The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Best race and class for two handed weapon DPS character?

Grianasteri
Grianasteri
✭✭✭✭✭
Hiya,

The next character I am thinking of making is going to wield a two handed sword or axe... I am wondering what folk think is the best race and class for a two handed DPS?

What weapon do folk feel is a good option to run on the back bar? Just another two handed? Or change it up?

Any suggestions for good set combos for a double handed weapon DPS?

I have some ideas in mind but I would love to hear what more experienced folk think :)

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redguard, bosmer, orc, dark elf if you know how to sustain (talking about next patch). Nord and Imperial are not competitve as DDs.

Nightblade has all the tools to cover ones missing in 2H. Warden is another good alternative. They are currently the highest parsing classes.

If you want competitive DPS it is bow backbar or go home. No alternatives.

No special kind of sets needed. Just you regular stamina set up. Relequen, AY, VO, TFS, Briarheart or even something like Hunding's and Spriggan's.

All of this will apply only if you are really dead set on getting good DPS. If you want to do some overland and clear some normal dungeons you can just do whatever you want.
    Answer ✓
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2handers are my favorite weapon skill and I have at least 1 character of each class using them currently.

Bow is my favorite backbar weapon to pair them with as it brings much needed AOE and DOT support. Honestly though, I'll even pair it with S&B for when I need to switch over to tanking. 2hander is far more versatile than the meta gives it credit for.

My favorite race class combo with 2handers is by far my Stamsorc Orc! More than any of my other toons, he has an amazingly smooth playstyle that just mows through mobs with lightning speed. Keep hurricane up, use a bow backbar, and it'll feel like you never even have to slow down as you tear through each mob cluster. Orc synergizes with it so well and their extra speed really adds to its death-on-wheels feel.

You asked for a good set combo for 2hander... my favorite is Automaton + Sword Singer! Those combed with 2hander will having you cackling with glee. As Sword Singer's x5 only buffs 2handers, it easily lets you fit in an arena bow if you have one. Add your favorite monster helm set and you'll have a blast. I usually just use separate monster helm and shoulders to get double extra bonus to weapon power, but Molag Kena's Overkill is really fun to mix in.

Many often forget that 2hander basic attacks are AOE. Despite the commonly quoted meta, 2handers DO have a fantastic spammable… Brawler. Not only does it smack everything around you but its on-demand instant shields are just amazing. Rally gives you great buffs and self-heals. All of it combines into a very self-sufficient in-your-face playstyle where you always want to be in the thick of the mobs or right on top of bosses because as long as you are beating on them, you're not just dealing damage but also keeping your resources and shields replenished. If you don't always stay tightly engaged, you'll find ranged mobs can swiftly deplete you and cut you down.
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
    Answer ✓
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hiya,

The next character I am thinking of making is going to wield a two handed sword or axe... I am wondering what folk think is the best race and class for a two handed DPS?

What weapon do folk feel is a good option to run on the back bar? Just another two handed? Or change it up?

I have some ideas in mind but I would love to hear what more experienced folk think :)

Thanks!

Just use S/B or DW. 2H is not what it used to be.

Maybe asylum 2h on a Nord stamDK could be an option. Blood Spawn and a jewelry and a dmg set (potentates/agility/endurance + ravager/Sword singer), but I don't thinh you will be putting much dmg.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Hiya,

Thanks!

Maybe asylum 2h on a Nord stamDK could be an option. Blood Spawn and a jewelry and a dmg set (potentates/agility/endurance + ravager/Sword singer), but I don't thinh you will be putting much dmg.

What are you on about? Pve wise, s/b is a tank weapon. 2h is literally only like 2-4% behind on DPS.

To the op, any class can do good with 2h. Back bar is always a bow. Endless and poison injection are like 30% of your DPS.
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Race wise I'd say Orc, they get good extra WD, and have some healthe and Stam passives, with a good sustain passive, so a good mix of all.

Class...id say stamDK or StamSorc for PVE
    Stamsorc is already now a AOE beast, and DK is just super funny to play on 2h IMO.
    But classchoice is kkinda open, you can play everything on stam and 2h, just missing out on DMG compared to DW
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly you will need Maelstrom bow off-bar reguardless.
    In large part because 2h swords dont have an AOE DOT skill that can proc enchantments, and also just because in general its volley buff is OP.

