The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Aetherial Dust A Myth?

• Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten six or so since I started playing about 1.5 years ago. In fact I got one last week. I'm sure it's just a coincidence but every time it's been when I was on a very low level toon. When gathering on my max level toons, which I do most of the time for obvious reasons, I've not gotten one. Odd that.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • LadyLavender
    LadyLavender
    ✭✭
    I've gotten 3, no idea when or where. Sometimes I just find one in my crafting bag when I go to craft.
    Never found a cypher though, had to buy that one just so I could have the recipe on my max provisioner.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Currently have two in my inventory. Sold a few in the past, as well. Aetheric ciphers on the other hand :#
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since free crown crates and login rewards were introduced I could hardly think of a case where I’d pay for the dust, let alone the Cipher. I’m swimming in XP scrolls.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten 6 of these in my lifetime: 5 from finding them lying around, and one that I bought at a guild auction and flipped the next day (on the same guild no less). it's all luck of the draw.

Aetheric Cipher is way rarer. that's why they sell for over 3m.
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found one every3-4 months. All I do is farm and I take everything.

I suspect the drop requirements are in there somewhere.

Rngesus? Currently overdue....

They used to pull 100k, now I can't sell the AA.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've gotten six or so since I started playing about 1.5 years ago. In fact I got one last week. I'm sure it's just a coincidence but every time it's been when I was on a very low level toon. When gathering on my max level toons, which I do most of the time for obvious reasons, I've not gotten one. Odd that.

All of mine have been found on my main toon, who is CP160+. She's the only one who really farms, though. And, since I do the majority of content with her, she hoovers up every node as she's questing or whatever. It's very hard for me to leave any node behind.

I've also gotten at least 2 from surveys. All in all, I think I've gotten 4 or 5. Sold them all, but the most recent one I sold for about 75K on XB NA.

I've never seen the cipher, though.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have only found it once in two years of play. I even remember where it was, near the dolmen that's up the road from Riften. According to Master Merchant I could get 75k gold for it, but I feel I have to hold on to it "just in case."
  • Waynerx8
    Waynerx8
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got one in 4 years, then second node last night, bingo got one, got a ton of gold stuff all night, today only trash, figures.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found exactly one dust in almost 3 years of playing. Now, granted, dust hasn't been around for that entire time, but that's still a pretty low drop rate.

I also just found my first gold, full motif book (non Imperial) this week too. It was a full book for the Dwemer motif that I pulled out of a container in Razak's Wheel while helping a friend farm for dwarven furnishing plans. I was pretty excited about that one!
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• rothtwinsdad
    rothtwinsdad
    ✭✭
    Where is the best area to farm these?
    PS4/NA
    Ace Ventura: Magsorc pve dps
    Bodacious Brutality: Stamblade pve dps
    Freezer Pops: Magden pvp DC
    Nature Boy: Stamden pvp DC
    Tramp Stampler: Magplar pve dps
    Sargent Slaughterfish: Magblade
    Unbreakable: Stampler pvp DC
    Combustible: DK pve tank
    Romancing The Bone: Stamcro pve dps/tank
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think anywhere that has a collection of easily accessible harvesting nodes. I don't know that they can be "farmed" per say, but since they're found on ore/wood/alchemy/etc nodes, the faster you can harvest those, the better your chances of finding a dust are.

For what it's worth - I found mine on an alchemy flower near the Dro-Dara Plantation in SE Stormhaven.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paying since they came out. Never got one
  • MonkLoHan
    MonkLoHan
    ✭✭✭
    I think I've gotten 3 aetherial dust. Didnt sell them though. I immediately used them to craft some Mythic Aetherial Ambrosia for my characters. Of course, this was a bit before all the 100% - 140% scrolls from daily rewards.

Dont think I've found any aetherial dust within the past year of playing and farming with 9 toons.
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

I would think anywhere that has a collection of easily accessible harvesting nodes. I don't know that they can be "farmed" per say, but since they're found on ore/wood/alchemy/etc nodes, the faster you can harvest those, the better your chances of finding a dust are.

For what it's worth - I found mine on an alchemy flower near the Dro-Dara Plantation in SE Stormhaven.

I don't think they drop in any of the DLCs or Chapters... I think only from the original zones...
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been playing on-and-off since the beginning and crafting/farming daily for over the past year, I've found a grand total of 2 of these babies. Seems to be the magic number for quite a few players here, huh? That's probably because the dice are loaded and the game is rigged to feed the pathetic excuse of a player economy and completely waste your time :o

I finally received my very first copy of fragment #1 for the ambrosia recipe this morning! Still haven't seen #7 drop yet, despite having up to 6 copies of all the others. Been noticing a similar trend farming motifs. I find about 70-80% of them and then duplicates of those start piling up for months while searching for the last couple. I still haven't completed a set without having to trade for or buy the last few that won't drop.

All the "that's RNG for ya" comments make me laugh at this point. There's absolutely nothing random about any of this, been throwing dice long enough to recognize that much.
    Edited by Ri_Khan on February 5, 2019 3:55PM
  • Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Myth...no. Cursed...yes.