Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO's Loremaster left Zenimax, what now?

Vilhjálmur
Vilhjálmur
✭✭✭
The recent news about Lawrence Schick leaving Zenimax Online Studios are true, but that means now the dev team doesn't have a Loremaster for the upcoming chapter and DLCs, while it's most likely they'll get another Loremaster soon, what are your thoughts on Lawrence Schick leaving Zenimax Studios and what do you think will happen next?

ESO's Loremaster left Zenimax, what now? 120 votes

I enjoyed the lore he wrote for ESO and would like him to come back
58%
PendrillionHrogunAnjalidanielclarkb16_ESOl.cockerell1968b16_ESOzariaKane_HartEiron77skeevynixRecktrithiusOediphitryIdinuseAjaxandrielSilverwillowAtAfternoonAmphithoeTaleof2CitiesAuricleRobo_HoboAetherderiusC0L0SSUS 70 votes
I disliked the lore he wrote for ESO and look forward to a new Loremaster
3%
TessituraLenithrielNecrus011TelvanniWizard 4 votes
Other
38%
Moloch1514wenchmore420b14_ESOIruil_ESOTurelusfioskalidktheroyalestpythonnub18_ESOElsonsoStreegaIndorilArwynLlethranHidesFromSunCustos91KBKBEmma_OverloadimrednecksonKamboSteelshivArrilleAlucardoChunkyCat 46 votes
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I adore the lore that Lawrence wrote for ESO, but family comes first. I respect his decision to put his heart over his hobby, even though I'll greatly miss his community interactions and lore creations.

Still, I'm curious to see who will replace him, so I'm kind of in between.
  • Steelshiv
    Steelshiv
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I enjoy what Mr. Schick wrote and am glad that he's off on another adventure...hopefully to an audio narration job...that man's voice is amazing.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I enjoyed the lore he wrote for ESO and wish him well in whatever he is off to do.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The farewell letter made me realize that a lore team is probably better. Keeps things from feeling one dimensional or static and maybe makes things fun.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly suspect that the lore for upcoming releases this year is already set, particularly Elsweyr coming in the 2nd quarter as it does.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Anything. It’s fiction.
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I believe he did an amazing job working on TES lore, but I also believe it was right of him to put family first. I hope he finds success in whatever he does next.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • Leeched
    Leeched
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Can we have Lilmothiit race now? X)
    (DC) Grimsley - MagSorc || Denderan - StamPlar || Phaedon - StamBlade || Oberon - MagPlar || Leontes - StamSorc || Saroush - MagDk || Culan - StamDen || Dullahan - StamDk
    Ruvik - MagBlade || Tivil - MagDen || Juval - MagNecro || Gargrave - StamNecro
    (EP) Vicio - MagBlade || Clavigo - MagPlar || Peritas - MagDen || Fedrak - MagSorc
    (AD) Maledicto - MagBlade || Voriak - StamBlade

PC EU || Currently CP 1500+
    Azura's Star Sotha Sil
    I serve bombs ღ - retired
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    He expanded the lore in such a great way and I'm looking forward to whatever ZOS has in store for us for the future.

ZOS left those who are interested in the lore with high expectation so they better get great succesors :hushed:
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I've enjoyed the lore he's helped create for the game but wanted to move on, I respect his choice and wish him the best.

I'm sure ZOS will find a new loremaster or just work more closely with Bethesda's.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • boggo
    boggo
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I‘ll cry all day long. QQ
  • IndorilArwynLlethran
    Other
    I absolutely don't care about ESO Lore, it is not TES lore but AU to me.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Steelshiv wrote: »
    I enjoy what Mr. Schick wrote and am glad that he's off on another adventure...hopefully to an audio narration job...that man's voice is amazing.

