Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question: Least lore-breaking race to be a Necromancer?

Cloudtrader
Cloudtrader
✭✭✭✭✭
Sorry, this is my first Elder Scrolls game and I'm not fully cognizant of all of the lore, so I thought I'd ask here. I do know that most of Tamriel seems to be very much opposed to necromancy, with the Redguards in particular being very much against it, if I'm remembering that Aliki'r Desert questline correctly. I would like to play the new class, but I was wondering if any of the races in the game are not quite as against it as other races? Do the Dunmer care? There seemed to be lots of shady stuff going down in Vvardenfell among the upper echelons of society, so maybe Dark Elves care about Necromancy less? I don't know about the Khajiit, but it would be cool to start Elsweyr with a brand new kitty necromancer (maybe even a vampire kitty necromancer, for extra evilness), but I'm not sure what the Khajiit attitude towards necromancy is? What about Altmer? I was toying with making a High Elf character who was part of the House of Reveries, could she be a necromancer, too, without everyone on Summerset wanting to run her out of town, just finding her somewhat distasteful?

Note: I don't care much about min/maxing and I'm not an RPer with other people, I just like to make stories about my characters in my head while I play them.
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing is least or more lore-breaking, my dude. The fact you're playing a Necromancer already means that your character is most likely an outcast of society. Just play any race for your Necromancer...But, if you want lore regarding racial cults who view necromancy as a tool, here are the ones I can think of at the top of my head:

Dunmer - House Telvanni views necromancy as a tool like most forms of magic. However, the other Houses despise necromancy as such magic disrespects their ancestors.

Argonian - The Veeskhleel are a vilified Argonian tribe who stalk outsiders and Saxhleel alike for the sake of using them for their experiments. They are also known to bind Saxhleel souls onto Nirn to keep it from returning to the Hist and raising/enslaving the dead for the sake of tormenting other tribes.

Breton - Rivenspire has a common problem of necromancer outcasts of society, Reachmen (if you count them as Bretons, I personally don't) also have a tendency to approach the darker arts like necromancy or vile forms of nature-manipulating magic.

Redguard - The Withered Hand is a Redguard cult who delves deep into necromancy and cares very little for the Yokudan tradition of respecting the dead.

Imperial - The Shadow Legion seemed to not really care about what sort of magic they researched, given they made a training facility in a slipstream realm (a realm which is between Mundus and Oblivion) and used Daedra for training purposes. Conjuration is only a step away from necromancy after all.

There are also numerous multiracial cults who seem to accept any outcast of society who delves into the darker arts. The Worm Cult (or what's remaining of it since it does last until the 3rd Era) is one of such cults.

EDIT
    Altmer would probably run someone out of town for being a necromancer. Like Dunmer, Altmer respect their ancestors and wouldn't like the idea of a necromancer hovering around their sacred dead. Khajiit don't like necromancy either, if they're not fond of a Dro-m'Athra possessing someone, they wouldn't be fond of a necromancer 'possessing' their dead.

Edited by Claudman on January 18, 2019 8:23PM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orc would be a good pick. Even tho they aint fans of magic and prefer to bash in heads, during a delve-quest in Wrothgar (which u should do if u havent before clicking the link), u learn about the history of an orc necromancer who was respected among clan chiefs.

Imperials seem to be a good choice. Among npcs, noone seems to be to surprised when they turn out to be necromancers.

Bretons seem to be okay with everything giving them power. loyalty or honor aint their strong trade when its about to make a deal with the devil for personal gain.

Telvanni mages r cool with everything that makes them stronger.

Bosmer eat the dead and craft wepaons from their bones. Would be kinda hard to find something to animate growing up in that culture. Aslong as u dont burn down the wood, they'd be okay with u.

Khajiit r most likely indifferent. After summoning a dromathra, which went rampage against friend and foe alike: "Why would anyone summon such horrible a monster??" - "Out of revenge! And it amuses this one."

Nords look down on any milkdrinking weakling mage, wouldnt say they have a special hate for necros. However they craft the draugr, there might be some necromancy in it.

Argonians put stakes thru their dead to make it harder for them to stand up when they return. Wont like u for lending them a helping hand.

Redguard would imho be the worst choice. Their culture honors the ancestor so much, that u become an outcast for killing an undead.

