The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Tempalr tank...aka The Pally

Joxer61
Joxer61
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, so after dabbling in a NB tank, which is quite fun mind you, I have decided to do something a bit different (for me) and give a Templar tank a go. Never played the whole "Pally" thing and all that but on paper they look as though they could be pretty decent? So, how many Templars tanks have we got out there and how have you found the playstyle/content? I have been able to source a few builds which is a huge help but feel free to offer up what you have found to work best, for you.
Cheers!

(oh snap...just saw the other post on the very same topic. Oh well.....too much info never hurt!)
Edited by Joxer61 on February 3, 2019 6:30AM
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would not recommend. Templars either have no effective self-heals (focusing on health and stamina) or are squishy and have bad stam sustain (focusing on magicka, can't use orbs for stam sustain). All other classes don't have to make such a tradeoff.

You can make something workable, but you'd be better off with literally any other class.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »
    Would not recommend. Templars either have no effective self-heals (focusing on health and stamina) or are squishy and have bad stam sustain (focusing on magicka, can't use orbs for stam sustain). All other classes don't have to make such a tradeoff.

You can make something workable, but you'd be better off with literally any other class.

Interesting...since the builds vids show/claim them to be good. Something to ponder....thanks!
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i know a main tank which is templar nord, she did vHRC HM just fine.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    From the other thread on this subject-
    xaraan wrote: »
    I've been using my Templar tank for quite a bit when I can in vTrials (currently working on vCR HMs) and I it feels like they are mainly missing one big thing from a tank standpoint: A solid self heal.

There is nothing like needing a huge burst of health and knowing it will only come from you for whatever reason and hitting breath of life and having it go to someone else, or trying to activate a HoT and hoping it ticks a few times before you fall over. When you are in that situation and you know you'd have no problem at all on a DK, Sorc, or Warden healer you start to feel like it's a HUGE missing piece. Honestly, one of the morphs of BoL should be a health based self heal IMO.

Outside of that, everyone will say 'engulfing flames' - if this one DK skill is the one factor making people force that role, then it's a reason it should be changed to a self buff IMO and not a damage buff for all fire. Especially considering DK already offers a wider variety of tanking tools that would still make them arguably the best tank even without engulfing.

Templars do offer PoL, which is unique, though often healers will run it. But it's a good option to have.

Outside of just not having a good health based self heal, they have good protection and regen tools with circle to keep down and their shield scales off health and does a solid job. They feel someone well rounded. But CC would be the only other thing missing - I had to use Bow with bombard on the beetles that spawn in Fang Lair to pin them down b/c I had no other option really. Time Stop is ok, but the timing has to be spot on. And Silver Leash is about as good as bombard really - as in: you don't wanna blow through stam, but at least you have the option I guess if you need the ability for a run.

• SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most templar tanks I know complain about not being as tanky as dks and having huge resource problems.

Breath isnt that good of a heal on a tank from what I seen. Plus their group utilities are often filled by templar dps or healers

Theres a reason almost all end game tanks are dks. They provide group utility with engulfing flames and igneous shield for minor brutality. Not to mention they are very tanky and have amazing resource management

And any tank can hold taunt and block. It takes a good player to do all that along with buffing the group and rebuffing the enemy
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy playing my Templar tank, but as someone that main tanks consistently for an end game raid/dungeon team, I would not want that to be my only choice.

If I knew I had to be a true, solid, strong tank I'm going to bring my DK every time (not even counting access to things like engulfing flames or chains/talons). Second to that, oddly enough, I'd bring my sorc tank (which doesn't offer as much to the group, but at least feels like they can be nearly as selfishly tanky as a DK with the right build). Then Warden. Then Templar and I never bring my NB tank to a real run. I also find DK to be the best for learning a run as it makes things more forgivable, recovering from group issues more easily, etc. So not only do I not bring any non-DK tanks to something I know will be the hardest tanking I'll do, but I also do not bring them to training/learning runs. They are for after I feel that I, and the team, have the mechanics down and I know I'll be able to be consistent in the role for the team based on what I'll be facing.

