Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Favourite Era?

VDoom1
VDoom1
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone.

First a warning.
***Some story spoilers if you have not played much of ESO. Spoilers also if you have not played Oblivion or Skyrim. You have been warned.***

Just a note.
I will not include The Dawn Era. Which is also known as the era when time began and the world was created. Because well that is creation, Elder Scrolls Big Bang.

I can include some basics of what happened in each era, main events.

The Merethic Era
The Aldmeri people left their homeland of Aldmeris to settle in new places and coasts around Tamriel. The Atmorans also left their homeland of Atmora. The Nords began settling in the northern areas of Tamriel. The first era marks the beginning of the Camoran dynasty in Valenwood.

The First Era
Rise of the Cyrodilic Empire and the Alessian rebellion. The death of Reman Cyrdoiil III and the dawn of the first Empire of man, led by Saint Alessia. The first Orsinium was formed, as well as the first kingdom of Skyrim and the first kingdom of the Nords.

The Second Era ESO (Where we are now in ESO.) Mannimarcos plan to merge Coldharbour and Nirn. Three Banner War, which we are actively taking a part in currently.
Not sure I need to say much here. :wink:

The Third Era Oblivion + Morrowind
Septims rule as Emperors in Cyrodiil. Second eruption of Red Mountain and Morrowind also takes place in the Third era. Also as we know via Oblivion, the assassination of Uriel Septim the VII and the Oblivion Crisis.

The Fourth Era Skyrim
Rise of the Thalmor, the Great War within the Third Empire. And of course, The Dragonborn. The return of the Dragons and Alduin.

These are very short descriptions. You can read more here:
https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Era

But with this said which is your favorite era? :)

I have to say I think the First Era is my favorite. Tamriel seemed most stable then, most peaceful. As well as Alessia ruling, being blessed by Akatosh.
Edited by VDoom1 on February 16, 2019 9:49AM
We Fight For Cyrodiil.
We fight for The Daggerfall Covenant.
We fight for The Aldmeri Dominion.
We fight for The Ebonheart Pact.
We fight for Tamriel!
CP 1200+
Grand Master Crafter | Tamriel Hero
Imperial Dragonknight
Khajiit Necromancer
Altmer Templar | Dunmer Nightblade
Khajiit Nightblade | Argonian Dragonknight
Altmer Sorcerer | Breton Nightblade
Nord Warden | Dunmer Sorcerer
Guild - Priests Of Hircine
ESO Since 2014
PC - EU

Favourite Era? 79 votes

The Merethic Era
11%
xMovingTargetAJTC5000Fvh09NLArchMikemDBZVelenaFLL200CStratlocwinniejohnsonFal_El 9 votes
The First Era
12%
wenchmore420b14_ESORecktrithiusOediphitryvalidifyedneb18_ESOVDoom1LadyNalcaryaveloSylraptorClaudmanrexagamemnonStarlockYsbriel 10 votes
The Second Era
17%
BeardimusjeedrzejMrGravesKeldheirSeminolegirl1992VietfoxCielster_WoodmauleseCardthiefgjohnson146WildRaptorXWirephifierjmaesHappyTheCamperNimrhys 14 votes
The Third Era
50%
Kikazarurosendoichinoveb17_ESOczarTommy83SilverwillowBlack_FlameScythe_Mercerjhall03KulvarAliyavanaCadburyCloudlessMythicEmperorShadow_AkulaDracan_FontomRaddlemanNumber7NeoealthVanthras79Jacen_VeronAztrias 40 votes
The Fourth Era
7%
DelpifakingfocusedhuschdeguddzjedrjokepuOgouHati 6 votes
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The First Era
    Anything which isn't the boring 4th Era.

