 point gain.

What I'd like to know about MMR is not what my MMR or what other players' MMR is, but whether there's decay or not.
    Edited by ecru on February 9, 2019 11:35PM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, it would be nice to find out if it decays and how it works.

I think I’m in the middle or high tier of MMR but am not sure. I always see certain people like one guy sekbob who’s high up in the leaderboards, but my wait time isn’t bad and I usually only do the daily.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure there is no hidden MMR and the "MMR" used is just the alliance rank
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s linked to how many “medals” you earn in a BG match. Since earning a medal is as easy as light attacking from your spawn, your MMR basically goes up by how often you play.

So, the more matches you play (the more medals you earn) the higher your MMR will be.

The problem is that MMR never goes down. So even if you were a God among Noobs and wtf-wrecked every noob wearing every mis-matched set of light armor, now you’re the one getting wrecked because you played so many matches that your MMR is through the roof. And no matter how many times you die, you’re still in there earning the “you suck hard” medals, which makes your MMR go up even more.

So now you’re crouched in a corner, crying over your horrendous BG death ratio, hoping the pre-made doesn’t find you stealthed, eating scoop after scoop of Rocky Road Ice cream, before finally coming to the forums to cry for nerfs.

It’s the cycle of PvP.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    K, that would make sense actually. I’m around pvp rank 28 or something. However I pvp heal so my final score is always low.

Seems like I have the best of both worlds, I get good opponents but don’t have the long wait times that others have mentioned.

I almost feel sorry for fotm spec chasers. If they’ve only copied and pasted their specs without experimenting to learn why people say what they do, and what generally accepted ideas are flat out wrong, they’ll literally have no chance at winning in higher brackets. Plus they’ll have no way to lower their score unless they reroll.

Still matching people who’ve played a lot against each other is fair. If they didn’t it would be like doing BGs on your lowby alt, winning all the time loses it’s lustre fast and what you want is a challenge. It’s like going to a preschool and picking a fight, just feels wrong.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 10, 2019 3:57PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair