The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to budget when housing?

Jeezye
Jeezye
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey, as the title says I'm new to housing and start to really enjoy it. However, the options are endless and most of them very expensive.

That's why I'd love to hear what your favourite items are, that are easily accessible, affordable and offer great looks/ benefits for your home.

Edited by Jeezye on January 28, 2019 10:48PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you talking in game gold or crowns?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Are you talking in game gold or crowns?

humm I'd definitly prefer in game gold but I have seen few very nice crown bundels and already got the exterior bundle with tons of plants and trees
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are all the ingame merchants

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Furnishers

Guild Kiosks in the trading centers are a place to buy furniture and or furniture plans that you can make.

The Legerdemain system, where you steal stuff and fence it can supply you with all the gold you need. The ships in Daggerfall near the Wayshrine and Orinium are great places to rob.

Options
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was more hoping to get inspiration by people who have spent lots of time in the system and post their favourite items, especially those that are affordable and accessible for newbies like me
    Options
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Candles. No point placing anything else if you can't see it.
    Options
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just found this great tree e.g. which is purchasable in belkarth for just 100g (?!?!)
    Source: https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/tree-angled-ash/

Tree-Angled-Ash.jpg?w=1424&ssl=1
    Edited by Jeezye on January 28, 2019 5:22PM
    Options
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sofa is fairly cheap as well and looks nice!
    Redguard-Sofa-Desert-Flame.jpg?w=802&ssl=1

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/redguard-sofa-desert-flame/
    Edited by Jeezye on January 28, 2019 5:41PM
    Options
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »

@ghastley Where in the world do I get basic candels from? I've searched all data bases, is it really just possible to buy them in the crownstore?? I saw there's few recipes out there for simple candels too, but they require tons of mats considering I'd need like 50 of them
    Edited by Jeezye on January 29, 2019 11:36AM
    Options
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm unlucky in this regard.

I'll be building a full Imperial home.

Imperial furniture is crown-store exclusive.

At least the bed is free with level up.

Ah well, I'll have fun and that's what matters, right?
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeezye wrote: »
    I was more hoping to get inspiration by people who have spent lots of time in the system and post their favourite items, especially those that are affordable and accessible for newbies like me

If you poke around in the page I linked, it gives the list of items sold at each store and for how much. I gave you the keys to the answer to your question, but you have to turn the locks on your own

Options
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are lots of Trees, Flowers, Shrubs + Rocks etc that are fairly cheap, and can really transform a space - different ones are available from the furnishing vendor in each city in game.

This is a very useful website to browse whilst planning your home: https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/furnishings-by-type
    And this is a great site for looking up the items / recipes you want, and where they are on sale at guild traders: https://tamrieltradecentre.com

I would also recommend searching in every chest, wardrobe, drawers etc that you walk by.
    They have a chance to drop furnishing plans so that you can craft items yourself. In the future you could also then craft items to sell, to make some extra gold.

You can also search guild stores for recipes, some are very, very cheap.
    Just set your search filter to furnishing recipe, and press search. The resulting items will be in order of cost.

Another way to search is to set the filter to Furnishings, then set a price limit for yourself.
    The results will be items under that limit and you can see if there is anything you like the look of. You can get some real bargains this way, but its a lot of travelling to check the many guild traders in game.

For me personally, I always try to plan at least 50% of the items in my house before I start to decorate - that way you already have a clue what you are looking for. The remaining 50% is usually small furnishing items that make the home look 'lived-in'.

And don't forget all the Achievement furnishings you have access to also. The ones from the Achievement furnishing vendors in each city.

Options
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dtsharples wrote: »
    There are lots of Trees, Flowers, Shrubs + Rocks etc that are fairly cheap, and can really transform a space - different ones are available from the furnishing vendor in each city in game.

This is a very useful website to browse whilst planning your home: https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/furnishings-by-type
    And this is a great site for looking up the items / recipes you want, and where they are on sale at guild traders: https://tamrieltradecentre.com

I would also recommend searching in every chest, wardrobe, drawers etc that you walk by.
    They have a chance to drop furnishing plans so that you can craft items yourself. In the future you could also then craft items to sell, to make some extra gold.

You can also search guild stores for recipes, some are very, very cheap.
    Just set your search filter to furnishing recipe, and press search. The resulting items will be in order of cost.

Another way to search is to set the filter to Furnishings, then set a price limit for yourself.
    The results will be items under that limit and you can see if there is anything you like the look of. You can get some real bargains this way, but its a lot of travelling to check the many guild traders in game.

For me personally, I always try to plan at least 50% of the items in my house before I start to decorate - that way you already have a clue what you are looking for. The remaining 50% is usually small furnishing items that make the home look 'lived-in'.

And don't forget all the Achievement furnishings you have access to also. The ones from the Achievement furnishing vendors in each city.

I was watching a youtube video yesterday that was game changing for me. The lady showed the general furnishing goods vendor in Alinor, which sells alinor walls for 100g. Furthermore she pointed out the importance of abusing some cheap items for another purpose. The vendor also sells choral reefs, which when turned by 90° offer amazing looking walls if stacked. Together with the wood planks from Cyrodiil I was able to build a huge duelling pit into my psijic villa for less than 10k gold. I hope there's more of these "hacks" for newbies like me.

Sadly I had to find out that most achievement furnishing stuff is sold for 20-100k, which is far out of the price spann I'm willing to pay just to decorate my home.
    Options
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah that sounds great :)
    And yes, definitely check all the city furnishing vendors, some of their items are great and really cheap. Usually furnishings for outside, but there are certainly some you can adapt for inside.

So it's the Psijic villa you are trying to decorate?
    As you already know its a damned HUGE space, and even the most experienced of housing fans find it incredibly difficult to make the whole house look finished to a decent standard.
    I'd suggest either concentrating on the inside only and ignoring the outside. Or possibly blocking off part of the inner house to make the overall space smaller, the walls you mentioned should work well for that. This way you'll end up with a house that looks much fuller and complete, instead of sparce and empty.
    Edited by dtsharples on January 30, 2019 3:32PM
    Options
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeezye wrote: »
    ghastley wrote: »

@ghastley Where in the world do I get basic candels from? I've searched all data bases, is it really just possible to buy them in the crownstore?? I saw there's few recipes out there for simple candels too, but they require tons of mats considering I'd need like 50 of them

You buy the Common Candle Set recipe from Chef's, Brewers and I believe Grocers for 270 gold. It is a Provisioner recipe. Other candle and lighting recipes come as drops in chests, instanced content, pickpocketing, theft, etc. Backpacks whether free or stolen will often have crafting recipes. I have also bought crafting recipes from guild traders just be careful on the item as you can often buy common ones for less through NPC vendors.
    Options
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont buget i spend millions on each house and the buy another one. It is no big deal though, it's just for fun.

I can stop whenever i want to, I dont have some kind of problem.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
    Options
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    I dont buget i spend millions on each house and the buy another one. It is no big deal though, it's just for fun.

I can stop whenever i want to, I dont have some kind of problem.
    Lol. I know right, 'I'll just quickly update one of my houses with a small sitting area... *6 hours, a ballroom, an alinor-style parlor, and a fountain-feature garden later* oh, where did the 500k from my inventory go?' :lol: I don't have a problem, nooope.

Jokes aside, the Alinor furniture are indeed amazing, high-quality versatile structural and plant items super cheap (beautiful animated white-blossom tree for 2k, compared to crooked swampy trees for 25k at previous zone merchants, nothankyou).

You can save on lighting if you invest in some super-bright items, like the Varla/Culanda stones or Daedric lights, those can light up an entire house saving you several slots and 1-4k per individual lamp you'd otherwise need. Of the normal-ish lights, Orcish chandeliers tend to give a large light area and don't look so out of place as the others mentioned earlier.