I like the First Era because it's very magical and eventful, same applies to the Merethic, Second and Third Era. The Fourth Era just seems so...Dead and uneventful despite the 'monumental' feeling the game of Skyrim was supposed to have.
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • jmaes
    jmaes
    ✭✭
    The Second Era
    Second Era. It's the Interregnum, so any weird flux of events can happen and leave only vestiges of it happening behind. It makes ESO's story wild but dynamic and appropriate.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Third Era
    Third Era was the most fascinating imo.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know you didn't include it, but for me it's the Dawn Era, because Lorkhan's story is my favourite among the lore.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Third Era. TES III Morrowind.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Third Era
    The 3rd Era has it all for me. A functioning Empire and all the guilds. I really liked the context and the direction that those institutions gave to my characters' stories. Each one of them provided their own sense of mission in addition to the games' main quest lines. In particular, I found it very easy to identify with the Septim Empire and the blades. It felt so much like they were doing the right thing.

ESO, in the 2nd Era is only my second favourite. That's mainly because there is no Empire. I really miss it. The whole Three Banners War thing is just so dumb I find it impossible to identify with any of the parties involved. The Vestige's origin story, such as it is, in the Main Quest is the only thing that I have been able to use give my characters a sense of mission in ESO.

Skyrim, in the 4th Era is my least favourite. The Empire and guilds barely there. Everything falling into ruin. Hardly any magic or daedra. Just men running around, shouting and hitting things with big lumps of metal. Very sad. I fear that TES VI will be more of the same.

While I have really enjoyed trying to make sense out of the lore of the earlier eras, and constructing a coherent historical narrative of my own, I don't think they would provide a suitable setting for game play. It's all gods and demi-gods right through to the 1st Era.
    PC EU
  • Bilarion
    Bilarion
    Soul Shriven
    The Third Era
    I like the 3rd Era mainly because of the Empire. My least favorite would be the 4th. I'm a milk drinker.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The First Era
    1st Era for the separation of the Chimer and the Altmer, the battle of red mountain, the creation of the Dark Elves in their current form, Indoril Nerevar and the rise of the Trubunal.

Also the 3rd era, more for the events of morrowind than the oblivion crysis.

Im somewhat a sucker for Dunmer/Morrowind lore, if you couldn't tell.

PS; *** the Dwemer.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Third Era
    If you disagree you have a 100% chance of being called “N’wah”
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The First Era
    I really want an Elder Scrolls game set in the 1st Era because... Dwemer. I want a game where we can interact with actual Dwemer. Sure, leave their disappearance a mystery, but dang it... let's have an Elder Scrolls game with Dwemer (no, Morrowind doesn't really count).
  • Scythe_Mercer
    Scythe_Mercer
    ✭✭✭
    The Third Era
    Third, it was satisfying to see near extinction occur when Red Year happened. Despite Dunmer being my third favorite the Red Year is funny and well deserved. The Oblivion Crisis for sure set many events in motion and TES: Oblivion was certainly a fun nostalgic game for me.
    Edited by Scythe_Mercer on February 12, 2019 2:36AM
  • Hysorn
    Hysorn
    ✭✭
    The Third Era
    Well, Third Era, however, this is largely due to my 2 favorite games being part of it, Morrowind and Oblivion, not to mention the events of Arena and Daggerfall.
    However, the most interesting for me is definitely the Merethic Era, due to we knowing so little about it.
  • KhajiitFelix
    KhajiitFelix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Third Era
    We don't know much about 4th Era yet so I can't vote for it.

Also why didn't you include Morrowind in 3rd Era?
    Edited by KhajiitFelix on February 13, 2019 9:26PM
  • VDoom1
    VDoom1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The First Era
    We don't know much about 4th Era yet so I can't vote for it.

Also why didn't you include Morrowind in 3rd Era?

@KhajiitFelix My bad. I actually didn't realize Morrowind takes place in the same era as Oblivion. I've edited the post. My apologies to Morrowind. :blush: It's actually the Elder Scrolls game I've played the least.
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    I know you didn't include it, but for me it's the Dawn Era, because Lorkhan's story is my favourite among the lore.