Templar has some good tools, and if you are just doing pledges, not worrying about hard modes in new dungeons, or main tanking a trial - then you'd be fine. But once you get into testing your limits, you'll see those limits come in well before those of a DK or even other classes.

There are also options to run more selfish gear setups to compensate for what you miss out, but at that point you are giving up group utility by dropping things like Ebon/Alkosh and similar "meta" sets. Which isn't the end of the world for some groups, but isn't optimal and doesn't make up for the classes not being on an even playing field for this role.

If you wanted to bring a decent group utility tank and planned on giving up the utility and tankiness of having a DK, then Warden would offer the most bang for your buck. Still not as tanky as a DK, but not in as bad a spot as a Templar. And they offer a lot of group protections/heals and other buffs. Though IMO, Wardens and Templars make the best use of an off tank spot in most trials. Which is a shame, I don't think an entire class should be eliminated as usable in only an off-role spot for end-game.

Even in dungeons you can feel the difference. New DLC dungeons, not old ones. Try MHK hard mode with the different classes, especially if you are with a group that doesn't have it mastered and you'll see your class options for tanks quickly eliminated if you want a consistent, dependable tank (which is a key thing for the role).
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Vajrak
    Vajrak
    ✭✭✭
    Templar Tanks self-heal USED to be clappy hands (Healing Ritual) --- even with the cast-time it was reliable, especially with the setup of taking reduced damage during channels---or backbar having Rite of Passage (and it fills up incredibly fast) though that becomes a trade off of burst heal or keeping up your boosted resistances with the aedric ult.

Healing Ritual as an emergency button IS still viable, but costly --- think of it as D&D Paladins "Lay on Hands" moved to an AoE--the heal range and amount isn't bad at all, but you're going to be limited on how many times you can spam it. To be fair, my original clappydin Templar tank was able to go 50 casts before needing to pop a potion, and it did require a bit of knowledge of the mechanics of the fights to get the heal off while avoiding red, but it was entirely possible and feasible to do so.

Radiant Glory can be used as a self-heal to some extent, especially during execute phase as long as you are watching for the mechanics still.

In single target fights, Introspection is a possibility (Psijic Order), just be ready to block/cancel it if necessary.

Mostly as a Templar tank, you aren't self-reliant---you're bringing a lot of potential tools to the table, but you have to use them well, and for most builds you're going to rely on your burst healing from outside, while maintaining constant flow (HoT) for yourself.

Don't be afraid to try out different sets than the meta---set the benchmarks you want to meet, then mix and match to get there.

Consider the fights, and adjust your bar accordingly:
    Total Dark can be a huge benefit if you are going into a fight with a lot of ranged trash to keep heals incoming, Purifying Light has no target cap, so you can get healing aura's all over the place---hell spam ritual of retribution if nothing else, the first tick is on cast---its not a big heal but enough casts can bring you out of the danger zone while the other HoTs tick up.

