The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Returning to game, attribute question

lukoi
lukoi
✭✭✭
Is there a generally held consensus on where to spend attribute points between the mana, stamina, health of most character classes?

i.e. 50% of my points in stamina, 50% in health in building a night blade over time? Some other ratio? Is there some underlying considerations I need to be aware of before leveling up characters?

I left the game in early 2015, certainly didn't master it, and while I'm looking forward to coming back, don't want to gimp a character after I spend a great deal of time leveling it up, if I can avoid it.

Thanks.
  • FlyingDutch92
    Most damage abilities scale with either magicka or stamina, depending on the type of damage (magical or physical respectively), so generally you would want to distribute your 64 attribute points as follows, regardless of class:
    - stam dps: all 64 in stamina
    - mag dps: all 64 in magicka
    - healer: all 64 in magicka
    - tank: somewhat even distribution between health, magicka and stamina, depending on build (tanks leave you the most freedom when it comes to attribute points, but I wouldn't recommend making a tank as your first character as it makes doing quests a painful experience due to the lack of dps)
    As most of your self heals also scale with either mag or stam (depending on the build), it is favorable to put all your attribute points into one attribute as dps, as this also increases your damage.
    I encourage you to check out some builds online (alcasthq.com has endgame builds including starter gear, but they should give you a general idea in terms of attribute points, skills and gear etc)
  • lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks a ton. This is exactly why I asked because to a newbie like myself, spending none in health seems counter intuitive. But what you say makes sense. I'm guessing the gains to health have a significant diminishing return based on offsetting with gear and/or consumables?
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lukoi wrote: »
    Is there a generally held consensus on where to spend attribute points between the mana, stamina, health of most character classes?

i.e. 50% of my points in stamina, 50% in health in building a night blade over time? Some other ratio? Is there some underlying considerations I need to be aware of before leveling up characters?

I left the game in early 2015, certainly didn't master it, and while I'm looking forward to coming back, don't want to gimp a character after I spend a great deal of time leveling it up, if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

Awesome to have you back!

As another poster has suggested, I strongly suggest you check out someone like Alcast on Youtube or his own website. I rarely copy a build completely, but I use them to give me good ideas and understand how some things work.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lukoi wrote: »
    Thanks a ton. This is exactly why I asked because to a newbie like myself, spending none in health seems counter intuitive. But what you say makes sense. I'm guessing the gains to health have a significant diminishing return based on offsetting with gear and/or consumables?

If you need more health on a non-tank, using a food buff is the easiest way to get it.

The main reason to stack into Stamina or magicka is to do better damage, and ESO tends to favor the sort of survivability that comes from killing the enemy faster in order to take less damage.