Asked a few times for 2h swords to be made an exception to the AOE DOT rule, so we can use carve for example to keep off-bar enchantments up, but alas it doesnt seem like this will ever be a thing.

Edit: Also nightblade, best stamina spammable in the game, and 2h doesnt have a spammable ability so that's important.
    Edited by validifyedneb18_ESO on February 1, 2019 2:34PM
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some really helpful replies here, thank you folks. And some information that I was unaware of regarding double handed weapons that I will certainly have to consider.

I was considering a Nord, Orc or Imperial for my new character. The consensus so far seems to be that Nords and Orcs are viable. Any thoughts on an Imperial?

I am keen to avoid making another DK, as I have a couple of decent DPS DKs already. A Sorc could be interesting.

I was also keen to avoid another bow wielding character but that seems fairly essential to maintain high DPS :'( Is there no viable alternative?

I'd love to hear more folks thoughts :)

Sets as well, are there any besides the usual stam based sets folk would suggest?
    Edited by Grianasteri on February 1, 2019 4:50PM
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For starters, If you're truly interested in min-maxing, I would wait until the Wrathstone changes are set in stone before you settle in.

If I were making a 2H stam dps based on having played most classes this way except templar and the upcoming changes, I would recommend a Dark Elf Warden.

With just the Netch and Bird of prey you'll have Major Brutality (+20% weapon damage), Major Endurance (20% stam regen), and Minor Berserk (+8% all damage) not to mention the resource return from netch. These sustain bonuses make dark elf a good option because that is their weakness. remove that weakness and they get 258 weapon damage just like an orc but also get more than double the stamina and more health.

With each animal companion ability you slot you'll get a 3% bonus for every single one - it's possible to use up to 5 of these on a single bar, for a pretty hefty 15% damage bonus.

Not to mention the fact that you would have two executes that use separate resources - the 2H execute, as well as the bear ultimate which acts as an execute and pops frequently. Bloodthirsty jewelry added here and you'd be an execute machine.

Just my opinon - only down side to stam warden as a 2H user is that the execute is probably the only weapon ability you'd be using from the 2H line.
    Edited by Krayl on February 1, 2019 5:47PM
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For PvE, personally, I would roll a Redguard stamsorc for 2H (assuming the proposed racial passives and other stuff in Wrathstone don't change drastically over the next few weeks).

For the why ... Redguards now have 8% cost reduction on weapon abilities, and since stamsorcs really only use Hurricane as an active class ability, you rely mostly on weapon abilities. Stamsorcs also don't have an execute. So you can really benefit from multiple 2H skills (Wrecking Blow, Carve, and Executioner) unlike most other classes. Also, by choosing the Carve morph, you gain Minor Heroism, which along with the sorc built-in ulti cost reduction makes for good ulti uptime (and even better if you choose Ballista as your ulti, since the Redguard cost reduction passive applies there as well, but I prefer Storm Atro).

I've been toying with a 2H stamsorc build in the current PTS cycle. It's really strong. I'm quite sure this parse would be over 60k with some CP tuning and better timing of the transition from Wrecking Blow to Executioner (not to mention that I have a lot of issues weaving Wrecking Blow and certainly lose DPS from that). This is with someone providing Major Fracture, Minor Berserk, and Minor Vulnerability:

aCEhCGK.png
    Edited by LiquidPony on February 1, 2019 6:29PM
  • Anoregon
    Anoregon
    ✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »
    For PvE, personally, I would roll a Redguard stamsorc for 2H (assuming the proposed racial passives and other stuff in Wrathstone don't change drastically over the next few weeks).

For the why ... Redguards now have 8% cost reduction on weapon abilities, and since stamsorcs really only use Hurricane as an active class ability, you rely mostly on weapon abilities. Stamsorcs also don't have an execute. So you can really benefit from multiple 2H skills (Wrecking Blow, Carve, and Executioner) unlike most other classes. Also, by choosing the Carve morph, you gain Minor Heroism, which along with the sorc built-in ulti cost reduction makes for good ulti uptime (and even better if you choose Ballista as your ulti, since the Redguard cost reduction passive applies there as well, but I prefer Storm Atro).

I've been toying with a 2H stamsorc build in the current PTS cycle. It's really strong. I'm quite sure this parse would be over 60k with some CP tuning and better timing of the transition from Wrecking Blow to Executioner (not to mention that I have a lot of issues weaving Wrecking Blow and certainly lose DPS from that). This is with someone providing Major Fracture, Minor Berserk, and Minor Vulnerability:

aCEhCGK.png

Hey, just curious why you decided go with Wrecking Blow over Crushing weapon? I was under the impression that the latter was a flat increase in damage for 2H builds.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While it is good to plan, I think it is best to see what actually goes live and let the dust settle a bit. While many have their thoughts on what will be best, others will actually test them out and provide us more than warm fuzzy feelings, but that takes time.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Anoregon wrote: »
    LiquidPony wrote: »

aCEhCGK.png

Hey, just curious why you decided go with Wrecking Blow over Crushing weapon? I was under the impression that the latter was a flat increase in damage for 2H builds.

@Anoregon Wrecking Blow hits *way* harder than Crushing Weapon, plus it grants Empower to the next LA. I hit ~2k lower using Crushing Weapon with the same setup (although it is more consistent because it's a bit easier to weave). Plus, with the Redguard 8% cost reduction passive, the cost is pretty similar.
    Edited by LiquidPony on February 2, 2019 10:40PM
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya,

Thanks!

Stop telling people how to play, he asked a damn question so answer it rather than giving him some min/max answer as the only option.

So tired of "what's best is the only way" people.

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO Khajiit is looking like the best option for a 2H build. 2H weapons bring a lot of Weapon Damage, which slightly diminishes the racial bonuses of Dunmer and Orc. Unlike dual wield daggers, there is no weapon type that brings crit chance in the 2H line, so Khajiit passives can fill that gap.

Redguard is also a strong option if you’re concerned about sustain, especially if you plan to focus on weapon abilities more than class abilities.

For class, Nightblade is a great option. Currently the highest DPS class, and it brings the one thing 2H lacks: an instant spammable with Surprise Attack. Although I guess this is less of a concern than it used to be with the option of Psijic Crushing weapon (assuming your light attack weaving is on point).

Stamplar and stam Warden would be next best, since both also get a good spammable (Jabs and racer) and contribute high DPS and moderate utility (PotL and minor toughness via Vigor).
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on February 3, 2019 12:31AM
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya,

Thanks!

Sword and board for dps? Lol

You really dont know what you're talking about when it comes to dps, stop giving bad information.

To the OP, dual wield or 2h.
    Red guard or khajiit do really well for stam dps.
    Class can be anything but stamblades are currently very strong, same with stam wardens
    Edited by SoLooney on February 3, 2019 2:07PM
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭
    IMO Khajiit is looking like the best option for a 2H build. 2H weapons bring a lot of Weapon Damage, which slightly diminishes the racial bonuses of Dunmer and Orc. Unlike dual wield daggers, there is no weapon type that brings crit chance in the 2H line, so Khajiit passives can fill that gap.

Redguard is also a strong option if you’re concerned about sustain, especially if you plan to focus on weapon abilities more than class abilities.

For class, Nightblade is a great option. Currently the highest DPS class, and it brings the one thing 2H lacks: an instant spammable with Surprise Attack. Although I guess this is less of a concern than it used to be with the option of Psijic Crushing weapon (assuming your light attack weaving is on point).

Stamplar and stam Warden would be next best, since both also get a good spammable (Jabs and racer) and contribute high DPS and moderate utility (PotL and minor toughness via Vigor).

I'm playing with the idea of starting either a Stamblade or StamDK to mainly play with a 2H. It would be mainly to just do overland content and some PvP, I'm not currently targeting doing trials. How much difference would there be between the playstyles, and survivability?
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redguard Stamplar is what I do, and Jabs is my go to class skill. I use Rally from 2H and on occasion (if there are a bunch of orbs and spears flying around) Brawler. Bow is always the go to weapon for back bar. If you have a problem with using a bow because it doesn't fit your RP or something, just think of it as you throwing knives and/or some ***.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the weekend has certainly revealed a broad range of opinions!

