The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Deconstruction - Everything or just Green & Blue items

Iziquiel
Iziquiel
✭✭
Hi, I'm coming back to ESO after quite some time away. I've not bothered with crafting before but this time I want to.

To level up my crafting skills should I deconstruct everything I get and don't need (white, green, blue, etc) or just the green and blue items and sell the white items?

Thanks

Best Answers

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    White ornates are generally worth more if you just sell them for gold. Except for those, just decon everything.

Jewelry crafting is a wholly different animal altogether ... where there's still a market for white, green, blue, ornate, and intricate. You'll have to weigh how bad you need these to level versus selling them (for what is still a decent price).

The key to any of this, however, is making sure you invest the deconstruction skill points as soon as they're available ... for best returns on decon.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on January 22, 2019 8:17PM
    Answer ✓
  • jlb1705
    jlb1705
    ✭✭✭
    Iziquiel wrote: »
    Hi, I'm coming back to ESO after quite some time away. I've not bothered with crafting before but this time I want to.

To level up my crafting skills should I deconstruct everything I get and don't need (white, green, blue, etc) or just the green and blue items and sell the white items?

Thanks

First of all, start researching traits on any pieces that can be researched. Be sure to lock and avoid deconstruction any pieces that are researchable but can't be done yet since you don't know how long it might take for that piece to come back around. Research is a LONG grind, but it's key for crafting your own gear and transmuting dropped pieces. It took me about a year to research all traits without the aid of time-reducing scrolls.

After that, if your character's level is below CP160 then you should deconstruct any gear that isn't being worn or that isn't ornate. Ornate pieces should be sold at a NPC merchant. Intricate pieces will help you level crafting skill lines more quickly and provide extra mats in return. If you have the gold, you can buy intricate pieces at guild traders to decon to speed up the process. You can buy and decon pieces from higher levels than what you're at, and they provide an even bigger boost. Any gear below CP160 is only worth the mats you can salvage from them if you're not going to wear it or if you've out-leveled it. Don't bother banking it or posting it to a guild trader.

If you're above CP160, you'll still want to do most of the same things, but you can sell or bank overland set pieces that are useful or in-demand since it can no longer be out-leveled. It's worth learning what some of those are. If they're in the right trait (divines, impenetrable) they can fetch a decent chunk of gold if you don't need them.

Also, dungeon and trials gear is bind-on-pickup, so your only options are research or deconstruction if you or the other members of your group can't use them.
    Answer ✓
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭
    Thank you both for the detailed answers!
  • Damedius
    Damedius
    Once you maxxed your crafting skills, I find that there is no point deconstructing anything below purple with the exception of JC.

There are stacks of Blue and Green upgrades materials on the guild traders.
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭
    Damedius wrote: »
    Once you maxxed your crafting skills, I find that there is no point deconstructing anything below purple with the exception of JC.

There are stacks of Blue and Green upgrades materials on the guild traders.

Thanks! I will have a look at the guild traders once I have a bit more free gold to use!
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you have a crafter who can make anything except Nirnhoned (which most folk leave to last anyway), then alts who want to raise crafting can happily deconstruct anything that comes in. The main crafter can always make a white level 1 instance to research when they need one, and the removal of inventory / bank space pressure is probably much more important.

Again, in that situation, the maxed crafter dumps every weapon or armour piece they get into the bank for deconstruction, because they get no benefit from doing so. The others do their research first, and then deconstruct anything left over. If only one alt at a time is raising levels, this requires least character swapping. Set item might get set aside for actual use, but realistically only at CP160 level, as collecting a set at any other level is futile. You'll always level up during collection and end up with mixed levels of equipment.

Your main crafter will make sets for the alts, and you'd keep those for re-use by other alts. Hunding's, Julianos, and a few others at maybe 10-level increments, all with the Training trait. Those never get deconstructed, as you'd only need them again for a new alt.