I think if u look close enough u can find a necromancer in any race thruout eso. So being the second execption wouldnt be that bad.
    Edited by eso_nya on January 18, 2019 8:55PM
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperials; they literally employ Necromancers as a part of their armed forces, even during the Third Era. Necromancy is perfectly legal, and even somewhat supported, by Imperial Law.
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go with a House Telvanni Dunmer. If you want a character of magical aptitude who seeks power and authority, there is no better choice. You’d be safe practicing any magic, no matter how taboo, in Morrowind’s eastern Telvanni lands. The powerful define the standards of virtue, after all; necromancy is just another means of power to the aspiring Telvanni. They even accept vampires, if you want to go that route.

That being said, I would probably stay away from Redguard unless you really, really want to be an outcast. The same goes for Altmer and the other Dunmer great houses.

Finally, given the state of the Cyrodiil, Imperials are also a good choice. Many survivors are wrapped up in cults as a means of survival, so a necromancer would make sense. Just know you probably wouldn’t want to play as a magicka-based character if you go this route and care about the meta.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Go with a House Telvanni Dunmer. If you want a character of magical aptitude who seeks power and authority, there is no better choice. You’d be safe practicing any magic, no matter how taboo, in Morrowind’s eastern Telvanni lands. The powerful define the standards of virtue, after all; necromancy is just another means of power to the aspiring Telvanni. They even accept vampires, if you want to go that route.

That being said, I would probably stay away from Redguard unless you really, really want to be an outcast. The same goes for Altmer and the other Dunmer great houses.

Finally, given the state of the Cyrodiil, Imperials are also a good choice. Many survivors are wrapped up in cults as a means of survival, so a necromancer would make sense. Just know you probably wouldn’t want to play as a magicka-based character if you go this route and care about the meta.

I don't really see Necromancy being normal Imperial behavior in the grand scheme of things. It is accurate that the heartland was taken over by the worm cult but how many of those people actually agree with what is going on? I could just as likely see someone who is a cultist purely because they didn't want to die. This is more or less the concept I'm going with if I make an Imperial Stamcro Tank (I like this term. Props to whoever came up with it).

I'm very curious to see if this new class is going to have its own backstory.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really there is no such thing as a "lore-breaking race to be a necromancer" as its not about your cultural background and more about a persons personal ambitions. Most necromancers do it for power, influence and dominion over others. Thats why youll find all sorts of people with varying racial backgrounds in the ES franchise filling that role as necromancer.

Mannimarco, Abnur Tharn. Both of them come from very religious cultures that shun such acts as necromancy, yet they are at the heart of Molag Bals plot leading the Worm Cult. Anyone with an affinity for magic, or access to it and can put it to work can turn to necromancy.
    Edited by Korah_Eaglecry on January 19, 2019 6:22AM
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Cloudtrader
    Cloudtrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for your replies!

I'm still considering which race to play. I need the characters I play to have good stories in my head, or I just won't like them, so while it may seem weird, I need to get this right. Again, thank you!
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably high elf
  • Angkhar
    Angkhar
    There are an Orc necromancer called Khralek gro-Vortag who tortue soul of dark elves. Yar can find that quest (Ritual of Anguish) in deshaan. also in main quest of ebonheart pact there were some nord necromancer who was apprentice of Manimarco.

i think all races can be necroamncer without any lore breaking.
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    Reading how Necromancy is defined here might also give inspiration on creating one.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Necromancy

Edited by Eporem on January 22, 2019 1:55PM
  • BreakdownX98
    BreakdownX98
    ✭✭
    Telvanni definitely, but one thing I do know about televanni is necromancy is ok unless it's a dunmer corpse. Besides that Dunmer is pretty solid for necro. Also, nord could work too if you refer it to dragon cults since dragon priest are necromancers to a degree with draugr.
    Edited by BreakdownX98 on January 22, 2019 5:27PM
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton would be my choice, they are the go to necromancer's in most previous games, their culture is a mixed bag between honorable knights, skulking spies and assassin's, and power hungry mages. Power games are common and so is intrigue in High Rock.

Next best one would probably be Imperial, since necromancy is just legal in Cyrodiil.

After that, Dunmer, cause, as far as they are concerned, it's only necromancy if you raise elves, everything else is free game by their laws.

Then Altmer for the same reason as Breton, they also have their fair share of power hungry mages.

Keep in mind though, a lot of mages in TES do not care about other people's morals, they are often arrogant, and believe they know better, or, just don't care as long as it aids in their pursuit of knowledge or whatever other objective they have. Many people turn to necromancy in their search for immortality, which many mages search for. Any race can fit that, any at all.
    Edited by Tessitura on February 2, 2019 11:27PM
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Claudman wrote: »
    Dunmer - House Telvanni views necromancy as a tool like most forms of magic. However, the other Houses despise necromancy as such magic disrespects their ancestors.