Pretty much this. I really doubt he comes back. He probably has a nice opportunity.
  • Enokariel
    Enokariel
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Other. I enjoyed his work and I look forward with expectations to his successor
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    Now we have no more lore
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I heard that one of the lead writers will be taking over. I can't remember his name at the moment but he apparently was responsible for Sotha Sil's dialog in CWC which was some of the best metaphysical lore we have gotten in ESO. I am pretty happy if someone like that takes over.
    Edited by Luigi_Vampa on February 7, 2019 11:13AM
    PC/EU DC
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The sky will fall in! The moon and stars crash down upon the earth! The seas will threaten to engulf the land! Deamons and revenants will walk abroad upon the face of Nirn!

Oh,wait. We've done that already. I guess the new guy will have to think of something else.

PC EU
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I vote for Jeb Cook as next Loremaster, but will SOOOO miss @ZOS_Lawrence_Schick!
    Good luck M'Lord in your future quest! Huzzah!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • MoodyGold
    MoodyGold
    Soul Shriven
    We can only mourn that he is now out of the team and pay our respects by playing the game, I guess...
    NA SERVER:

Camlassan The Holy Herald - (Vampire) Altmer Magicka Templar - Healer

Moodius Goldum - Imperial Stamina Dragonknight - Tank
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do people seriously still believe ESO is not canon? How many times does Bethesda need to confirm that it is? They own the IP, not you. You cannot decide what is or isn't canon, even a Dragon Break would canonize ESO.

Anyways, Schick was a talented Lore Master who brought back a lot of oldschool Elder Scrolls lore from Battlespire, Redguard, Arena, Daggerfall and such with the assistance of the writing team at ZoS. Games that most writers cared little to mention over at Bethesda. If he were to come back, I'd welcome him with, but family comes first over fiction.
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other

ESO is canon, though.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing lore, but if he has something bigger and better to move onto, I wouldn't expect him to return.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not the propper answer for me.

He will be missed, but family comes first, always! But hey maybe in his freetime, he could read out the telephonebook in a podcast? :)
    Edited by eso_nya on February 7, 2019 7:33PM
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they use him in TES 6 and im just glad he was a part of ESO

Did such a great job hoesntly from my knowledge the best employee ZOS had and by quite far
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Dragon mounts!

Dual wands!

Underwater combat!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I enjoy the lore by Mr. Schick. I hope he will still act as an advisor because his lore knowledge is tremendous. I hope he left a lot of ideas to ESo team that were not implemented yet, but will be in future.
    Yet he left. We will have a new Loremaster, this is inevitable. I'm both frightened and excited.
    Edited by myskyrim26 on February 8, 2019 8:08PM
  • mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    He's irreplaceable and I wish him the best. Whoever steps in has huge shoes to fill, and must be aware of the expectations so I'm not worried
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disliked the lore he wrote for ESO and look forward to a new Loremaster
    I am probably the only person in the world that thought the vanilla story was a pile of garbage, and do not care if he leaves or stays. He is as good a writer as anyone else can be. We will probably not even notice the difference. " Other " might have been a better option, but I guess I like to play devil's advocate.
  • jmaes
    jmaes
    ✭✭
    Other
    I like Lawrence, and so I am happy he is putting his own needs first. Best of luck to him.
    Tessitura wrote: »
    I am probably the only person in the world that thought the vanilla story was a pile of garbage, and do not care if he leaves or stays. He is as good a writer as anyone else can be. We will probably not even notice the difference. " Other " might have been a better option, but I guess I like to play devil's advocate.

I'm curious to know why if you don't mind? I can't say I agree or disagree because I'm very lukewarm towards all three factions' stories. The initial quests with the Prophet were lacklustre. How the respective faction stories and the 'main' quest tie into each other felt a bit abrupt at first, but otherwise fit seamlessly. The characters were memorable though.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Tessitura wrote: »

Just to clarify, he was "Loremaster" not a writer. His job was to take the scripts that the writers prepare and Lawrence would insure that the characters, locations, story-line, etc were in line with the TES universe and would communicate with Bethesda on new material.
    Example, Jeb Cook, ( another TSR alumni), wrote the storyline to Morrowind and Sir Lawrence insured that it was true to Dunmer culture, established lore, etc.
    He will be sorely missed......
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)