Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Some more magsorc questions

Sixsixsix161
Sixsixsix161
✭✭✭
1. I have a staff that deals 1037 damage for level 22; the other action on the staff states it deals 1326 physical damage and restores 225 stamina. I have a glyph that deals 2587 Lightning damage. Can I put the glyph on the staff? I presume it overwrites the basic 1037 damage, or the 1326 physical damage and restores 225 stamina? If it only overwrites the later, it would seem that it's a nice damage increase, and since I use mag, I don't care about the stamina return. Or can you not put a glyph on a staff with abilities on it?

2. Does the damage on a staff, i.e., 1060, change as you go up in level? Specifically, does it go down. It seems in the past week or so, the damage number on my staff changed. I'll try and track it to confirm this.

3. I'm aware of the "Y" pet command and how to use it (Attack command). However, I'm now playing with the volatile familiar and it has a special ability that I can activate. How? I'd really like to do this as his ability is increased lightning damage and also an AOE. Or does he use it automatically without me giving a command?

4. Any problems with a magsorc wearing heavy armor? I'm playing the skill line where your abilities are lightning-based and you have to be within 5 meters for one of them to work. Most of the time, the enemy moves towards the player as you're hitting him with your abilities, so then that turns into melee range, instead of ranged, which is not my strongest ability. I've been wearing a mixture of 3-4 heavy (with health), one medium, and the rest light armor with magicka; I've also put two points in health. In my inventory, I have more heavy armor pieces, and rings/necklace with additional health that I can swap out if necessary (although that would decrease my magicka). I have purple and gold-colored glyphs that I can put on heavy armor. More than enough to increase health and magicka wich is already over 27K for my level 22 magsorc. My heavy attacks return more than enough magicka, so I can play around and decide an effective mix between health and magicka armor (all heavy). I also get all the skyshards, so I've been increasing all the passive abilities as much as I can, plus I've allocated my CP points to support this character.

5. The ability Wall of Blockade (hope I have the name correct?) is supposed to concuss enemies, yet I never see them stopping or whatever it's supposed to do, they always walk right to me without any problems.

Thanks for any help.

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3. You activate your pet's special ability by casting the same spell that summons the pet while the pet is already summoned.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. The 1037 is how much Spell Damage your staff gives, and will only increase if you get a higher level staff or upgrade its quality (color). The physical damage and stamina restore is an enchant, and can be replaced with the shock damage glyph (enchant), as long as the glyph level is not higher than the staff level.

2. The damage does go up in level, but you're experiencing low level scaling. The game automatically gives you extra damage at low levels, to make up for the weaker gear and lack of skills. If you keep the same low level gear as you become higher level, it gets weaker. But if you use higher level gear that matches your higher level the damage will go up.

3. Just hit whichever skill button the pet is assigned to for his special attack AoE and stun. The Y+left click command is just to tell the pet which target to go to, or to tell him to return to you Y+right click.

4. Nothing wrong with heavy armor if you want more survivability, but light armor will give you better sustain and damage. All of the benefits of each armor type can be found by reading their passive skills. Typically you want to have at least 5 pieces of the same armor type to get the best passive bonuses.

5. Concussion is a status effect, it just means that they get hit with a small amount of damage, receive Minor Vulnerability to take 8% more damage for a few seconds, and can be put off-balance by your lightning wall. Off-balance is useful because they will take more damage from your heavy attacks, your heavy attacks will restore more resources, and they will often get knocked down by your heavy attacks.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on February 1, 2019 1:36AM
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) You can replace enchantments on your items as many times as you would like. It will only affect the enchant part (your "deals 1326 physical damage and restores 225 stamina") and replace it with desired effect. Right click on the weapon and choose "enchant". Be aware though that glyphs also have levels and you will be unable to put a higher level glyph on a lower level item.

2) ESO uses a heavy scaling system for low level characters because all enemies are actually max level. You get the most benefit from this scaling if all of your gear is up to date with your level. As you outlevel gear the scaling starts to diminish and you will indeed see lower numbers as you level up on your old gear.

3) Once you've summoned your pet it's special ability can be used by activating the same skill you've used to summon it.

4) That's a hard one to answer. Can you use heavy armor because you like it and it fits your RP/playstyle? Yes. Is it the most effective way? Definitely not. Regardless of your choice I would recommend to always wear 5 pieces of one armor weight and one and one of the other two. That way you get access to all of the passives on your main armor type (some of them require 5 pieces equipped) and are still able to level the other two types with time. Usually it is better to stick to light armor on a magicka sorc. You can always adjust your health with enchants, it's not a great idea to put attribute points into health. Even in light armor you should be fairly sturdy especially since that 5 meters skill (Lightning Form) you mention gives quite a bit of resistances. You have access to a very strong heal with your other pet (remember that advice from 3) and later you will get access to Surge which heals you on every crit and Ward that can keep you alive. For now you can also use a restoration staff on back bar for some heals.

5) The skill is called Wall of Elements. Concussion is not what you think it is. It deals a bit of shock damage other time and allows you to put off-balance on your target by hitting them with Wall of Elements. Off-balanced enemy takes a bit more damage from your attacks and will be stunned if you perform a heavy attack on them. Heavy attacks on off-balance enemies will also return more resources.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    To ALL: Thank you very much, I learned a lot. I think I'll go with 4 heavy with health glyphs (I already put two points in health, and I'll stop at that and put the rest in magicka). Health is now a little over 19K. The rest of the armor I'll go 1 medium, and the rest light. Although later on I may change that ratio depending on my magicka usage (I have quite a bit of Necro armor in the bank that I can use plus I have a complete set of another light armor that has + magicka, so I have options if I need more magicka.

Thanks again.

• kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really don't recommend going with 4 pieces in one weight unless you're talking about a low level character where you don't have the passives yet. Each armor weight has a significant passive benefit at 5 pieces of that weight. For light armor, that is the boost to spell critical and spell penetration. For heavy, it's a boost to healing received and heavy attack sustain.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    I really don't recommend going with 4 pieces in one weight unless you're talking about a low level character where you don't have the passives yet. Each armor weight has a significant passive benefit at 5 pieces of that weight. For light armor, that is the boost to spell critical and spell penetration. For heavy, it's a boost to healing received and heavy attack sustain.

@kringled_1

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of that (to be honest, didn't even know that), but I have in my bank various Necro armor pieces (up to CP160) and will replace the heavy armor at the appropriate level (I'll just keep one piece with the most health, and one piece of medium with health to get all the passives). My problem is I suck at melee, and once I start with my abilities, the enemy does come toward me putting me that close to him. That was the main reason I wanted heavier armor with health on it. And, of course, that's why I should be playing with two bars (so I can have shields), but that's a greater problem for me due to age and medical issues.

My pet doesn't hold aggro very well (unlike the clannfear), so maybe I need to switch pets (and give up the AOE damage.

Again, some things to think about.