Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO:Elsweyr : Khajiit furstocks confirmed

Ajaxandriel
Ajaxandriel
✭✭✭✭✭
Some datamine revealed the future mount but tonight we got the official announcement.

At least we'll see the senche-raht form, usable as a mount

d66f5f6853fb7c7832fc5dcbe566733f.jpg

and... and...

alfiq10.png

Alfiq! They'll be speaking-sentient and seemingly "civilized" cats.

Many hardcore khajiit fans will be relieved!

Somehow it retcons/reposition the direction taken in original ESO about this matter, to bring back the khajiit furstocks from the wider TES lore. The scenarists seem willing to avoid the kind of drama and backlash Summerset raised.
I'd say why not! Wait and see how it turns out to be, how this would work...and what for. Lunar lattice really? some magic or biology deeper reason under the myth?
Anyway, if sentient alfiq are a thing, then I see two or three "issues"

- it'll be harder to justify why the PC can not be such types of character,
- it'll be harder to justify why so much khajiit (almost all) are from few types
- they have to show the whole variety of furstocks, I want to know how look like the Dagi and Tojay, Pahmar "bulky" ones, and so on, with their -raht counterpart. Sidestepping this while we travel inside Elsweyr would be frustrating ^^
TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some datamine revealed the future mount but tonight we got the official announcement.

and... and...

alfiq10.png

Somehow it retcons/reposition the direction taken in original ESO about this matter, to bring back the khajiit furstocks from the wider TES lore. The scenarists seem willing to avoid the kind of drama and backlash Summerset raised.
    I'd say why not! Wait and see how it turns out to be, how this would work...and what for. Lunar lattice really? some magic or biology deeper reason under the myth?

- it'll be harder to justify why so much khajiit (almost all) are from few types
    - they have to show the whole variety of furstocks, I want to know how look like the Dagi and Tojay, Pahmar "bulky" ones, and so on, with their -raht counterpart. Sidestepping this while we travel inside Elsweyr would be frustrating ^^

I dont know how many furstocks ZOS has bothered to make beyond the three we have as of this announcement. But its quite possible for them to expand on furstocks at a later point if they cant get to it here. Understandably adding all of the furstocks would be a huge undertaking.

I hope they add them, but Im not going to hold my breath as its quite unfair to expect that level of detail and immersion. There is something like 16 furstocks according to the lore. That is a lot of models to expect ZOS to churn out. Even expecting 8 models per zone would be unlikely in my opinion. My guess is we might get a few more than what we know of right now. But if ZOS wants to add the whole laundry list of breeds. Theyll have to do it separate of the addition of zones.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Saphayla
    Saphayla
    ✭✭✭
    Where is that YouTube screenshot from?
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah! I'm very excited by the inclusion of the Alfiq. It seems they actually might be making new models, and or course clothes, for them too, which was more than I was willing to hope for, so I'm impressed. Very excited to see the quests and stories they're involved in.

They can talk, too, which will be fun. Old lore said they couldn't, but that might not necessarily be wrong - maybe they talk with Illusion magic. Either way I don't mind, and their ability to talk will surely expand the variety of stories they can participate in.

Since not all of Elsweyr will be in the chapter, it's possible that some of the other forms won't show up yet - most likely at least the Dagi and Tojay will be hiding out in the deeper south Zones with the rest of the Tenmar forest (I am glad we can at least see some of the Tenmar though).

But disappointed by that fact, but hey, they aren't retconning them out, so I'd rather they take their time and portray them as best they can rather than rush them in minimalisticly. At the very least, I expect we'll have some new lore about them. :)

But, maybe the Ohmes could still show up in this chapter at least, since it would be a fairly easy model based on the Bosmer, just with new tattoos. Could even say Pahmar with the Senche-tiger/leopard/etc models, but we'll see.
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

and... and...

alfiq10.png

I dont know how many furstocks ZOS has bothered to make beyond the three we have as of this announcement. But its quite possible for them to expand on furstocks at a later point if they cant get to it here. Understandably adding all of the furstocks would be a huge undertaking.

I hope they add them, but Im not going to hold my breath as its quite unfair to expect that level of detail and immersion. There is something like 16 furstocks according to the lore. That is a lot of models to expect ZOS to churn out. Even expecting 8 models per zone would be unlikely in my opinion. My guess is we might get a few more than what we know of right now. But if ZOS wants to add the whole laundry list of breeds. Theyll have to do it separate of the addition of zones.

That would be quite a letdown if they don't. They took a very risky (but interesting) path by having the furstocks happen. We are going to see the heart of Elsweyr now. How would you expect they expand on furstocks on later point?
    That sounds like "Welcome in the heart of Elsweyr! - Wait, where are the Tojay? Aren't they meant to live here? - Well, you won't see them... yet... They're... hiding... I guess." - You see, this sounds like hogwash lore :lol:

I can not see how it would work anyway.

