The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sunspire trial armor sets!

MaximusDecimus
MaximusDecimus
✭✭✭
There has been a trend of weak tank armor sets in the recent trials (being basically useless) and the dps sets being very good. So for the sake of everyone I'm proposing three theoretical sets for the upcoming Sunspire trial with the following in mind: Maintain the level of dps sets in order to provide more options for endgame dps. Make sure any sets always have relevant stat bonuses (i.e. the opposite of Alkosh useless minor slayer). And make sure the tank set provides a useable group buff that would make it relevant in the off-tank or main tank role. These are just theoretical and I really want some ideas from everyone else here to come up with some truly unique sets.

(Dragon to be replaced with boss names)

Dragon's Fury (Light)
2 – 1096 Max Magicka
3 – Gain Minor Slayer at all times, increasing your damage done to Dungeon and Trial Monsters by 5%
4 – 1096 Max Magicka
5 – 833 Spell Critical (Perfected), with each critical light attack gain a stack of dragon's rage. At 5 stacks gain Dragon's Fury, increasing your spell damage by 550 for 15 seconds.

Dragon's Teeth (Medium)
2 – 1096 Max Stamina
3 – Gain Minor Slayer at all times, increasing your damage done to Dungeon and Trial Monsters by 5%
4 – 1096 Max Stamina
5 – 833 Weapon Critical (Perfected), when you deal critical damage you have a 10% imbue your blade's with "dragon name's" power and increase your weapon damage by 525 for 15 seconds. 18 second cooldown.

Dragon's Roar (Heavy)
2 – 1,485 Physical Resistance and 1,485 Spell Resistance
3 – Gain Minor Aegis at all times, reducing your damage taken from Dungeon and Trial Monsters by 5%.
4 – 1206 Max Health
5 – 1096 Max Stamina (Perfected), when you activate a synergy roar with "dragon name's" rage. Any allies within 8 meters gain Minor Courage for 10 seconds, increasing their weapon and spell damage by 129.

For the two dps sets I like the idea I designed but they may be over or under powered based on uptime. I think the only real changes to them would be balancing uptime so that the dps from the sets matches Sirroria and Relequen. The tank set "Dragon's Roar" may be a touch on the weak side at first glance since it only provides localized minor courage but it would also be the only source of minor courage. 10 sec uptime means the tank with have to use their skill to provide maximum uptime for the group similar to Alkosh.

Please if you have any suggestions on modifications or your own ideas put them below. I intend for this thread to be a window for the devs to see what endgame PvE players want out of our gear sets. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_RichLambert
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭

Dragon's Fury (Light)
    2 – 1096 Max Magicka
    4 – 1096 Max Magicka
    5 – 833 Spell Critical (Perfected), with each critical light attack gain a stack of dragon's rage. At 5 stacks gain Dragon's Fury, increasing your spell damage by 550 for 15 seconds.

Dragon's Teeth (Medium)
    2 – 1096 Max Stamina
    4 – 1096 Max Stamina
    5 – 833 Weapon Critical (Perfected), when you deal critical damage you have a 10% imbue your blade's with "dragon name's" power and increase your weapon damage by 525 for 15 seconds. 18 second cooldown.

I don't understand how these sets would maintain the level of DPS we are currently at. With such a simple way to proc and how high crit chance is anymore, these sets would almost always proc on cooldown. So pretty much infinite 438 Weapon damage? Sounds OP to me. You didn't mention a cooldown for spell damage, so I assume it would be 18 seconds as well. Again, sounds way OP. This would be stronger than siroria since you don't need to stand still

vFG1 HM
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    md3788 wrote: »
    So pretty much infinite 438 Weapon damage? Sounds OP to me.
    Spell Strat? Siroria?
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of the many scenarios where the enthusiasm and interest is appreciated but ultimately pointless.
  • IonicKai
    IonicKai
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like that the light armor is bound up in critical light attacks. It will be too difficult to proc reliabily even if you had a perfect light attack weave. The medium set might be too strong but it would be interesting to test it. I think it would beat relequen in most fights since it's a lot more predictable and less single target bound but again it might be a little rough to proc because of compounding conditions. Scathing mage has the same problem which is why the set isn't very popular.

Edit: I think the heavy armor is interesting here although I think the radius should be larger maybe 12 m so that it can reach mag DPS in stacks more easily
    Edited by IonicKai on January 25, 2019 5:44PM
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    So pretty much infinite 438 Weapon damage? Sounds OP to me.
    Spell Strat? Siroria?

I said weapon damage. Not spell damage. So I was talking about the medium set. I didn't notice the need for critical light attacks, so the light armor set may not be as OP as I first thought, but I still stand by the Medium set being OP since it would proc on any critical damage.
    Edited by md3788 on January 25, 2019 6:47PM
    vFG1 HM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool ideas. I would like if they kept with some type of theme for the sets. Like for example:

vMoL had synergy sets. All 4 sets were activated by using a synergy.

vHoF had ultimate sets. All 4 sets were activated by using an ultimate ability.

vCR had “stack and burn” sets. 3 out of 4 resulted in the highest group damage in a single stationary target (Galanwe didn’t really fit).

vAS didn’t really fit with this, and seems to be categorized with the Arenas vMA, vDSA and vBRP to provide ability altering weapons, and no sets with Minor Slayer or Minor Aegis.

