Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Interested in ESO Plus Membership? Trial it for Free!"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
02ff7dbdd5605db611b73d5ffbc3410c.jpg

This is the official discussion thread for the Interested in ESO Plus Membership? Trial it for Free! blog article.

Check out ESO Plus membership for yourself during our free trial event – no strings attached!
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is there no benefit to Plus members during this trial? Is that another former feature of Plus that has gone away?
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    More information??? Its empty in blog, when event starts and how to apply it?
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No crates during ESO Plus trials, no crates in daily rewards... T_T
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom can we please hear "yes", "no" or at least "maybe" regarding free crown crates in future?

P. S. If it's "no", some "because..." would be greatly appreciated
  • Atallanta
    Atallanta
    ✭✭✭✭
    As an ESO+ player I feel neglected and ignored :/

Free crown crates during eso+ trials were a perfect compensation for those who pay for sub.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad to see that this is how ZOS has chosen to address DLC events like the Morrowind Anniversary and the previous Clockwork City event.

Especially with Event Tickets being placed in the Crown Store soon, I do think its important to note the ways the Dev Team is making sure that Event Tickets for the Indriik and eventually other rewards remains accessible to the entire playerbase, not just those who pay for DLC, ESO+, or crown store tickets. That's pretty awesome!

I hope this trend continues so that more players are able to experience the excellent DLC zones during their Anniversary events.
    Edited by VaranisArano on February 6, 2019 5:12PM
  • Sanctuary_Reaper
    Sanctuary_Reaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope this trend continues so that more players are able to experience the excellent DLC zones during their Anniversary events.

Here is a novel idea, here me out, i know its a tad leftfield... but

If they want to experience these zones, then why not buy them like the rest of us have?

Like i said i know it's a tad leftfield.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a novel idea, here me out, i know its a tad leftfield... but

If they want to experience these zones, then why not buy them like the rest of us have?

Like i said i know it's a tad leftfield.

Well, ZOS could easily do that. They could have the Morrowind Anniversary Event, the TG/DB Event, Orsinium/IC, and Clockwork City Events all be locked behind that paywall so that players who want Event Tickets to buy the quarterly Indriik berries have to buy/subscribe the DLC to get them.

Some players might go for it. During the Anniversaries, the DLC are usually on sale anyway. There's even precedent for it - Midyear Mayhem's achievement rewards require players to participate in the Imperial City DLC content and there's usually not been an ESO+ trial on at the same time.

Still, its a generous gesture by ZOS to make sure that they aren't designing event tickets to be a cash grab by expecting players to buy DLC/subscribe in order to get event-locked time-limited eventually-purchaseable rewards.

Its also a shrewd marketing move to get players to experience the content and hopefully enjoy it enough to pay for it, or better yet, hooked on the Crafting Bag so they'll subscribe :)

So I appreciate ZOS using the ESO+ trials to make sure that base-game-only players have their chance to get Event Tickets along with those of us who own the DLC or subscribe. I think its a generous gesture for the benefit of customers - from a company we often complain is too focused on milking us for money. This is also a marketing move, of course, aimed at getting players to experience and therefore hopefully buy the content they enjoy, but I think its worth applauding ZOS when their marketing schemes are to the benefit of players. This time, they've used a carrot rather than a stick.

Or to put it the other way, if ZOS chose to lock the DLC events behind the paywall, we'd be making dire predictions about how ZOS only introduced Event Tickets and berries as part of a grand monetization scheme to pressure players to buy the content.

ZOS chose a more generous path with the Morrowind Event and I appreciate that. I hope they continue this trend.
  • Kegluneq
    Kegluneq
    ✭✭
    Sooooooooooo... non subscribers get to obtain their tickets while eso+ subscribers get nothing? Seems fair.

I'm not demanding crates with every event, but with these eso+ try outs going in perfect sync with the anniversary events, what's the point of subscribing? The majestic statuetes? or that fantastic 10% (rouhgly) discount on some crown store items? Which, by the way, still end up costing more than the ammount of crowns we get every eso+ month.

I might as well just stop my sub and not pay a single dlc or anything in the future and just rush through these zones with each new anniversary/eso+ tryout. I've met some people who do exactly that.

I understand it's not cheap to pay the staff behind the game and this is a nice way to attract more customers but just ignoring those who already support you is not nice (putting it friendly)
    Edited by Kegluneq on February 6, 2019 6:27PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kegluneq wrote: »
    Sooooooooooo... non subscribers get to obtain their tickets while eso+ subscribers get nothing? Seems fair.

I'm not demanding crates with every event, but with these eso+ try outs going in perfect sync with the anniversary events, what's the point of subscribing? The majestic statuetes? or that fantastic 10% (rouhgly) discount on some crown store items? Which, by the way, still end up costing more than the ammount of crowns we get every eso+ month.

I might as well just stop my sub and not pay a single dlc or anything in the future and just rush through these zones with each new anniversary/eso+ tryout. I've met some people who do exactly that.

I understand it's not cheap to pay the staff behind the game and this is a nice way to attract more customers but just ignoring those who already support you is not nice (putting it friendly)

First of all, the free trial doesn't last for the entire event. The MW anniversary event lasts through 10am EST on 2/18, while the trial only lasts through 2/12. That happened with CWC as well, where the trial ended before the event did.