If the lunar lattice thing is canon, well the khajiit form is determined by the calendar of the year - why not then - but how do you explain there is so few variability among the NPCs and PCs?
    Why are there so few Tojay and Dagi around, comparing to other forms?

Do khajiit breed at few moments of the year, making some furstocks statistically very rare?

Why would they hide themselves from the world? Is it some religious belief like the Shadowscale argonians? or a banishment like the Hulkynd high elves?

Sorry but this ever made few sense for me! XD

Building khajiit forms is not that difficult, basically they have the skeleton models already.

As somebody noticed, the Senche-raht is built as a Welwa scaled-up body with a lynx head. This works.
    An Alfiq is a Cat. This works.

They can build digitigrade khajiit (Dagi? Tojay? even Suthay) by using the animation model of the Hungers. Fine solutions are there already!

I hope at least, if they haven't the ressources to do so, then they'll provide in-game lore-friendly explanation for us not to see these "rare" furstocks.
  • Shanjijri
    Shanjijri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saphayla wrote: »
    Where is that YouTube screenshot from?

We saw that picture during the live. I think you can find a replay on Twitch.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I lost you at "civilized" cats.

Magic? Sure.
    Dragons? Why not?

But civilized cats? Even my immersion has limits :trollface:
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so relieved that we'll be getting the Alfiq. I had my doubts, and the datamine of the Senche-Raht mount calmed them a bit, but this is really good news. The fact that they can talk is fine with me, the greater disappointment would have been to have Alfiq as the "default" Khajiit with house cat faces. I'm just hoping that the Pahmar get the same love as the Alfiq.

Whats also comforting about this chapter is that we're not getting the whole of Elsweyr. This leaves ZOS with a "get out of jail free card" of sorts if they can't implement all of the different Khajiit breeds this time around. Looking at this map there will still be alot of Elsweyr left unexplored after the chapter is released, so that would still leave them with at least 2 more zones to add in the rest of the furstocks later on.
    That would be quite a letdown if they don't. They took a very risky (but interesting) path by having the furstocks happen. We are going to see the heart of Elsweyr now. How would you expect they expand on furstocks on later point?
    That sounds like "Welcome in the heart of Elsweyr! - Wait, where are the Tojay? Aren't they meant to live here? - Well, you won't see them... yet... They're... hiding... I guess." - You see, this sounds like hogwash lore :lol:

My favourite thing about the lore of the Khajiit are the different furstocks, but I definitely find this to be a bit of a weak point of the lore myself. What we have to remember is that Bethesda developers have mentioned that the lack of furstocks in the games is not indicative of actual Khajiit lore. There are presumably Ohmes(-Raht) Suthay(-Raht) and Cathay(-Raht) all over Tamriel, but we only ever see one breed due to game limitations.
    If the lunar lattice thing is canon, well the khajiit form is determined by the calendar of the year - why not then - but how do you explain there is so few variability among the NPCs and PCs?
    The Tojay(-Raht) and the Dagi(-Raht) supposedly live in the Tenmar forests. Nobody knows why, but it could very well be something similar to the Shadowscales, in that once they come of age, they are sent to the Tenmar forests to train, or maybe for a completely different reason. Considering we're only getting the top half of Elsweyr this chapter though, I doubt we'll get to see them.
    Do khajiit breed at few moments of the year, making some furstocks statistically very rare?

Why would they hide themselves from the world? Is it some religious belief like the Shadowscale argonians? or a banishment like the Hulkynd high elves?

I hope at least, if they haven't the ressources to do so, then they'll provide in-game lore-friendly explanation for us not to see these "rare" furstocks.
    Its likely that outside of Elsweyr, the Khajiit have to be very careful when considering having a child. But remember that the four legged breeds of Khajiit don't usually venture outside of Elsweyr, probably for fear of their own safety. Consider how xenophobic some cultues of Tamriel can be, its probably best to stay in your own province, where most people would know you're a person and not an animal.

So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kajuratus wrote: »
    Whats also comforting about this chapter is that we're not getting the whole of Elsweyr. This leaves ZOS with a "get out of jail free card" of sorts if they can't implement all of the different Khajiit breeds this time around. Looking at this map there will still be alot of Elsweyr left unexplored after the chapter is released, so that would still leave them with at least 2 more zones to add in the rest of the furstocks later on.
    Oh- You're right, definitely, I hadn't notice this map during the show.
    So I just realize "ESO:Elsweyr" is going to unveil Anequina only.
    I'm a bit disappointed because I'm more fond of the Pellitine part... well, I believe I heard them speak about the Tenmar Forest, so maybe we'll see its nothern part at least...

My favourite thing about the lore of the Khajiit are the different furstocks, but I definitely find this to be a bit of a weak point of the lore myself. What we have to remember is that Bethesda developers have mentioned that the lack of furstocks in the games is not indicative of actual Khajiit lore. There are presumably Ohmes(-Raht) Suthay(-Raht) and Cathay(-Raht) all over Tamriel, but we only ever see one breed due to game limitations.

I find it waaaayyyy more uncomfortable to be told "they are here but the game doesn't show them because of game limitations", you know, that's brutally immersion-breaking! :lol:

The Tojay(-Raht) and the Dagi(-Raht) supposedly live in the Tenmar forests. Nobody knows why, but it could very well be something similar to the Shadowscales, in that once they come of age, they are sent to the Tenmar forests to train, or maybe for a completely different reason. Considering we're only getting the top half of Elsweyr this chapter though, I doubt we'll get to see them.

Its likely that outside of Elsweyr, the Khajiit have to be very careful when considering having a child. But remember that the four legged breeds of Khajiit don't usually venture outside of Elsweyr, probably for fear of their own safety. Consider how xenophobic some cultues of Tamriel can be, its probably best to stay in your own province, where most people would know you're a person and not an animal.
    Well that seems fair explanations so I'm all ok if they show something similar. But it'd be way better, way better, if they do show some specimens of lesser-known furstocks anyway (even as representations on carved walls :p )
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really happy to see this. I was very worried they'd completely retcon the furstocks out of existence, either claiming they never existed or that they're all slightly different builds/fur patterns of the existing khajiit. I was preparing myself to accept the compromise of existing cat models being re-used and maybe slightly scaled up/down.

But now I'm back to being excited about this expansion. :D
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I'm really happy to see this. I was very worried they'd completely retcon the furstocks out of existence, either claiming they never existed or that they're all slightly different builds/fur patterns of the existing khajiit. I was preparing myself to accept the compromise of existing cat models being re-used and maybe slightly scaled up/down.

But now I'm back to being excited about this expansion. :D

One should always keep his expectations low, so this kind of happy news is appreciated haha

P.S. : speaking Alfiq be like
    Salem-Saberhagen-salem-saberhagen-38923748-500-373.jpg

(Salem from Samantha tv show :smiley: )
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    I find it waaaayyyy more uncomfortable to be told "they are here but the game doesn't show them because of game limitations", you know, that's brutally immersion-breaking! :lol:

You've got to remember that Suthay(-Raht) and Cathay(-Raht) all look very similar to each other, they just have different heights and maybe different muscle distribution. Sure, it should be easy AF to implement them in a game, but BGS hasn't really kept up very well with their lore since Oblivion. Khajiit have never been the focus of a mainline TES game, or any TES game for that matter, its only natural that the developers wouldn't really think twice about including any of the different sub-breeds.
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

and... and...

alfiq10.png

Building khajiit forms is not that difficult, basically they have the skeleton models already.

As somebody noticed, the Senche-raht is built as a Welwa scaled-up body with a lynx head. This works.

They can build digitigrade khajiit (Dagi? Tojay? even Suthay) by using the animation model of the Hungers. Fine solutions are there already!

Some of it can work by adding some of them at a later date because not all of Elsweyr is being released with this Chapter, and it only briefly dips into the Tenmar forest area. We don't know much about the Dagi or Tojay but the one thing we do know is that they're said to live in the Tenmar forest (for whatever reason, maybe their form is able to excel very well in the type of landscape), so maybe they just won't show up into a full Tenmar zone gets released.

There doesn't necessarily need to be an explanation for why we don't see all of the different forms right away at first, and honestly I'd prefer they didn't because any explanation that they would give wouldn't really float very well, or make it feel worse. In the end it's just down to the same reason we don't see children in the game. It's not that they don't exist, we just don't see them. If we try to make them say why, and it's something like "the other forms are extremely rare" or "khajiit breed in a way to make bipedal forms the most common" then it takes away from the worldbuilding potential because now those furstocks aren't actually something you would see equally in their everyday society, and do go from "we just don't see them" to, "no, they actually aren't there."

I'd rather they decide to take the long route and do a good job with the Khajiit furstocks, even if that means spacing some of them out until deeper zones of Elsweyr is released. It's difficult since this is the most anticipated aspect of Khajiiti culture for me, and of course seeing all of Elsweyr was important to me too so I'm a bit let down by that - but I know I'd be more let down if the furstocks or Elsweyr itself isn't done to the best that it can be.