@Jaimeh
    After reading some about Lorkahn on ESO wiki I wish I had included the Dawn Era. I agree it's a good story. :) More happened in the Dawn era than I realized. Well you learn something new everyday. :smile:
    Edited by VDoom1 on February 16, 2019 9:55AM
    We Fight For Cyrodiil.
    We fight for The Daggerfall Covenant.
    We fight for The Aldmeri Dominion.
    We fight for The Ebonheart Pact.
    We fight for Tamriel!
    CP 1200+
    Grand Master Crafter | Tamriel Hero
    Imperial Dragonknight
    Khajiit Necromancer
    Altmer Templar | Dunmer Nightblade
    Khajiit Nightblade | Argonian Dragonknight
    Altmer Sorcerer | Breton Nightblade
    Nord Warden | Dunmer Sorcerer
    Guild - Priests Of Hircine
    ESO Since 2014
    PC - EU
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Merethic Era
    I've been wanting to see what Tamriel looked like back in the Dawn and Merethic Eras just because of the theory that Tamriel is in a state of technological decline as time goes on. That would mean the earlier Eras saw some of the most advanced civilizations in Elder Scrolls.

Maybe this is just my non-religious bias talking but I don't want to believe Nirn had a Creationist beginning thanks to the Aedra like the Lore wants us to think. We know from reality that the world has existed long before people started recording history. The same could be true about Nirn having been around long before the Aldmer and Man started recording the Eras of time. The Dawn Era could encompass hundreds of thousands of years or even millions just because the people of today have no idea just how far back history really goes.

But for the most part I want to know what it was like at the start.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Third Era
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I've been wanting to see what Tamriel looked like back in the Dawn and Merethic Eras just because of the theory that Tamriel is in a state of technological decline as time goes on. That would mean the earlier Eras saw some of the most advanced civilizations in Elder Scrolls.

Maybe this is just my non-religious bias talking but I don't want to believe Nirn had a Creationist beginning thanks to the Aedra like the Lore wants us to think. We know from reality that the world has existed long before people started recording history. The same could be true about Nirn having been around long before the Aldmer and Man started recording the Eras of time. The Dawn Era could encompass hundreds of thousands of years or even millions just because the people of today have no idea just how far back history really goes.

I haven't noticed Tamriel suffering from a technological decline at all. It's just one which has never developed beyond the reach of what we would consider either the Medieval or Greek/Roman era.

There is quite a lot of evidence to the Divines being real. Mundus is not like our world in that regard. We get to see Divine influences first-hand.
  • Cardthief
    Cardthief
    ✭✭✭
    The Second Era
    Bruccius wrote: »

I haven't noticed Tamriel suffering from a technological decline at all. It's just one which has never developed beyond the reach of what we would consider either the Medieval or Greek/Roman era.

There is quite a lot of evidence to the Divines being real. Mundus is not like our world in that regard. We get to see Divine influences first-hand.

This, also, since Nirn is a place full of magic and active gods, there really isn't much of a reason for races to advance technology, since they can do most of what tech does but more efficiently with magic.
    (MC) Main DPS: Redz Kuinn - Lvl 50 - MagSorc - PvE
    Main Healer: Soranna Anilu - Lvl 50 - Templar - PvE
    Main Tank: Seamus Kuinn - Lvl 50 - Dragonknight - PvE
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Third Era
    Cardthief wrote: »

This, also, since Nirn is a place full of magic and active gods, there really isn't much of a reason for races to advance technology, since they can do most of what tech does but more efficiently with magic.

Exactly, which is why only one race, the Dwemer, has really advanced themselves. They did not see the ''Gods'' as real gods, and preferred logical thinking over divine intervention.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cardthief wrote: »

Exactly, which is why only one race, the Dwemer, has really advanced themselves. They did not see the ''Gods'' as real gods, and preferred logical thinking over divine intervention.

The other one who did, Sotha Sil, decided to hide his stuff that piggy-backed off the Dwemer away from everyone in the Clockwork City, so the rest of Tamriel never even really got to get the transfer of technology going once the Dwemer vanished. If he'd shared his tech with the Dunmer, they certainly would have been willing to adopt it coming from their Tribune, but they never got the chance.
  • AJTC5000
    AJTC5000
    ✭✭✭
    The Merethic Era
    Very much interested in the primordial aspects of the Merethic lore - how the Divines came to be, the Daedric princes, all that good stuff.