My main for a long time was a Tankplar, high mag recovery, and redguard --- it lets me gear for mag while having the racials for stam, and a reliable window for heavy attack weaving. Can only speak for vets up through mazzatun, as he's semi-retired into a crafter after that, but it does work, just have to think like a Templar, not a DK *(and this was the toon I used to be able to do 50 clappy hands on before having to pop a potion)
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are gutting PVE time stop, so NBs and Templars are finally RIP. Or you may run with the bow for bombard.. but you need to avoid any bar switching from S&B until fight begins, some people may just instantly leave when they see tank with bow :D
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sadly its looking like DK or go home...game should have a tad more balance with tanks I reckon..ah well...maybe Necro ftw!!!! ;)
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am trying out ice staff back bar tanking for my templar tank. Do I just not use Time stop? and use the combo of Leash, ice blockade and ice clench to control the trash I am struggling with bar space :/.
  • Swen_von_Walhallion
    well i play tankplar for long time, have done on him all DLC dung ( and most on HM) and was tanking with him lots of trial without problem ( dont spek about craglorn trials, but vHoF, vMoL, vCR) and i find him more fiting my playstile then my DK tank. For fight which are hard on resources yousing guardien sets or deep thoughts form psijic. I using this build. ofc have lots of other set for swaping if need, depending on dungeon/trial and my role if need solo tank final bos in vDSA, adds i Ozzara fight or adss at final boss in vSO or axes in vAA, using diferent fully selfish setup. Its true tanklar hav not good self hela but have realy great and cheap shield, and for self heal when need sloting honour of dead, bc its heal rly nice and when use it right time its super cheap. And stamina sustain thx new focus with ssamina regen and rezists is nearly no problem.
    Adraria Argentum Draco - imperial Stamplar
    Bevdyen Tus Ntxhuav - Orc Stamplar
    Celestun Ira Dei- Imperial Tankplar
    Halldis Rautt Höfuð- Nord Tankplar
    Misawa Yoshike - Breton Healplar
    Lae'ozhael - Dunmer Magplar
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    I am trying out ice staff back bar tanking for my templar tank. Do I just not use Time stop? and use the combo of Leash, ice blockade and ice clench to control the trash I am struggling with bar space :/.

Don't use ice clench.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Don't use ice clench.

But its the only reliable immobilise for templar I can leash in everything and hold them in place.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Don't use ice clench.

But its the only reliable immobilise for templar I can leash in everything and hold them in place.

What are you using that for when time freeze is an AOE slow followed by a stun?
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are outside the circle and I have to pull them in...
    Okay, I am doing this wrong...
    Always hard to get used to different play styles. DKs are such training wheels tanks.
  • Kattemynte
    Kattemynte
    ✭✭✭
    I find it quite ironic that a class that is shown to be wearing heavy armor (tank) in the character creation menu is one of the worst for that role....
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't use ice clench.

In a few days Time Stop will be double cost, about 8100 mag. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/456997/class-reps-update-meeting-notes-jan-30-2019/p1

I have a Templar tank, I only use him for guild runs of normal non dlc pledges aka he’s carried. At least he’s fun to pretend to be a paladin when questing overworld areas using double 2h.
    Edited by max_only on February 5, 2019 10:31AM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »

Don't use ice clench.

In a few days Time Stop will be double cost, about 8100 mag. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/456997/class-reps-update-meeting-notes-jan-30-2019/p1

I have a Templar tank, I only use him for guild runs of normal non dlc pledges aka he’s carried. At least he’s fun to pretend to be a paladin when questing overworld areas using double 2h.

I am aware of the change. Hopefully they will not go through with such a ridiculously stupid design decision. If they do, I recommend using a bow back bar then. Bombard is great. You have access to a range interup as well and the best way to proc a back bar echant as well, with endless, since the skill ticks every .5 second, which is double the tick rate of wall.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using a bow is so... how can I say it... ugh

He’s a paladin lol. I get it though, to be effective in this game it’s tough luck
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tick rate doesnt matter if you run torug's though, just saying (will still proc before effect ends), so i think destro staff is a better option for most content
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is bombard from the bow line a better control skill for dungeon trash than wall of frost? Wall of frost also applies minor main doesn't it?

I am a templar just starting to tank and I haven't tried either yet.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    Is bombard from the bow line a better control skill for dungeon trash than wall of frost? Wall of frost also applies minor main doesn't it?

I am a templar just starting to tank and I haven't tried either yet.

Frost blockade has only a small chance to proc that status effect, so the only thing it's actually good for is proccing back bar enchant.

Bombard is a better control skill, but it's on a weapon you shouldn't use, especially if you're still learning. Use Time Stop before it gets nerfed.