The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PTS Crafting Changes - Writ Rewards

tmbrinks
tmbrinks
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Wanted to go onto the PTS to test out the new crafting drops that were talked about in the Patch Notes
Writ Reward Improvements
Material Shipments received from Writ Rewards have been revamped!
Instead of only receiving material from a lower tier than your crafting passive rank, you will now receive a distribution of materials with the majority of the materials being for your current material tier based on passive rank.
You will also receive a small amount of material for your next tier to allow you to stockpile a bit in advance so when you rank up, you will have the materials you need to keep going.
You will still receive a small amount of materials randomly chosen from a previous tier in order to support making equipment for lower level characters.

From my testing it went as follows

For Blacksmithing/Clothier/Woodworking
If you DO NOT get a survey, you will receive 15 refined materials at your current crafting level (the number of skill points you've spent in the first passive) AND the following
If you are at level 1 -you will receive 10 of the items at level 2
If you are at levels 2-9 - you will receive 5 refined materials at the level above you, AND 5 refined materials at a RANDOM level below yours
If you are at level 10 - you will receive 10 refined materials at a RANDOM level below yours

*If you do get a survey, you will NOT get a crate with materials in them
*Cloth writs will give you cloth materials, Leather writs will give you leather materials

For Jewelry Crafting
If you DO NOT get a survey, you will receive
If you are at level 1 - you will receive 4 refined materials at your level, 1 UNREFINED copper dust (level 2)
If you are at level 2 - you will receive 4 refined materials at your level, 1 refined from the level above, and 1 refined from the level below
If you are at level 3 - you will receive 4 refined materials at your level, 1 refined from the level above, and 2 refined from a random level below
If you are at level 4 - you will receive 4 refined materials at your level, 2 refined from the level above, and 2 refined from a random level below
If you are at level 5 - you will receive 7 refined materials at your level, and 3 refined from a random level below you

*These are all based on the number of skill points that you have spent in the first passive, not your crafting skill rank
*All of my characters are at max 50 in all the crafts, so this may have an effect on the drop rates, but I do not know.

Again, if a survey randomly drops (would have to do a lot more testing to determine if drops rates changed on those) you will NOT get the materials listed

There were also some changes to the Alchemy materials drops
Added Clam Gall and Powdered Mother of Pearl as rare rewards from Alchemy Writs.

Update... I have done alchemy writs a total of 56 times I did not receive a single Clam Gall or Powdered Mother of Pearl. Seems the drop rate is rare indeed, much rarer than the gold improvement materials (I can usually count on getting between 3-5 of each tempers/wax/rosin on 26 a day) Will continue to look

34 of those attempts were on an account that has access to Summerset
22 of those attempts were on an account that does not have access to Summerset (Patch notes don't say, but since Clam Gall and Mother of Pearl only drops in Summerset, there might be a lock on it, like jewelry crafting... or there might not)

Hopefully this helps some people... as long as the survey rates are unchanged, it is looking like doing writs is going to be much more self-sufficient than they currently are on live.
Edited by tmbrinks on January 25, 2019 8:57PM
Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
61,215 achievement points
  • Akimbro
    Akimbro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for this knowledge to be much needed as my differential of crafting to dps matrix has been lacking. What are your thoughts on the implications of race change balance to the effect of RNG loot to the craftingable writs. So far my own test has discovery of crafting on argonian to provide the most passive dps but the tail is a atrocious not feature. Your testing will help many of us anti lizard crafters to perform more better to the CP cap players to once again shrinking the roof to the ceiling gap.

[Edited for religious reference.]
    Edited by ZOS_Mika on January 28, 2019 4:07PM
    ALACRITY Emperors united RIP
    LAST PRODIGIES World first SO clear RIP

The last egg in the carton.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tmbrinks

I was curious about the patch notes referring to "rare items" for alchemy writ rewards with regards to clam gall and powdered mother of pearl.

Does this mean those two items will be included as part of the basic loot pool where now we get like 3 water hyacinth and 3 mountain flower, or is this a completely new reward in the vein of tempering alloy/rosin/dreugh wax?

Just curious if you happened to get any during your testing.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Feric51 I did not do any of the Alchemy writs, I honestly forgot that that change was added. I will do some today (got the day off work because of icy roads, so have time to look at it)

Update... I did the alchemy writs a total of 30 times (a couple had the quest from yesterday still). I did not receive a single Clam Gall or Powdered Mother of Pearl. Seems the drop rate is rare indeed, rarer than the gold improvement materials (I can usually count on getting between 3-5 of each tempers/wax/rosin on 26 a day) Will look again tomorrow.

19 of those attempts were on an account that has access to Summerset
    11 of those attempts were on an account that does not have access to Summerset (Patch notes don't say, but since Clam Gall and Mother of Pearl only drops in Summerset, there might be a lock on it, like jewelry crafting... or there might not)

Edited by tmbrinks on January 23, 2019 4:01PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • jlb1705
    jlb1705
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see some more information - I had been wondering how that was all going to shake out.

It sounds like mats for crafting writs will become less sustainable at lower levels, but a little bit more sustainable at the highest level. That is helpful for me now, but it would have sucked when I was starting out 18 months ago. It's going to take a bigger time investment in farming for people leveling their first character to get to the point where they can fulfill all of the writs every day. That's kind of a big deal for those players because it's currently one of the best ways to get some gold when you're just getting started.

As for the higher levels, this will likely allow me to put points back into my clothier crafting level. I dropped back down to level 1 a couple weeks ago when I ran out of silk and started doing writs with jute instead. I sold all of the master writs I had been holding that required silk. I'm getting a bit of a stockpile again, and these changes will keep it from running down so fast, and with enough farm-as-you-go and deconstruction, it might even be self-sustaining for one character.

Jewelry crafting is still pointless for anything other than improving dropped pieces, so I'll just keep doing those with pewter.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jlb1705 wrote: »
    Good to see some more information - I had been wondering how that was all going to shake out.

It sounds like mats for crafting writs will become less sustainable at lower levels, but a little bit more sustainable at the highest level. That is helpful for me now, but it would have sucked when I was starting out 18 months ago. It's going to take a bigger time investment in farming for people leveling their first character to get to the point where they can fulfill all of the writs every day. That's kind of a big deal for those players because it's currently one of the best ways to get some gold when you're just getting started.

As for the higher levels, this will likely allow me to put points back into my clothier crafting level. I dropped back down to level 1 a couple weeks ago when I ran out of silk and started doing writs with jute instead. I sold all of the master writs I had been holding that required silk. I'm getting a bit of a stockpile again, and these changes will keep it from running down so fast, and with enough farm-as-you-go and deconstruction, it might even be self-sustaining for one character.

Jewelry crafting is still pointless for anything other than improving dropped pieces, so I'll just keep doing those with pewter.

I agree that the 1st tier writs are now going to be far less sustainable. Any of my characters that aren't doing top tier writs are doing tier 1 writs, as it's wholly sustainable. With the update, it won't be, so I'll have to move some to higher tiers once I start running out of tier 1 mats. I'll still get some doing top tier writs, but it's not a reliable way to get tier 1 mats.

I like what seems to be another change, that you get cloth mats when doing cloth writs and leather mats when doing leather writs. That will help to build up silk, certainly, as top tier writs are now somewhat sustainable and knowing I'll definitely get 15 silk when doing a cloth writ, will make doing them much easier.

I don't particularly like the change to the jewelry mats, as getting 5 meant tier 1 was pretty much sustainable. It still will be, if you get pewter as random rewards from other tiers, but if you have more than 1 alt doing those tier 1 writs (as I do), I'll run out sooner. Well, maybe not, if enough pewter drops from the top tier writs. Also, not sure why 1 UNREFINED copper DUST is provided and not 1 refined ounce, at tier 2, unlike the other tiers which provide 1 ounce of refined mats.