I just checked this one responding to another post. They only despise necromancy when practiced on dunmer corpses. All other corpses are fair game to them.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Necromancy
    This distinction the Dunmer made was essentially meaningless to the human races, as the Dunmer considered them and some other beast races to be little more than animals. While the Dunmer considered the necromantic manipulation of another Dunmer abhorrent, they did not prohibit the practice of necromancy upon human remains, or on the remains of any animal, bird, or insect. The Telvanni, in particular, became renowned for their mastery of necromancy, though it is said even they will not defile the corpse of a fellow Dunmer.

So in terms of cultural acceptability of necromancy, Dunmer are about on par with Khajiit.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a Necromancer isnt Lore breaking whatsoever. Even the Redguard as a people who absolutely abhor raising the dead, can have members of their Race practice it.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Any race will work.

No race is squeaky clean. Hell, the first necromancer you encounter in Oblivion is a Redguard.

My point is, necs' are usually outcasts. Criminals in most societies. The exceptions/notable cases are already posted above.

If we're going to use lore to pick our race, (which I think is a great idea), then instead of ruling out races, we should look for an interesting story that justifies why our chosen race has turned to the dark arts. If possible, using lore to build up the character's history.

You are only limited by your imagination.

PS as a devout pilgrim of Stendarr, Octavimus Carius is an enemy of necromancers. See you out there.
    Edited by CMDR_Un1k0rn on February 3, 2019 12:03PM
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any race would work just fine and not be lore breaking. A character from any race can find their way to the dark side. Heck, many of the zones have necromancers as part of one story or another.
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think any of the races would be lore breaking. The actions of one individual do not reflect the whole of there culture.
  • Ravena
    Ravena
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about the least lore-breaking, but the most lore friendly one is clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyvbdacj7gw
  • KhajiitFelix
    KhajiitFelix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Nord.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Race means less than you think, it matters more about culture. A Redguard makes the least sense if he is from Al'kir. If he was born in High Rock, he is essentially Breton and would see Necromancy differently.

No race is really lore-breaking as a necromancer, but keep in mind where the character would live or go. Necromancer in Al'Kir or raising Dunmer in Morrowind? Yea, probably going to find yourself murdered.

The second point is Necromancers need the dead. Most of Tamriel wouldn't look kindly upon murder or graverobbing.
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, this is my first Elder Scrolls game and I'm not fully cognizant of all of the lore, so I thought I'd ask here. I do know that most of Tamriel seems to be very much opposed to necromancy, with the Redguards in particular being very much against it, if I'm remembering that Aliki'r Desert questline correctly. I would like to play the new class, but I was wondering if any of the races in the game are not quite as against it as other races? Do the Dunmer care? There seemed to be lots of shady stuff going down in Vvardenfell among the upper echelons of society, so maybe Dark Elves care about Necromancy less? I don't know about the Khajiit, but it would be cool to start Elsweyr with a brand new kitty necromancer (maybe even a vampire kitty necromancer, for extra evilness), but I'm not sure what the Khajiit attitude towards necromancy is? What about Altmer? I was toying with making a High Elf character who was part of the House of Reveries, could she be a necromancer, too, without everyone on Summerset wanting to run her out of town, just finding her somewhat distasteful?

Note: I don't care much about min/maxing and I'm not an RPer with other people, I just like to make stories about my characters in my head while I play them.

Manimarco is possibly the most famous Necromancer in the series and he was an Altmer. However many Telvanni Magisters dabble in necromancy to extend their lives so Dunmer is also an appropriate choice.
  • RealWhiteGuar
    RealWhiteGuar
    ✭✭
    My necromancer is going to be a demiprince. Basically I'll just be using one of the Xivkyn skins.
    @RealWhiteGuar | The_White_Guar
    Editor-in-chief
    The Tel Mora Independent Press

Moderator: r/teslore
    Admin: The Dreamsleeve
  • RazielSR
    RazielSR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton to me.
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any race can be any class and any of the undead skill lines, just like in real life people make life decisions to not follow their culture or family business. you can star of your character as a Khajiit and go with the “Khajiit did not choose the Vampire Necromancer life, it chose me!” type of thing just like the first vampire in TES lore obviously did not choose it either.