I am very glad that we are getting to see at least the Alfiq, and Senche-raht (probably Senche and Alfiq-raht as well in the case). Still in the air if we see some of the more easier to develop ones like Ohmes and such, but I'm not holding my breathe on Tojay or Dagi variants until Tenmar fully gets added. That doesn't mean we won't get more lore on them to help us imagine what they'll look like for when we do get to go there and see them later. I'm pretty certain we'll get at least that.
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lost you at "civilized" cats.

Magic? Sure.
    Dragons? Why not?

But civilized cats? Even my immersion has limits :trollface:
    You pagan.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Korah_Eaglecry
      Korah_Eaglecry
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Robo_Hobo wrote: »

and... and...

alfiq10.png

Some of it can work by adding some of them at a later date because not all of Elsweyr is being released with this Chapter, and it only briefly dips into the Tenmar forest area. We don't know much about the Dagi or Tojay but the one thing we do know is that they're said to live in the Tenmar forest (for whatever reason, maybe their form is able to excel very well in the type of landscape), so maybe they just won't show up into a full Tenmar zone gets released.

There doesn't necessarily need to be an explanation for why we don't see all of the different forms right away at first, and honestly I'd prefer they didn't because any explanation that they would give wouldn't really float very well, or make it feel worse. In the end it's just down to the same reason we don't see children in the game. It's not that they don't exist, we just don't see them. If we try to make them say why, and it's something like "the other forms are extremely rare" or "khajiit breed in a way to make bipedal forms the most common" then it takes away from the worldbuilding potential because now those furstocks aren't actually something you would see equally in their everyday society, and do go from "we just don't see them" to, "no, they actually aren't there."

I'd rather they decide to take the long route and do a good job with the Khajiit furstocks, even if that means spacing some of them out until deeper zones of Elsweyr is released. It's difficult since this is the most anticipated aspect of Khajiiti culture for me, and of course seeing all of Elsweyr was important to me too so I'm a bit let down by that - but I know I'd be more let down if the furstocks or Elsweyr itself isn't done to the best that it can be.

I am very glad that we are getting to see at least the Alfiq, and Senche-raht (probably Senche and Alfiq-raht as well in the case). Still in the air if we see some of the more easier to develop ones like Ohmes and such, but I'm not holding my breathe on Tojay or Dagi variants until Tenmar fully gets added. That doesn't mean we won't get more lore on them to help us imagine what they'll look like for when we do get to go there and see them later. I'm pretty certain we'll get at least that.

Couldnt have said it better. We need to be patient, still holding ZOS feet to the coals on whats important. But things need to be done right.

3-4 new very well done furstocks is better than none. And much better than 16 poorly implemented furstocks.
      Penniless Sellsword Company
      Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
      Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
      Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
      Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
      What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
    • Nifthir
      Nifthir
      Soul Shriven
      While rewatching the video of the "season of the dragon reveal", at 13:34 I saw a nice artwork of a "normal" Khajiit (supposedly, and hopefully, wearing one of the new motives!), or so I thought, but then noticed that at the top left corner there is a writing that says "Cathay-raht statue"!

So another furstock confirmed I guess!

English isn't my first language, so I apologise in case of any eventual mistake.
    • Robo_Hobo
      Robo_Hobo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      This relief from the PTS shows a Khajiit with digitigrade feet (also no tail?)

halls.png

So digitigrade isn't completely forgotten!

• Ajaxandriel
      Ajaxandriel
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Nice details from the walls!

He looks like a Mane! But was he? who was he? maybe the first one (I can't wait to know ^^)
      He used a chain to "fetter" a dragon leader and end their reign, then he brought the remaining dragons into cell, then he was murdered by man.
    • Smaxx
      Smaxx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It's pretty much safe to assume that this is Khunzar-ri, who's said to have tricked the dragons into a trap, according to Legend.

Edit:
      9prq41cqoql8.png
      @Nifthir's Cathay-raht statue
      Edited by Smaxx on January 22, 2019 9:43PM
    • Robo_Hobo
      Robo_Hobo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      @Smaxx

I'm not so sure about the statue being Khunzar-ri, because the wall reliefs a couple posts above is him, showing a bit of his story with the dragons and the Betrayer, and in those depictions he has digitigrade feet, a long mane and no tail, while the statue has plantigrade feet, a tail, and no mane. I suppose it could just be down to different interpretations of what he might have looked like, from future generations though.
    • Smaxx
      Smaxx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Ah, you misunderstood me, since I've added the statue later. Should have made it in a second post. My remark regarding Khunzar-ri was only related to the reliefs, not the statue.
    • Nifthir
      Nifthir
      Soul Shriven
      Thank you @Smaxx for adding the picture! I tried to, but miserably failed :D