I was also hoping that at top tier, we'd get an additional batch of mats at that level, since there is no higher level, but of course, they decided to give us 10 of a lower level instead.

Also, another change to writs has to do with the Alchemy master writs, where the requirement will be 16 potions/poisons instead of 20. Thank Azura! No more stacks of 12 poisons leftover.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

I agree that the 1st tier writs are now going to be far less sustainable. Any of my characters that aren't doing top tier writs are doing tier 1 writs, as it's wholly sustainable. With the update, it won't be, so I'll have to move some to higher tiers once I start running out of tier 1 mats. I'll still get some doing top tier writs, but it's not a reliable way to get tier 1 mats.

I like what seems to be another change, that you get cloth mats when doing cloth writs and leather mats when doing leather writs. That will help to build up silk, certainly, as top tier writs are now somewhat sustainable and knowing I'll definitely get 15 silk when doing a cloth writ, will make doing them much easier.

I don't particularly like the change to the jewelry mats, as getting 5 meant tier 1 was pretty much sustainable. It still will be, if you get pewter as random rewards from other tiers, but if you have more than 1 alt doing those tier 1 writs (as I do), I'll run out sooner. Well, maybe not, if enough pewter drops from the top tier writs. Also, not sure why 1 UNREFINED copper DUST is provided and not 1 refined ounce, at tier 2, unlike the other tiers which provide 1 ounce of refined mats.

I was also hoping that at top tier, we'd get an additional batch of mats at that level, since there is no higher level, but of course, they decided to give us 10 of a lower level instead.

Also, another change to writs has to do with the Alchemy master writs, where the requirement will be 16 potions/poisons instead of 20. Thank Azura! No more stacks of 12 poisons leftover.

currently, you get 25 at a lower tier from max level... now at least you get 15 from your tier, and 10 from a lower. I'd say it's an improvement.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

currently, you get 25 at a lower tier from max level... now at least you get 15 from your tier, and 10 from a lower. I'd say it's an improvement.

Oh, yes! Definitely an improvement, and I'll gladly take it. I was just wondering what they were going to do at top tier and was hoping for extra of the top tier mats rather than a doubling of the lower tier. But, getting about half of your mats back, guaranteed, is great and makes top tier much more sustainable.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They put the lower tier mats in the surveys, because once they changed the "zone" level of farming materials, and made it based on 50/50 of your craft level/passive level in that craft, there was no longer a way to get those lower level materials unless you took skill points out of the passive.

I've been selling the low level mats in one of my trading guild now for the better part of 2 years and I still have over 3k of each type in my craft bag.

I'm glad to get some of them, because they sell, they are a source of extra gold, but it will be much more advantageous to get the upper tier materials.

The ones that I'll have to look at closely are the jewelry crafting ones. Currently I'm doing 1/2 my writs at max level, and 1/2 at low level. But platinum ingots are super cheap (at least on PC/NA), so they aren't really expensive to do.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this going to impact in any way the acquisition of Chromium Grains or Chromium Plating (for gold jewelry)?

It's about 400k gold per piece of jewelry to upgrade from purple to gold -- that's absurd so I'm wondering if writs are the way to go?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this going to impact in any way the acquisition of Chromium Grains or Chromium Plating (for gold jewelry)?

It's about 400k gold per piece of jewelry to upgrade from purple to gold -- that's absurd so I'm wondering if writs are the way to go?

Though I haven't personally tested the drops for improvement grains/platings on PTS ... the patch notes only allude to the refined materials.

Not sure if @tmbrinks kept track of improvement grains drops. I don't think these drops changed, however.

I think you've probably read this in other threads, @GrumpyDuckling, but the reason Chromium Grains are rare is so players aren't skipping difficult content to get their gold jewelry.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Though I haven't personally tested the drops for improvement grains/platings on PTS ... the patch notes only allude to the refined materials.

Not sure if @tmbrinks kept track of improvement grains drops. I don't think these drops changed, however.

I think you've probably read this in other threads, @GrumpyDuckling, but the reason Chromium Grains are rare is so players aren't skipping difficult content to get their gold jewelry.

I have not kept track of the drop rates for refining or writs on PTS. There was no mention of the drop rates changing on the patch notes (doesn't mean they haven't... they've stealth changed things before)

I have, however, kept track of drop rates from refining on Live... it's a 0.5% drop from refining for all gold improvement materials. I haven't specifically kept track from doing JC writs, but anecdotal evidence would suggest me to believe the drop rate from a writ is between 15-20%, I'll usually get between 2-5 a day doing JC writs on 15 characters (8 at max level, 7 at level 1) Each week, from the surveys I get from them as well, I generally harvest about 2k platinum dust, which is good for another 10 or so grains a week.

At least on PC/NA, it's only about 300k now (Platings are selling for about 75k), so that puts it in line with Necklaces from the golden. I know it may be more on other platforms.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses :)
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for taking the time to do this, @tmbrinks! I was especially curious about the alchemy writ changes, but the rest of the info is surprisingly positive as well.
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated Clam Gall and Powdered Mother of Pearl drops... 56 alchemy writs, 0 drops so far. Yikes.
  • IntelligentAmsomniac
    Thanks for all the testing! However, with the drop rate of clam gall and powdered mother of pearl suggested in this thread, they may have not added them at all from my point of few. At least you should get the usual 3 when you get them or the drop rate will be meaninglessly low.

Also, is there a difference in the golden improvement materials' drop chance depending on what level writs you do? Specifically, are my chances of getting an alloy/wax/rosin/kuta lower for level 1 writs compared to doing them at max level? Just wondering what's the optimal level of writs to complete to maximize my chances of getting those improvement materials to drop.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated Clam Gall and Powdered Mother of Pearl drops... 56 alchemy writs, 0 drops so far. Yikes.

At this point we have to question if the system was actually implemented at all. Are there reports of anyone actually receiving these rewards from writs? I'm fine with them being extremely rare, but it's very hard for players to know the difference between "extremely rare" and "non existant" in a test environment when we aren't told the drop rates to test with.

Had ZOS said the drop rate was "approximately 25%" there would be a very good chance it's broken. Without knowing actual intended drop rates, we have no clue. To be safe, I'd report it to ZOS as a bug and have them recheck on their end if the drop rates are appropriate.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

At this point we have to question if the system was actually implemented at all. Are there reports of anyone actually receiving these rewards from writs? I'm fine with them being extremely rare, but it's very hard for players to know the difference between "extremely rare" and "non existant" in a test environment when we aren't told the drop rates to test with.

Had ZOS said the drop rate was "approximately 25%" there would be a very good chance it's broken. Without knowing actual intended drop rates, we have no clue. To be safe, I'd report it to ZOS as a bug and have them recheck on their end if the drop rates are appropriate.

sadly, "rarely" in ZoS language has typically meant a <5% chance to drop... if it were only 1 or 2% chance to drop then doing 56 without a drop wouldn't be out of line
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the testing! However, with the drop rate of clam gall and powdered mother of pearl suggested in this thread, they may have not added them at all from my point of few. At least you should get the usual 3 when you get them or the drop rate will be meaninglessly low.

Also, is there a difference in the golden improvement materials' drop chance depending on what level writs you do? Specifically, are my chances of getting an alloy/wax/rosin/kuta lower for level 1 writs compared to doing them at max level? Just wondering what's the optimal level of writs to complete to maximize my chances of getting those improvement materials to drop.

That's pretty much what I was trying to test. Do you "rarely" get 3 of them, which is the normal drop rate of alchemy materials... or is it "rarely" a bonus 1 above the normal drops
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any more updates on this @tmbrinks?

I'm currently preparing some crafting alts on the live server to help generate some additional resources once U21 hits, and part of that was getting them all to master alchemist for the clam gall/mother of pearl drops. If the chance is less than 5%, I'm not sure I'll bother doing alchemy on those characters -- seems like they would eat more resources than they generate, or at best break even.

I'm not sure how to feel about that. As a clam hunter, I'm happy to see a solid source of income remain viable. On the other hand, if the value of those materials doesn't tank from the market being flooded with them, I would also be happy to have a few extra in my pocket to sell or use personally.
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tatanko wrote: »
    Any more updates on this @tmbrinks?

I'm currently preparing some crafting alts on the live server to help generate some additional resources once U21 hits, and part of that was getting them all to master alchemist for the clam gall/mother of pearl drops. If the chance is less than 5%, I'm not sure I'll bother doing alchemy on those characters -- seems like they would eat more resources than they generate, or at best break even.

I'm not sure how to feel about that. As a clam hunter, I'm happy to see a solid source of income remain viable. On the other hand, if the value of those materials doesn't tank from the market being flooded with them, I would also be happy to have a few extra in my pocket to sell or use personally.

Alchemy writs are worth it regardless of if they drop the clam gall or powdered mother of pearl... they just got better, regardless of the drop rate of them. Surveys... can give a lot of very valuable flowers from them.

I have not had a chance to test any further, been busy with work and other in-game things.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I have not kept track of the drop rates for refining or writs on PTS. There was no mention of the drop rates changing on the patch notes (doesn't mean they haven't... they've stealth changed things before)

I have, however, kept track of drop rates from refining on Live... it's a 0.5% drop from refining for all gold improvement materials. I haven't specifically kept track from doing JC writs, but anecdotal evidence would suggest me to believe the drop rate from a writ is between 15-20%, I'll usually get between 2-5 a day doing JC writs on 15 characters (8 at max level, 7 at level 1) Each week, from the surveys I get from them as well, I generally harvest about 2k platinum dust, which is good for another 10 or so grains a week.

At least on PC/NA, it's only about 300k now (Platings are selling for about 75k), so that puts it in line with Necklaces from the golden. I know it may be more on other platforms.

Hey @tmbrinks ,

Just curious if you ever get gold improvement materials from your 7 characters that are at level 1 when you do JC writs with them, or if the gold improvement materials only drop on your 8 max level characters. Thanks.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @tmbrinks ,

Just curious if you ever get gold improvement materials from your 7 characters that are at level 1 when you do JC writs with them, or if the gold improvement materials only drop on your 8 max level characters. Thanks.

Yes, chromium grains do drop on the level 1 JC writs
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @tmbrinks ,

Is this the same rate as max tier jc writs.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    firedrgn wrote: »

Hey @tmbrinks ,

Is this the same rate as max tier jc writs.

I have not personally kept statistical track of it. But I have not seen a difference, from just anecdotal evidence in the frequency of drops between the different tiers.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    @tmbrinks

Hello, I know you have the other writ data thread going on so not sure to use this one or that.

Have you noticed any change/reversion on live for this data?

The reason I ask is I've been doing CP160+ Tier One for my own data and I am seeing 20 Iron and 5 Steel - 20 Jute 5 Flax and 20 Maple 5 Oak on all.

And I am getting all of that even when I get both a BS and a Cloth Survey.

I guess it could just be because at Tier 1 the system doesn't have anything to compute, but I won't be upping my material passives on these writs for a long while.
    Edited by SpAEkus on March 13, 2019 7:58PM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SpAEkus wrote: »
    @tmbrinks

Hello, I know you have the other writ data thread going on so not sure to use this one or that.

Have you noticed any change/reversion on live for this data?

The reason I ask is I've been doing CP160+ Tier One for my own data and I am seeing 20 Iron and 5 Steel - 20 Jute 5 Flax and 20 Maple 5 Oak on all.

And I am getting all of that even when I get both a BS and a Cloth Survey.

I guess it could just be because at Tier 1 the system doesn't have anything to compute, but I won't be upping my material passives on these writs for a long while.

Yes, once live hit, they altered the rewards for tier 1 rewards, and changed it to 20 and 5, from the aforementioned 15 and 10 that was the first week of PTS