Thank you to everyone.

I feel a bit confused now haha!
  • Anoregon
    Anoregon
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a little surprised at how 2h stamwarden doesn't seem to be something people play as often as say sorc or DK. Cutting dive is certainly a solid stamina spam abiltiy, and you're basically just swapping out the DW bleed from the standard stamwarden build for the 2h execute. I'm sure it's still going to be a bit weaker than a DW stamwarden but it shouldn't be that far behind, should it?
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anoregon wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised at how 2h stamwarden doesn't seem to be something people play as often as say sorc or DK. Cutting dive is certainly a solid stamina spam abiltiy, and you're basically just swapping out the DW bleed from the standard stamwarden build for the 2h execute. I'm sure it's still going to be a bit weaker than a DW stamwarden but it shouldn't be that far behind, should it?

2h stamwarden is a blast and I do keep Cutting Dive slotted as it hits like a mega-missle, but I often feel like the skill doesn't synergize well with the in-your-face style of 2handers that works so well for me.

But I step pretty far out of meta with my Khajiit 2h stamwarden as she's one of my tanks... S&B front bar, 2h backbar, and usually sticks mainly to the backbar to help assist the DPS as Brawler will keep her well protected vs most bosses. The S&B bar just brings the taunt and carries the support skills. She mainly uses Cutting Dive on the approach of a pull to get the attention of a few additional mobs.

Here she is, the aptly named Bearly-Tanks:
    vjAE8ww.jpg
    ...and she uses Selene's monster helm for even more bears throughout the fight.
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ertosi wrote: »

Here she is, the aptly named Bearly-Tanks:
    vjAE8ww.jpg
    ...and she uses Selene's monster helm for even more bears throughout the fight.

Loving the bear family! I do something similar with Wolves, wolf mount, wolf pet, then change into a Werewolf with my two dire wolves... and off my pack goes!
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just thought I would drop an update (mainly because I am bored, but I guess some folk may be interested).

I went for a Redguard, as a stam sorc, using double handed weapon.

I've had the character at championship level for a couple of weeks now. He's great! Sustain is off the chart for stam, I just don't need to even think about it and that is very refreshing. Survivability is also impressive, even with relatively low health.

The first dps parse after I got to level 50 and put him in his championship gear... was just under 20k, and that was without things like caltrops or various other skills and morphs which have only just now been added. I am confident dps will be 30k ish... looking forwards to testing it when I have all the skills and morphs I need for my build :)
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To put it simply, if you're playing Stam you'll want to play Orc. They're BiS for stamina regardless of class.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daus wrote: »
    To put it simply, if you're playing Stam you'll want to play Orc. They're BiS for stamina regardless of class.
    Bit narrow minded don't you think?

RG is awesome for stam sorcs due to their lackluster kit and sustain is awful outside of having good groups to support you. Even at an endgame level RG was shown through out the dps tests on pts to be within 1-3% of Orc/Dunmer with all group buffs.

Plus, Orc is ugly.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bit narrow minded don't you think?

RG is awesome for stam sorcs due to their lackluster kit and sustain is awful outside of having good groups to support you. Even at an endgame level RG was shown through out the dps tests on pts to be within 1-3% of Orc/Dunmer with all group buffs.

Plus, Orc is ugly.

Truth is narrow minded. If that bothers you I'm not sorry. Also yeah Orcs look like someone fell out of a tree face first hitting every branch on the way down. Sucks they're the best Stam race.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Orc was considered... it was between Orc and Redguard, neither of which race I had a character with yet (I have 11 characters). I went for Redguard and it seems to be performing very well from a sustain point of view.

One issue I have run into, is a lack of health. This can be addressed with some tinkering of the traits/enchants (reducing my max stam/recovery), however I can certainly see that an Orc would provide increased flexibility in this regard, at the cost of stam sustain. So its a toss up.

Im happy with a Redguard for now but I will keep Orcs in mind or just make a new character lol!