I’m not sure what condition would be interesting for the new sets. I’d like to see some ideas. Maybe some type of resource based buffs (more damage when nearly full Magicka/Stamina). Or maybe something the procs on heavy attacks (although Sunderflame and IA might have this one covered). Light attack buildup might be too similar to Relequen.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragon's Roar (Heavy)
    3 – Gain Minor Aegis at all times, reducing your damage taken from Dungeon and Trial Monsters by 5%.
    4 – 1206 Max Health
    5 – 1096 Max Stamina (Perfected), when you activate a synergy roar with "dragon name's" rage. Any allies within 8 meters gain Minor Courage for 10 seconds, increasing their weapon and spell damage by 129.

Please not this crap again. How about something like a DPS set that gives the person who healed you major mending if your resistances are <15k? What is it you're saying? Makes no sense and doesn't benefit the wearer? No fun? Well, same with this tank set you're proposing.

How about a set with a 5p like this:
    When you lose taunt, you get a synergy that you can active to taunt the enemy to the targeted ally.

Super useful for managing adds in fights like vMoL twins, and also perfect for buffing people like you, seconds before getting you killed for making stupid proposals like this.
  • MaximusDecimus
    MaximusDecimus
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the idea of resource based dps sets actually @WrathOfInnos so I think something like this maybe?

Dragon's Fury (Light)
    2 – 1096 Max Magicka
    4 – 833 Spell Critical
    5 – 833 Spell Critical (Perfected), with each critical light attack gain a stack of dragon's rage. At 4 stacks gain Dragon's Fury, increasing your spell damage based on the % or your max stat (Max. 650) for 15 seconds. Can regain stacks after 15 seconds.

Added more spell crit to ensure proc, as well as decreasing number of stacks required. This is like 75% uptime maybe? With 650 spell damage at max resources (which nobody is ever at). So most of the time it will be like 350-450 spell damage.

@ZeroXFF I don't understand why you'd want a heavy dps set. You'd be losing all light armor passives. Also passing taunt is easier than activating a synergy then targeting an ally. I tank vMaw regularly and can tell you such a set is worthless compared to alkosh, torug's, and ebon are all better. Tanks are in trials with the sole purpose of eating damage and buffing the dps. Without sets like the proposed one we'll be stuck wearing Ebon+Alkosh and Alkosh+Torug's forever. That's a sorry excuse for endgame variety.
  • Samsgaard
    Samsgaard
    ✭✭✭
    Without other changes, I doubt there are any sets ZoS could come up with that would displace Ebon/Alkosh/Torug's. I think ZoS is painted into a corner on this. Sets with defensive bonuses for the tank, though seemingly appropriate, will always be shunned because tanks don't need such sets to survive. Perhaps something could be created to compete with the group benefits of Ebon/Alkosh/Torug's, but that wouldn't change the nature of the tanking game as "buff the group." For any real change to happen, I think ZoS would have to nerf the existing meta sets and/or increase the damage tanks take to the point where a self-defensive set would make a difference to survival.

An interesting competitor would be a set that allows the tank to proc an AOE taunt (probably with a long cooldown). That could be a game-changer; but I don't think we'll ever see an AoE taunt in ESO.
  • GaunterODim
    GaunterODim
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like these first propositions. I enjoy when sets give me spell damage or weapon damage on my stats other than increasing the damage of poison abilities by 400 or a damage proc for example.
    When the buffs are easier to proc than others then Im okay with them having a lower maximum bonus. Like with siroria how annoying it is to keep up, it is fair that it gives a load of damage imo.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZeroXFF I don't understand why you'd want a heavy dps set. You'd be losing all light armor passives. Also passing taunt is easier than activating a synergy then targeting an ally. I tank vMaw regularly and can tell you such a set is worthless compared to alkosh, torug's, and ebon are all better. Tanks are in trials with the sole purpose of eating damage and buffing the dps. Without sets like the proposed one we'll be stuck wearing Ebon+Alkosh and Alkosh+Torug's forever. That's a sorry excuse for endgame variety.

Where did I say the dps set would be heavy? It would be light, so that the DDs have to wear it to buff someone else without buffing you in the process. Because that's what you expect tanks to do.

And the 2nd taunt suggestion is not because it's somehow "the best" at anything practical, but it would be the best for killing people in the trial who demand more buffs, which is perfect for trials with you in them.
  • MaximusDecimus
    MaximusDecimus
    ✭✭✭
    @Samsgaard I think we'll never see an AoE taunt simply because of the way ESO's combat works. If a tank AoE taunted any of the add pulls in Maw they'd be toast. The way the adds apply debuffs and have unique mechanics really prevents that kind of play. Granted I agree with this system since it creates a system where players constantly design ways to handle add pulls more effectively. I just want more tanking sets to provide more flexibility. Off-tanks used to sometimes wear powerful assualt and in vAS we used to run SPC before Olorime.

