Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

died swimming in water and on the southern docks

Iarao
Iarao
✭✭✭✭
any idea as to why? It didn't appear I was targeted in any manner. just died.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you swim far out enough, you're hitting the world 'edges'.

Slaughterfish rise up from the depths and chew you alive.
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard that there are some waters with predatory fish and possibly large sea monsters. Haven't see them myself, but I hope they at least put slaughter fish in the game.
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • Iarao
    Iarao
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get any sort of warning? no indication that I have been attacked? and what about ON the dock?
  • gonzo914
    gonzo914
    Soul Shriven
    There are definitely slaughter fish in the game. At least in beta there was. There was even an achievement for getting eaten by a slaughter fish.
  • Iarao
    Iarao
    ✭✭✭✭
    well NO achievement came up, gonzo :)
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    gonzo914 wrote: »
    There are definitely slaughter fish in the game. At least in beta there was. There was even an achievement for getting eaten by a slaughter fish.

Awesome, I am going to try and get eaten tonight, lol. (In game that is, for all those naughty folks having naughty thoughts)
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, no warning for swimming. You just start getting chewed on.

However, ON the docks? Which docks, specifically?
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the docks sounds just plain fishy, not slaughterfishy. Might have been a bug.

Death by slaughterfish was suggested by a fellow PTS tester several months ago and ZOS ran with the idea and even added an achievement for it.
    :D
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bug or he's on docks with hostile mobs that aren't displaying due to client error regarding the 'zoning'.
  • Iarao
    Iarao
    ✭✭✭✭
    daggerfall southern docks. no mobs on the docks. and no indication that I was even attacked on the docks.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had this happen a few times. I realized it was because I swam too far, but is there any way to tell the difference between safe water and water that will kill you? Ya know, before it is too late!
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    I have had this happen a few times. I realized it was because I swam too far, but is there any way to tell the difference between safe water and water that will kill you? Ya know, before it is too late!
    @Dagoth_Rac‌ No real indication until you get attacked by the slaughterfish. If you turn around immediately, you have a good chance to get away, but if you hesitate, well you already know that outcome ...
    :)
  • pema
    pema
    ✭✭✭
    The dark watter usualy is an indication of danger. When you can see the bottom there are usualy no fish. Cyrondill's big water is all slaughterfish so don't even try. And you do see as you see the health bar dropping, hear them nibble at you and the char making hurt sounds.
    Officer of Alith Legion
    Ebonheart Pact guild, EU server.
    Check out our site alithlegion.com
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iarao wrote: »
    I don't get any sort of warning? no indication that I have been attacked? and what about ON the dock?
    Nope. I posted a thread some days ago about this, the 'fatigue' systemis brutal, you get no warning and unless you react IMMEDIATELY you'll not have enough time to turn back to safe waters.

Clearly a "you can't go there" system is needed, but also needed is a WARNING and the DoT you get should be hugely reduced to give you time to react, or else the DoT should scale with the distance into the 'no go' area you are.
    pema wrote: »
    The dark watter usualy is an indication of danger.
    Sorry, no, it's not always like that. There are areas of 'no go' water around Bleakrock that are visibly no different from the water you just were in.

WOW uses the colour of the water as the indication, which always seemed to me a good way, Rift has a similar method. Maybe Zenimax intended ESO to be like you say but they didn't implement it universally.

In any case, the DoT is TOO HIGH even if there was a visual cue, you're not supposed to be severely punished unless you're seriously trying to get somewhere you're not supposed to be.

• Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try to avoid choke points in Cyrodiil by swimming under bridges! :smiling_imp:
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Sallakat
    Sallakat
    ✭✭✭
    I was eaten by a slaughterfish in game too, didn't get a warning, couldn't swim away, but did get an achievement so it's all good :D
    Rebuilt - Aldmeri Dominion

Kaia Linnea - templar
    Ruusu - sorcerer
    Aino - nightblade