For structural items you can use the short Alinor fences from the vendor because they are cheap, but you need to stack a lot of them so they take up more slots. The basic planks at the old zone vendors are much bigger, but look a bit shabby. The Clockwork City vendor sells brass planks for 500g which are also cheap but a bit more fancy. If your structures don't have to have collision (so ceilings and wall divisions, but not floors) you can use carpets, I used a vertically placed Breton carpet to cut a room in half, which looks like a nice bordered wallpaper and you can hang some pictures or sconces on it to make it more convincing, and cheaper than having to buy Alinor-style walls for 8k a pop.

For regular furniture, you could pick a cheap style and furnish your house with those matching pieces, sadly there aren't many cheap vendor furniture apart from the basic rough wood ones. Though you could use the table/stools as a nightstand or display stand or something.

There are also some 'free' furniture, not just the leveling rewards Imperial bed/lamp/shelf, but from your collections - the Morrowind map display makes for a nice round table flipped upside down, and some undaunted busts can also act as furnishing pieces, like the Assembly General trophy as a golden toilet :smiley:
    Options
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten lots of leather stacks, letters, papers and fish from pickpocketing/stealing from the ships in Daggerfall.
    Not big items, but lived in clutter.

I also fence the rest of the items I steal for the gold that I need to bargain hunt in guild stores for furnishing items only. :)

The boxes from New Life had a chance of containing lighting items so I've found lots of candlesticks etc for under 500g in guild stores after that.
    Xbox NA/EU
    "Once I misplaced an entire roast chicken, so this doesn't surprise me."
    Options
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dtsharples wrote: »
    Ah that sounds great :)
    So it's the Psijic villa you are trying to decorate?
    As you already know its a damned HUGE space, and even the most experienced of housing fans find it incredibly difficult to make the whole house look finished to a decent standard.

Yeah since thats the only real house I have and its big enough for my duelling tournaments I'll stick with that one. I know its huge, but for now I'm just concentrating to transform the interior into said duelling pit. You know its quite nice, I raised two platforms on the corridors at the sides and turned the big room in the middle into a pit that you can then watch from the side platforms and even from the top balconies that are otherwise kind of awkward to utilize :)
    bluebird wrote: »
    You can save on lighting if you invest in some super-bright items, like the Varla/Culanda stones or Daedric lights, those can light up an entire house saving you several slots and 1-4k per individual lamp you'd otherwise need. Of the normal-ish lights, Orcish chandeliers tend to give a large light area and don't look so out of place as the others mentioned earlier.

There are also some 'free' furniture, not just the leveling rewards Imperial bed/lamp/shelf, but from your collections - the Morrowind map display makes for a nice round table flipped upside down, and some undaunted busts can also act as furnishing pieces, like the Assembly General trophy as a golden toilet :smiley:

great input buddy really appreciate it. Definitly will take a look into these stones, since the big hall is indeed hard to light. I loved placing these pretty bright triple fire torches behind the archway in the back, because the light kind of nicely spreads along the backwall. maybe I can use the stones for that so the backwall kind of illuminates the whole room.

I already use a few orcish chandeliers, they are dirt cheap and have a fairly nice look and light when sank into the floor :)

lastly I dont know much about the free quest stuff, will take a look into the morrowind map. My whole room is crowded with these undaunted busts, I dont know how I'd fill it without them :D
    Edited by Jeezye on January 31, 2019 8:08AM
    Options
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a pity I can't leverage the nice Alinor fences and archways, they look amazing, would fit perfectly and seafe tons of space but I can't get around paying 100k to replace my existing solution :(
    Edited by Jeezye on January 31, 2019 8:00AM
    Options
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    Of the normal-ish lights, Orcish chandeliers tend to give a large light area and don't look so out of place as the others mentioned earlier.
    I'll second that one. The Orcish Chandelier, Practical is plain enough to use in any decor, and doesn't look as if it's about to set fire to the ceiling. Buy the plan and make them, as you'll use several in the same room. For example, my Mournoth Keep has five on the main floor. I'll confess that I found that plan, rather than buying it, and you may get lucky, too, as it's only a blue diagram.
    Options