Also, I just don't get this whole "compensation" thing that some ESO+ members seem to think they should get. I'm an ESO+ member, and I don't see anything wrong with them offering a free trial, hoping to get players to sub. If you don't think the benefits you get while being subbed are enough, then just unsub already. We get lots of benefits for our sub, and we certainly aren't missing out on anything while a free trial is going on. Free trials don't get Crowns nor do they have access to the ESO+ deals (including the free items). So, they aren't getting all of the membership benefits that ESO+ members do. It's a limited trial of what, 5 days or so, and they only get partial benefits.
  • Kegluneq
    Kegluneq
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    Kegluneq wrote: »

First of all, the free trial doesn't last for the entire event. The MW anniversary event lasts through 10am EST on 2/18, while the trial only lasts through 2/12. That happened with CWC as well, where the trial ended before the event did.

Also, I just don't get this whole "compensation" thing that some ESO+ members seem to think they should get. I'm an ESO+ member, and I don't see anything wrong with them offering a free trial, hoping to get players to sub. If you don't think the benefits you get while being subbed are enough, then just unsub already. We get lots of benefits for our sub, and we certainly aren't missing out on anything while a free trial is going on. Free trials don't get Crowns nor do they have access to the ESO+ deals (including the free items). So, they aren't getting all of the membership benefits that ESO+ members do. It's a limited trial of what, 5 days or so, and they only get partial benefits.

We eso+ members don't "think" we should get a "compensation". In case you've forgotten (or perhaps haven't a been subscriber long enough) is that prices remain the same while benefits diminish.
    First we got crates, now we don't. They moved them to the daily rewards, now they don't show up anymore. See?
    Maybe money rains to you (and congrats on that) and don't really mind about what's going on while being happy with your digital goodies but for everyone else earning the money we spend in this game, we worry things will only continue going downhill. If no one voices their discomfort then, on the eyes of the developers, there's nothing wrong.
    And don't worry, I don't need anyone in the forums to tell me what to do with my subscription once I'm no longer satisfied with what I get. Thank you.
  • drguild
    drguild
    I have a question for a non paying member.

If I activate the free trial next time there is a free trial can I activate that also?

I am mby thinking later in the year of subbing to get the craft bag depending but just wondering if I can use the free trials as they come until then to start stocking said bag for when I am ready for doing writs etc.
  • Shadowdream
    Shadowdream
    ✭✭✭
    Just checking to see if there will be anything at all for subscribers during the event. It's not that I am frothing at the mouth or feel entitled or angry or anything. In fact, I think it's great you're not locking event tickets behind a paywall. It is just that I am paying for a service that is free for everyone during that time. It was nice in the past when you compensated us for that. What you did last year was pretty darn awesome and I crowed about how great you were and got some friends to come pay and subscribe because of that goodwill. It would be nice to see it again.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    drguild wrote: »

If I activate the free trial next time there is a free trial can I activate that also?

I am mby thinking later in the year of subbing to get the craft bag depending but just wondering if I can use the free trials as they come until then to start stocking said bag for when I am ready for doing writs etc.

Yes to all of that. You can use the free trial to stash mats in the crafting bag, dye costumes, overstuff houses with furniture, and do whatever you want in DLC zones. Later on you can activate the free trial any time it becomes available.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • drguild
    drguild
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    drguild wrote: »

Yes to all of that. You can use the free trial to stash mats in the crafting bag, dye costumes, overstuff houses with furniture, and do whatever you want in DLC zones. Later on you can activate the free trial any time it becomes available.

Awsome, thanks I'll do that then :)

Had a feeling it was this way but just wanted to make sure.
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This explains why I can't login now
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Btw. did they already increase the crowns you receive from eso+?
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • green_villain
    green_villain
    ✭✭✭
    so where is free eso+? it didnt work for me
  • Anrose
    Anrose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so where is free eso+? it didnt work for me

Same. Non-subscriber and currently no benefits active.
  • Kegluneq
    Kegluneq
    ✭✭
    It's not automatic. You have to activate the trial through the crown store. I don't know what platform you play in or if it's the same on all 3 but I'll copy from the post the information they give:

"Sounds good? Here’s how you unlock trial and get started:

1.Log into The Elder Scrolls Online.
    2.Navigate to the Crown Store.
    3.Select the ESO Plus tab.
    4.Select “Free Trial!”"

If even after doing that you don't get it then maybe you can ask customer support for help or at least to report an issue with the system.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Btw. did they already increase the crowns you receive from eso+?

Yes. You may have already recieved a "catch up" deposit of crowns.

And for those saying benefits are dropping... if the only thing you care about is free crates, might as well unsub. If access to a new Dungeon DLC and a Story DLC every year (in addition to all the others), plus new exlcusives in the Crown store isn't enough increasing benefit for you, no sense in paying a sub.

Yes, subscribers still pay for Chapters: Morrowind, Summerset, and upcomgin Elsweyr.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on February 7, 2019 9:48PM
  • alceleniel
    alceleniel
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I checked there is also a free item for ESO+ members in the crown store every month. o:)