Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

With all this talk of race changes, I'm left a tad confused.

CMDR_Un1k0rn
CMDR_Un1k0rn
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
People are complaining left, right & centre about nerfs, buffs, and what have you.

I'm just a simple casual player who runs with a guild that has no interest in scores, and actually just does normal dungeon/trial because I'm more interested in adventure and story rather than glory. (Heh', rhymes...)

What I would like to ask you fine people, is am I about to see normal content left unplayable with certain races configured for certain roles? Or for this am I still okay with whatever. Like I say, I just do normal content. I keep to myself for the most part and just run dungeons with people who feel like it. :)

Are the people complaining min/maxers who demand only the very best stats possible? Should I just ignore their concerns, because the lower end (normal) content is easier?

Thank you.
In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Anoregon
    Anoregon
    ✭✭✭
    The easy answer to your question is: Yes, you can largely ignore the concerns. While choice of race for your build is significant enough that I would say it matters more than to "just" the min/maxers (a redguard stamdk is likely going to be noticeably a bit better than a redguard magdk for the average player, for example), it's still certainly not a gamebreaking type of thing. The difference between racial benefits matters a lot less than proper gearing/CP allocation and just playing the game well.
    Edited by Anoregon on February 5, 2019 2:50PM
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anoregon wrote: »
    The easy answer to your question is: Yes, you can largely ignore the concerns. While choice of race for your build is significant enough that I would say it matters more than to "just" the min/maxers (a redguard stamdk is likely going to be noticeably a bit better than a redguard magdk for the average player, for example), it's still certainly not a gamebreaking type of thing. The difference between racial benefits matters a lot less than proper gearing/CP allocation and just playing the game well.

Thanks. I'm came into this game at an odd time. I buy the game, come to the forums, all right when ZOS is announcing these changes.

It leaves me rather overwhelmed, as I read countless comments with conflicting views.

I don't mean to sound annoying by asking so many questions but after being out of the game on Xbox for over a year, and coming back only a couple weeks ago on PC, it's like... Woah. Holy information overload Batman!

I just want to have fun at the end of the day, hence I chose the guild that I did. Those guys are welcoming to all levels of play.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes no worries mate, your fine what ever they decide on the changes. It can help to have look at what you are running and match a suitable race but no biggie if you don't enjoy the game as a game instead of a life choice try hard I need to be best possible ESO gamer every existed in the universe and beyond o:)
    Edited by WoppaBoem on February 5, 2019 3:02PM
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • Anoregon
    Anoregon
    ✭✭✭

Thanks. I'm came into this game at an odd time. I buy the game, come to the forums, all right when ZOS is announcing these changes.

It leaves me rather overwhelmed, as I read countless comments with conflicting views.

I don't mean to sound annoying by asking so many questions but after being out of the game on Xbox for over a year, and coming back only a couple weeks ago on PC, it's like... Woah. Holy information overload Batman!

I just want to have fun at the end of the day, hence I chose the guild that I did. Those guys are welcoming to all levels of play.

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that the race changes aren't really changing the existing paradigm much (which, depending on your perspective, is either a good thing or incredibly disappointing). Races that were good magicka damage races before this patch will largely still be so, and same for stamina. There are a couple of exceptions, and Dunmer/Khajit are now effectively "versatile" races that get benefits to either damage role. But it's not like a race that was a default stamina race before the patch is all of a sudden now bad at that.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that the race changes aren't really changing the existing paradigm much (which, depending on your perspective, is either a good thing or incredibly disappointing). Races that were good magicka damage races before this patch will largely still be so, and same for stamina. There are a couple of exceptions, and Dunmer/Khajit are now effectively "versatile" races that get benefits to either damage role. But it's not like a race that was a default stamina race before the patch is all of a sudden now bad at that.
    yes, that is the major change also that Orc is shifted more towards doing damage.
    the rest is 1-2% differences.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are complaining left, right & centre about nerfs, buffs, and what have you.

I'm just a simple casual player who runs with a guild that has no interest in scores, and actually just does normal dungeon/trial because I'm more interested in adventure and story rather than glory. (Heh', rhymes...)

What I would like to ask you fine people, is am I about to see normal content left unplayable with certain races configured for certain roles? Or for this am I still okay with whatever. Like I say, I just do normal content. I keep to myself for the most part and just run dungeons with people who feel like it. :)

Are the people complaining min/maxers who demand only the very best stats possible? Should I just ignore their concerns, because the lower end (normal) content is easier?

Thank you.

I think the answer is maybe.

One race, Bosmers, is getting a huge nerf in that they are losing their stealth passive. If you play a stealthy Bosmer build you will definitely feel it. Talking to various guild mates, (not a large sample size, granted) this appears to effect casual pve players much more then pvp or trial groups (although it does effect them as well).

