Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

I really need some help...

Zhoyzu
Zhoyzu
✭✭✭✭✭
Ive decided to return to ESO after 32 months. While thats great and all i remembered im so terribly bad at this game i pretty much want to quit again.

The primary issue is i literally cannot build a functioning character to save my life. Ive even used some of SypherPK or w/e his name was builds back in the day. No matter what i do or which build i copy i never get results at least half as good as anyone else.
Ive spent more time than id like to admit trying to make a magicka templar work in any role. Ive tried to resurrect my DK but cant.

Id really like to use magicka based characters because stam characters are essentially the same in my eyes since most of the abilities are coming form the weapon trees.

Anyways, is there some secret or methodology to character building?
Ive had mild success in PvP with builds that keep me from dying quickly but i havent figured that out either cause i dont have the resources or sustain to do damage back. i can either slow down my death or die fast trying to do damage.

I just cant figure this game out and its destroying me on the inside because i do find it enjoyable so any help is greatly appreciated.
Zhoyzu - Nightblade Alchemist (v15) RETIRED
Has-No-Heart - Templar Enchanter (v4) FUBAR
Ambadassador - Dragon knight (v1) Naked with no future (returned from the naked realm to tank PvE)
Sakis Tolis - Sorceror (v10 in progress) Living Legend!

Xuhl'Xotuun - Warden Current Main as im starting the game over essentially with this character aside from crafting.

Creator of Khajiit fall dmg reduction racial passive concept.

• Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just for the record: Do you want to play PvP only?

Either way I would recommend to google for "ESO [your class] [PvE/PvP] build [latest patch]" (e.g. "ESO MagDK PvP build murkmire")

There are many factors that are important to consider when creating/optimizing your build, so we need more information about your current setup.
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its sounds like you've been able to create some good builds in the past but never had much success actually using them.

I hate to say it, but the answer is probably practice.

I tried a meta build - the pre morrowind Blazeplar - who everyone swore was a monster on the battlefield and in a choke point. I had the build for it, but I sucked at playing it. Without practice, I just didnt know what to do.

If your build is solid as most recommeded builds are, you need to practice. Figure out how to combo your skills for effective burst damage or to keep up a steady pressure. Figure out how to mitigate damage with heals and line of sight and defensive skills. The more you practice, the more you'll recognize enemy attacks and counters and learn what works and doesnt work against them.
  • demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    try learn to weave by heart.
  • Zhoyzu
    Zhoyzu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for the record: Do you want to play PvP only?

Either way I would recommend to google for "ESO [your class] [PvE/PvP] build [latest patch]" (e.g. "ESO MagDK PvP build murkmire")

There are many factors that are important to consider when creating/optimizing your build, so we need more information about your current setup.

I mostly PvP and pvp builds dont translate well into PvE that much i know. You might be able to get away with tank builds but everything else isnt going to fare well in PvE end game.

I made an Imperial warden recently and ive managed to make a character that performs well in both environments. ive dumped all my attributes into magicka and while running imperial passives and heavy armor (and passives) i have more health than characters specced entirely into health with health enchants.
    So im becoming suspicious that racial passives are what make/break builds. My other characters are argonians, but i do have a Altmer Sorc that i can at least pretend im good with.
    Zhoyzu - Nightblade Alchemist (v15) RETIRED
    Has-No-Heart - Templar Enchanter (v4) FUBAR
    Ambadassador - Dragon knight (v1) Naked with no future (returned from the naked realm to tank PvE)
    Sakis Tolis - Sorceror (v10 in progress) Living Legend!

Xuhl'Xotuun - Warden Current Main as im starting the game over essentially with this character aside from crafting.

Creator of Khajiit fall dmg reduction racial passive concept.