@ZeroXFF You only said the heavy set was trash then suggested a proposal that I took as a replacement idea (thus being a replacement for the heavy set). Also take your toxic attitude and lack of ingenuity and get out of my thread please.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZeroXFF You only said the heavy set was trash then suggested a proposal that I took as a replacement idea (thus being a replacement for the heavy set). Also take your toxic attitude and lack of ingenuity and get out of my thread please.

I suggested a proposal for you to try as a DD, so that you know how much fun it is to buff everyone else but yourself. Maybe if your reading comprehension wasn't on the level of a 5 years old, you would have understood the point I was making. If the questions right after weren't a sufficient giveaway of sarcasm, you should really work on it.

As for the lack of ingenuity, I proposed 2 mechanics that are not present in the game, while you're rehashing the same old stale, clunky, annoying and 99.9% of the time useless "when you activate a synergy" crap. If anyone lacks ingenuity, it's you. So maybe you shouldn't even have started a thread like that with such crappy suggestions. If you can't deal with the criticism, you shouldn't write on a public forum.
  • MaximusDecimus
    MaximusDecimus
    ✭✭✭
    @ZeroXFF Healers already receive major mending from heavy attacks with the resto staff. That set proposal would be completely useless in Trial content. Your second set proposal is that ZoS put in a tank set so you can taunt a boss onto someone and kill them just so you can troll people. I can take criticism, just not from ill-informed or those who are simply here to troll.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MaximusDecimus
    Because healers heavy attack at times when heavy healing is actually required, like vHoF last boss execute phase? You're the one who is ill-informed and keeps projecting your deficiencies onto others.

And again, you're taking those suggestions as if they were serious in any way. They are just there to illustrate how stupid design works, which is what your tank set suggestion is: the worst tank set design ever.

And regardless of what my suggestions are, the point is, DDs wouldn't want to wear sets that buff healers but not themselves, so why should tanks wear sets that buff DDs but not themselves? And I'm sick and tired of this entitlement. If you want to make a tank set, make it useful for tanks, with buffs to anyone else being a bonus, not the main design goal. If you don't do that, your suggestions are bad and you should feel bad.

Also, activation on synergy is cancer, regardless of the buff it provides and who it goes to. I don't want to have to depend on anyone else to make use of the gear I'm wearing. Come up with something that isn't forcing tanks to sacrifice their own fun for the sake of bigger numbers on your screen, and then we can talk. As it stands, I really hope the devs don't listen to your suggestions, because they are absolute utter trash.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a more serious suggestion:

Dragon's Roar (Heavy)
    4 – 1206 Max Health
    5 – 1206 Max Health (Perfected), when you use an Ultimate, you gain Major Vitality (or Major Heroism, or Major Aegis, or Major Protection, really anything that does anything for the tank), and the X closest allies within Y meters of you get Major Slayer for 10 seconds.

Not that hard, see? Works really well if you start to think about anything but your precious deeps.
  • Bowser
    Bowser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torugs is getting nerfed into oblivion with 1h enchants getting cut in half, so that just leaves Ebon/Alkosh. If you want to replace either of these, you'll have to do better than passive 1k health for 12 people and a 3k aoe resistance debuff.
    Edited by Bowser on January 27, 2019 3:29PM
    @King-Koopa
    World First DK Tank Execute on Rakkhat HM
    Play how you want - no meta allowed!
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dragon's Fury (Light)
    2 – 1096 Max Magicka
    4 – 1096 Max Magicka

Dragon's Teeth (Medium)
    2 – 1096 Max Stamina
    4 – 1096 Max Stamina

I don't understand how these sets would maintain the level of DPS we are currently at. With such a simple way to proc and how high crit chance is anymore, these sets would almost always proc on cooldown. So pretty much infinite 438 Weapon damage? Sounds OP to me. You didn't mention a cooldown for spell damage, so I assume it would be 18 seconds as well. Again, sounds way OP. This would be stronger than siroria since you don't need to stand still

Seem pretty balanced to me. Compared to Spell Stragetist or Relequen.
  • MaximusDecimus
    MaximusDecimus
    ✭✭✭
    @ZeroXFF I think you think I'm a dps seeking higher numbers in raid...its funny to me since I am a main tank and I simply am making suggestions that I think would provide more set options. Synergies in raid are plentiful so I don't know why you feel that trying to use them is bad. Also I think you underestimate the power of major slayer. Giving everyone Major Slayer DURING War Horn's Crit bonus is a little much.

"If you don't do that, your suggestions are bad and you should feel bad."
    I think that if me feeling bad about my ideas is a core part of your suggestion you could probably just be slightly more constructive instead.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MaximusDecimus
    How is it different from a tank using war machine? Yes, it's powerful, that's kinda the point, isn't it? Otherwise we will have to continue using cancerkosh.

And funny how you complain about being constructive when your suggestions are *** and you refuse to acknowledge it after you see a better one.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was real for a second and got excited there might actually be a useful tanking set coming out.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC