Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Extinct races? And goblins

TiZzA93
TiZzA93
✭✭✭
Hi im interested in learning lore about extinct races and i wander if someone can give me a list of them.
Also in skyrim there were falmer/snow elves, why aren't they in eso?
Another Q are there any races hidden in-game surviving still or easter eggs, i saw the kothrinhi ppl but SPOILERS they r undead not alive right?
Final Q why do goblins seem so much more humanish in appearance and more advanced in eso, and lots of sub species riekling etc.
Ok final Q lol, are the ogres a species of goblin, seem to b together often and also both use same technology/magic etc
  • Vilhjálmur
    Vilhjálmur
    ✭✭✭
    Snow elves aren't on ESO because they were slaughtered by the five hundred companions that came from Atmora to Skyrim during the first era (if i'm not wrong), the race was considered extinct but some managed to make it to tunnels and dwemer cities where the dwemer told them that if they wanted to live they had to consume a poisonous substance that eventually turned them into what they are in TES V, falmer, it is believed they did this to make them weaker in order to enslave them, after that there was only one known living snow elf during the fourth era that you find in the Dawnguard DLC of Skyrim, but he turned evil and the dragonborn eventually kills him.

The dwemer dissapeared because of Kagrenac using his tools to harness the power of the heart of Lorkhan and power the Numidium (they attempted to make their own god) during the battle of Red Mountain in the first era, it is speculated they became the skin of the Numidium or dissapeared into a different realm but none of it is confirmed, there was only one known living dwemer in the fourth era which you can find in TES III, he explains he was traveling to a different realm when the battle of Red Mountain happened and came back just to see all of his race gone.

The Ayleid were the first settlers of Cyrodiil to stablish an Empire and built the Imperial City, they made the amulet of kings out of the crystalized blood of Lorkhan, they were infamous for enslaving human races which eventually led to the Alessian rebellion in the first era, the humans eventually drove off most of the Ayleid from Cyrodiil and many of them were slaughtered by Pelinal Whitestrake, like the races above there still are some remaining Ayleids found in ESO and TES IV but they are only considered a shadow of what they once were

The Chimer were a race of Aldmer that left the Summerset Isles and embarked on a journey to Morrowind led by Saint Veloth, Azura cursed them when Vivec, Almalexia and Sotha Sil used Kagrenac's tools on the heart of Lorkhan to become living gods when they promised to not mess with the heart of Lorkhan, the curse gave the Chimer dark skin and red eyes, they basically became the Dunmer, only Almalexia and Vivec kept their Chimer traits with Vivec being half Chimer and half Dunmer, I don't think the Chimer are an extinct race since they basically are the Dunmer with a curse, but I'll put it here anyways

Those are the most well known extinct races but there is still some other races that are considered extinct that you can look up like Nedes and Atmorans

And goblins looking more human in ESO is probably not lore related, maybe they just wanted to update the models similar to how some Dunmer look horrendous and blueish in Oblivion and then gray again in Skyrim

Ogres and Goblins are considered to be ''Golbin-Ken'', a term used for beastfolk that consist of Goblins, Ogres, Orcs and Gremlins (gremlins are tiny ''orc-rats'' that rarely appear anywhere in the games, I've only seen one in Redguard when the protagonist turned into one) and Orcs only fall under this category because they are mistaken by a different race of Goblins when they are actually a corrupted race of elves. So yeah, Ogres might be related to Goblins, but they are a different race of primitive beastfolk

That's all I know, if some of my info is wrong anyone can feel free to correct me
  • TiZzA93
    TiZzA93
    ✭✭✭
    Cool thanks for all the info eso really is awesome
    So much deep lore etc
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TiZzA93 wrote: »
    Final Q why do goblins seem so much more humanish in appearance and more advanced in eso, and lots of sub species riekling etc.

Well, appearance is just a technical matter. Goblins of Oblivion are even more humanish - tall, walk almost like men and mer (drunken, though). In ESO the Goblins are just perfect, to my taste. And ESO provides a lot of lore on them.

As for being more advanced - well, we actually never see their true life. In Oblivion we watched them doing magic, they were keeping rats as cattle, they had weapons and armor of their own style. They drunk alcohol made by people.

They just had no tents comparing to the Goblins of ESO, but who knows why? Warm Cyrodiil climate? Or we just didn't venture too deep in caves where these tents are supposed to be?

As for Riekling, they are a mistery. They are a race of the North Tamriel. More advanced than Goblins - at least in Solstheim DLC of TES5 Skyrim.

• Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are also some beast races that are not too well-known: the Imga, an extinct race of ape-folk, the Lilmothiit, an extinct race of fox-folk who once inhabited Black Marsh, and the Bird-men of Cyrodiil. The latter were the ones who gifted the elves with the land that became the Imperial City when Topal the Pilot taught them language/writing.

In addition, there is a race of elves called the Sinistral Mer, or Left-Handed Elves, who fought with the ancestors of the Redguards on the continent of Yokuda before it sank into the sea.

• baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    Kallykat wrote: »
    There are also some beast races that are not too well-known: the Imga, an extinct race of ape-folk, the Lilmothiit, an extinct race of fox-folk who once inhabited Black Marsh, and the Bird-men of Cyrodiil. The latter were the ones who gifted the elves with the land that became the Imperial City when Topal the Pilot taught them language/writing.

In addition, there is a race of elves called the Sinistral Mer, or Left-Handed Elves, who fought with the ancestors of the Redguards on the continent of Yokuda before it sank into the sea.

The Sinistral was lost as a race when Yokuda sank under the water most the races that are ancient like your list where pretty much wiped out by the Thrassian Plague Falmer where near wiped out by the Atmorains from Atmora but managed to live onward as Falmer in Skyrim under fround even the Falmer Snow Elves stated that they are getting smater bit by bit but I doubt they where known except by legend in the Second Era.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can check out this page as well for years of compiled information about TES races and their lore.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Races
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    baltic1284 wrote: »

The Sinistral was lost as a race when Yokuda sank under the water most the races that are ancient like your list where pretty much wiped out by the Thrassian Plague Falmer where near wiped out by the Atmorains from Atmora but managed to live onward as Falmer in Skyrim under fround even the Falmer Snow Elves stated that they are getting smater bit by bit but I doubt they where known except by legend in the Second Era.

Exactly. The OP is asking about extinct races.
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only good goblins are the ones who never come out of their stinking holes - Goblin Slayer
    Edited by Dread_Guy on February 13, 2019 1:38AM
    "My name is Julius Decimus Heraclius, Guildmaster of the Scions of the Sun, Brigadier of the Covenant Army, loyal servant to the High King Emeric. Brother to a betrayed legion, son to a fallen empire. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." ---Julius Decimus Heraclius (Imperial Templar)
  • Ravena
    Ravena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why did the Lilmothit have to die!!

I bet they would've looked adorable
    Edited by Ravena on February 13, 2019 1:58AM
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nedes are extinct technical from the way I understand it. Haven't seen them mentioned. (Although lamia Bal is a nede vamp)

atmoran + nede = Nord
    Yokudan +need = redguard
    Aldmer +nede = Breton
    Nede +alyeid/akiviri = imperial (depending on the side of cyrodill
  • Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snow elves aren't on ESO because they were slaughtered by the five hundred companions that came from Atmora to Skyrim during the first era (if i'm not wrong), the race was considered extinct but some managed to make it to tunnels and dwemer cities where the dwemer told them that if they wanted to live they had to consume a poisonous substance that eventually turned them into what they are in TES V, falmer, it is believed they did this to make them weaker in order to enslave them, after that there was only one known living snow elf during the fourth era that you find in the Dawnguard DLC of Skyrim, but he turned evil and the dragonborn eventually kills him.

That's all I know, if some of my info is wrong anyone can feel free to correct me

Mostly correct just one small thing:

There are 2 snow elves in the 4th era. Gelebor the one who sent the Dragonborn to kill Vyrthr, is also a snow elf. Gelebor returns to the cave where the first shrine is to keep watch and remains hopeful that there are other snow elves out there or that the Falmer will one day become civilised (the best he could hope for since the blinding of the race was permanent). Thus we leave Gelebor as the last known surviving snow elf.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

As far as Im aware the Imga are not extinct. ZOS was simply lazy and instead of including them, they gave the excuse that they hid themselves away somehow during this time period.

And the existence of the Bird-Men of Cyrodiil is actually pretty hotly debated as Topal the Pilots poem had things in it that was eventually retconned, like Orcs. Topal was an Aldmer which means he would have known of the Orcs if he lived during the time, or after the schism that created the Orsimer. So far Topal is the only source that supposedly puts the Orcs existence prior to Boethiah eating Trinimac. For the Bird-Men, Some people argue that the Bird-Men was actually the Aylieds prior to that lore being fleshed out. While others argue the Aylieds killed off the Bird-Men and adopted/absorbed some of their cultural aspects. UESP posits the idea that the Khajiit killed them, because...cats love to kill birds in real life. Either way, the Bird-Men was mentioned once in the lore, in Topals poem, and havent been spoken of or seen since. Which leads many to believe they are no longer apart of the franchises accepted lore based on the fact that Bethesda has done nothing with that bit of lore when they created Oblivion.
    Edited by Korah_Eaglecry on February 18, 2019 5:55AM
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Nisekev
    Nisekev
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that Elsweyr will make cat-elves and half of other Khajiit "breeds" "extinct".
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ravena wrote: »
    Why did the Lilmothit have to die!!

I bet they would've looked adorable

We dont know if they really are extinct. The plague didnt have a 100% mortality rate and all we know is there arent any clear signs of the Lilmothiit people. And remember the Lilmothiit were alive and well a scant 30 years prior to the events of ESO.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • TiZzA93
    TiZzA93
    ✭✭✭
    There was a lorebook or npc stating they moved up north of lilmoth i think?