Otherwise you will feel a slight change in the way the races feel, but I don’t think it will be large enough to cause too much concern.

Of course any of this may change so you should keep your eye on any new updates.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have to ask, where does ZOS post their updates? Even using the dev' tracker, I can't seem to find them.
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have to ask, where does ZOS post their updates? Even using the dev' tracker, I can't seem to find them.

Under the Public Test Server sub forum under the patch notes thread:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/457243/pts-patch-notes-v4-3-2#latest
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well there is two places.

The PUblic Test Server forums have the actual updates.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/455846/pts-patch-notes-v4-3-1#latest

And this gets modified to...

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/457243/pts-patch-notes-v4-3-2#latest

•••

While this area of the forums goes into the “whys” behind the changes a bit.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/456997/class-reps-update-meeting-notes-jan-30-2019/p1

I hope this helps!

• CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you guys. For the love of the Maker I just couldn't find those links!
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sound pretty much like me, then. The changes made to game mechanics are often barely noticeable or relevant to players like you and me. There are some notable exceptions, such as when a skill has been completely reworked or had effects added or removed... but that happens rather infrequently. You definitely don't need to make your character some sort of weird transracial because of anything that's going on. Even with some of the head scratching changes with 4.3.2 PTS it's really not a big deal.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The racism needs to end.

All you need is love.

<3
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One asks oneself: why did I choose this character?
    If the answer is “no particular reason (looks only, staying with friends, why not, etc)” then the changes don’t affect you.
    If the answer is “because they have an established precedent for x and I’m super interested in x” then depending on the choice you originally made, you might be affected.
    If the answer is “because mathematically I’ve been told/I have tested that it is the best” then you will be affected.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Racial passives make the most difference in competitive content. That's PVE leaderboard runs, DPS parses, and PVP.

For anything other than top tier competitive content where you need to be completely min-maxed for your role, you can play an off-meta race and do fine as long as you are a capable player who knows your role.

That's not to say that meta race/roles don't make a difference. I have an Imperial and a Breton Stam Sorc DD. My Imperial does noticeably better in terms of damage and sustain even at my decidedly not-top-tier levels of DPS, but my Breton Stam Sorc is still viable as long as I have the DPS needed to complete the content I bring her to. Similarly, I have a Dunmer Stam Warden for PVP, where (on Live, anyway) a Redguard would see noticeably better damage and sustain. My Dunmer Stam Warden is viable, certainly, but not "ideal." PVP is a little odd in that player skill/experience at PVP is absolutely the biggest factor in a fight, but racial passives can't benefit an inexperienced player or come into play with equally skilled players.

So if you don't min-max or follow the meta for top-tier competitive content, it comes down to how much you care if your racial passives complement your chosen role or not.

My standard for race/class combos is to ask: Can you complete the content in the role you've chosen? If you can pull the DPS, tank or heal well enough, rock on!

Races that complement a chosen role make reaching that standard easier at all levels of content, but aren't necessary, unless you are trying for top-tier, competitive content.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Racial passives make the most difference in competitive content. That's PVE leaderboard runs, DPS parses, and PVP.

For anything other than top tier competitive content where you need to be completely min-maxed for your role, you can play an off-meta race and do fine as long as you are a capable player who knows your role.

That's not to say that meta race/roles don't make a difference. I have an Imperial and a Breton Stam Sorc DD. My Imperial does noticeably better in terms of damage and sustain even at my decidedly not-top-tier levels of DPS, but my Breton Stam Sorc is still viable as long as I have the DPS needed to complete the content I bring her to. Similarly, I have a Dunmer Stam Warden for PVP, where (on Live, anyway) a Redguard would see noticeably better damage and sustain. My Dunmer Stam Warden is viable, certainly, but not "ideal." PVP is a little odd in that player skill/experience at PVP is absolutely the biggest factor in a fight, but racial passives can't benefit an inexperienced player or come into play with equally skilled players.

So if you don't min-max or follow the meta for top-tier competitive content, it comes down to how much you care if your racial passives complement your chosen role or not.

My standard for race/class combos is to ask: Can you complete the content in the role you've chosen? If you can pull the DPS, tank or heal well enough, rock on!

Races that complement a chosen role make reaching that standard easier at all levels of content, but aren't necessary, unless you are trying for top-tier, competitive content.

Yeah I'm not interested in top-tier play at all. It's why I joined a casual guild.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I'm not interested in top-tier play at all. It's why I joined a casual guild.

Then honestly, a race that complements your role or stam/magicka choice will make your life a little easier, but it won't make a difference for your ability to complete content in casual play. At a casual play level, practicing your DPS rotation or gaining PVP experience is much more important to do well.