• PC/NA - @AJTC5000
      DC - Alena-Draco - Dunmer Magicka Templar

PvE Achievements
      Trials
      • vHRC HM
      • vAA HM
      • vSO HM
      • vMoL HM (Dro-m'Athra Destroyer)
      • vHoF HM (Tick-Tock Tormentor/The Dynamo)
      • vAS HM (Saintly Saviour/Immortal Redeemer)
      • vCR HM
      • vSS HM
      • vRG (Oax HM)
      • vDSR (Reef Guardian HM)

Arenas
      • vMA Flawless
      • vBRP
      • vVA Flawless (Spirit Slayer)

Dungeons
      • vFL HM (Leave No Bone Unbroken)
      • vSCP HM (Mountain God)
      • vMHK HM (Pure Lunacy)
      • vMoS HM (Apex Predator)
      • vFV HM (Relentless Raider)
      • vDoM HM (Depths Defier)
      • vLoM HM (Nature's Wrath)
      • vMGF HM (Defanged the Devourer)
      • vIcereach HM (No Rest for the Wicked/Storm Foe)
      • vUG HM (In Defiance of Death/Bonecaller's Bane)
      • vSG HM
      • vCT HM (Bane of Thorns)
      • vBDV HM (Ardent Bibliophile)
      • vCauldron HM (Subterranean Smasher)
      • vRPB HM (Bastion Breaker/of the Silver Rose)
      • vDC HM (Battlespire's Best/The Dreaded)
      • vCA HM
      • vSR HM
      • vERE HM (Invaders' Bane)
      • vGD HM (Fist of Tava)
      • vSH HM (Magnastylus in the Making/Curator's Champion)
      • vBS HM (Temporal Tempest)
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Fourth Era

Considering the existence of the imperial mananauts and the Alinor sunbirds on top of the supposed uses of the dreamsleeve for communication I'd say Tamriel is definitely suffering from "technological" decline. Although, seeing how magical Nirn is you can't really have advanced technology without a big dose of magic in it.
  • Kulvar
    Kulvar
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Third Era
    The most terrible thing about ESO being set in the 2nd era is that we have gold instead of septims.
    Coward Argonian scholar of the Ebonheart Pact
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The First Era
    @Kulvar
    They're called drakes in the 2nd Era.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Delivery_Schedule_and_Manifests

"Hallin's Stand: 4 crates of food, livestock (4 pigs, 2 goats, 10 chickens), 200 gold drakes"
    Edited by Claudman on February 28, 2019 9:49PM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Kagesaiga
    Kagesaiga
    ✭✭
    Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion all take place in the third Era. It's the era with the most coverage at the moment.
  • Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Third Era
    I voted 3rd era. I have no idea why. I like all eras as there’s always some good stories hidden away
    Kulvar wrote: »
    The most terrible thing about ESO being set in the 2nd era is that we have gold instead of septims.

Why would gold be called Septims when the Septim bloodline doesn’t exist yet/hasn’t rose to power yet?
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The First Era
    Starlock wrote: »
    I really want an Elder Scrolls game set in the 1st Era because... Dwemer. I want a game where we can interact with actual Dwemer. Sure, leave their disappearance a mystery, but dang it... let's have an Elder Scrolls game with Dwemer (no, Morrowind doesn't really count).

What if I told you the Dwemer are mostly cool because they're an unknown.

You cant have cake and eat it.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Darkhorse1975
    Darkhorse1975
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If Zos or Bethesda released a Dwemer spinoff title, it would probably be at least mildly interesting.
    Master Craftsman!
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Third Era
    Third to 4th era, when Argonians started to kick ass on the planes of oblivion and took revenge on the great house of Telvanni and their former slavers.
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Merethic Era

That's one opinion. I'm sure many others find them cool because of what IS known, the constructs we've seen, the ruined cities and facilities, the steam powered technology. People want to know more.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The First Era
    Most important events happen from the end of the merethic era throughout the whole first Era, The second Era is unraveling but it’s just the beginning of the end, everything else from that point is just ripples that are slowly fading away that by the 4th Era even a shadow has more presence than what remains