The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Moving /Elder Scrolls Online/live/... folders and files

burhocky
burhocky
Soul Shriven
Short version: Is it possible to move the directory currently in my Documents folder (~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online) to a new location? I'm not moving the application install, but rather my own user files. I have seen it done on Windows by using a symbolic link, and tried a similar process on my Mac, but it did not work.

Long version: I have an iMac (5K, Late 2014) and a MacBook Pro (15" Retina, Mid-2012) that both run ESO through Steam. I also have my Documents & Desktop set up to sync through iCloud. This means that the folders referenced above get synced through iCloud. This isn't a huge issue, but it 1) sometimes breaks AddOns, and 2) sometimes breaks Video settings. I am wanting to create local, un-synced versions of the folders on each Mac.

Just copying the folder to another location does not work, as ESO still references the folders in my Documents. If there is no such folder in my Documents, ESO creates a new one and starts from scratch—adjusting brightness settings, agreeing to terms of service, choosing a server, etc.

Similar issues happen when making an alias in my Documents that points to a local copy of the folders. Similar issues also occur when creating a symbolic link from my Documents folder to a local copy of the folders.

Has anyone been able to do this successfully on a Mac? TIA
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my advice is don't try and move the folders/files !

There are enough ongoing issues/bugs/crashes with the game as it is at the moment and you'll potentially make things worse by moving stuff around :)
    Edited by Rowjoh on February 4, 2019 8:32AM
  • Dyvm
    Dyvm
    I had a lot of trouble when I moved my user folder to another drive (but kept the main boot drive as the boot one). I now switch to my admin account on that main drive to play (and crash). ESO itself seems to work OK on the external user folder drive but all my addons break. (they load but, for instance, sky shards does not show any icons so no sky shards are displayed).
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put My Documents with Windows on a platter drive to reduce wear on the SSD. It caused some weird issues with this game. So, while you can move the other My Documents stuff, you probably want to keep your ESO stuff in the stock location.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Symptoms that you have described why you cannot use TESO user folder together with iCloud are tbh a bit weird. Files that are referenced frequently are supposed to be anyway kept locally.

Could you tell more what addons are affected or those video issues happen after some particular thing perhaps? Also what is your system version? Asking as it looks like either a bug in game, bug in a system, network connectivity issue (i.e. due to which iCloud is not responsive enough).

I am running 2013 year iMac (not even a hybrid disk) with Mojave and never had any issue with TESO working together with Documents put in iCloud. For me it works as it is supposed to.

Also one more question: Do you have enabled Steam Cloud? If yes then disable it for TESO and see if that helps. All of the issues that you have described for both symlinks as well as iCloud could be caused by this too.
    Edited by alterfenixeb17_ESO on February 10, 2019 4:06PM
  • Deeprave
    Deeprave
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that ~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/ cannot be moved, seems to be hard-coded.

I wished it was movable - then I'd be able to run two separate clients. I own 2 copies (one Steam version, the other regular) but can only run 1 on the same machine without having to juggle this folder and confuse iCloud.

IMHO, it *should* be in ~/Library/Application Support/. Maybe addons can stay there though, but most of the files shouldn't be considered user editable therefore don't belong in ~/Documents.