Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Bows and 2 handed weapons

OllyBongo89
OllyBongo89
Soul Shriven
Hey im a magicka templar and decided to lvl up bows, 2 handed weapons and daggers skill lines.
It seems to be taking forever to kill anything with these weapons as my main is a staff, any hints tips what not to make ranking these up a little easier thanks
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Putting up medium armor with stamina enchants and converting to a stamina dd.

Could also finish quest when the weapons are on you for xp (with additional skills from that weapon slotted
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, the reason its taking you forever to kill things with bows, daggers, and 2 handers conpared to when you use your staff is that your staff's damage scales with your magicka. Bows, daggers, and 2handers all have damage that scales with stamina. As a magicka templar, I'm going to guess your magicka, spell damage and crit is all much higher than your stamina and weapon damage/crit, so your staff hits that much harder.

If you really want to use bow/daggers/2handers effectively, you need to look at hybrid builds or swapping to a stamina oriented build.

If you just want to level the weapons without caring about using them, just equip a skill from that line on your staff bar wirhout equipping the weapon. The weapon skill line will gain exp even though you aren't using the weapon or able to use that skill. I typically do this when leveling a new stam build - I'll run around questing with a bow, dual wield, and 2handed skill on my active bar just so the skill lines level.
  • OllyBongo89
    OllyBongo89
    Soul Shriven
    Hi thanks for the info, instead of wasting respecing into full stam, am going to craft a hundings rage and mothers sorrow set with agility jewelry. All training gear with stam enchants and wpn dmg
    Will this be enough as am only killing trash mobs to max the skill lines and abilities.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's your objective? All those skills are stamina based, so a magicka templar would not normally use them. Making a hybrid character does not pay in this game, as every point you move from mag to stam, or vice versa, cuts down your total damage. The peaks are at the ends of the curve, not somewhere in between.

If you want to experience the other skills, roll an alt that plays the opposite of your main.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi thanks for the info, instead of wasting respecing into full stam, am going to craft a hundings rage and mothers sorrow set with agility jewelry. All training gear with stam enchants and wpn dmg

That could work, though I'm not sure it's what I would recommend.

One of my characters is a magicka character, like yours, and does not use staves at all. Doing a character like that can work for most content in the game, but you do have to accept certain tradeoffs. The first tradeoff is that your light attacks and heavy attacks are just going to suck. There are some sets that can help with that, but on the whole I find it better to just accept they're going to suck and instead play to your strengths. The second tradeoff is sustaining your damage output since you cannot recover magicka from heavy attacks. It's very doable, and you generally won't run into issues until you start doing stuff like soloing world bosses - where a generic magicka potion or two can make up the weakness pretty easily.

You'll generally ignore the actual weapon line skills if you are using them on a magicka character. Because your weapon damage will suck, they are not worth using (with some exceptions - not all weapon line skills scale with stamina or weapon damage and those can be useful at times). Instead you focus on class skills. The set Innate Axiom boosts your spell damage for class abilities by around 400 and is the one I use on my non-staff using magicka dragonknight. There might be other ones that could make sense too. I also use infused weapons for him so he gets more damage off his enchantments to make up for his crappy weapon damage a bit. Unfortunately, 1-handed enchantments are being gutted next patch so this will no longer be a good solution.