The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Furniture crafting looks like a PITA

Holycannoli
Holycannoli
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
You need multiple trade skills at various levels in order to craft a lot of the furniture items. You need like 8 in one main crafting skill and 4-6 in all the others if you want to be able to craft all the items available for that main craft. That's a large skill point investment for purely furniture crafting.

Is it even worth it? Or do you need to level a dedicated furniture maker with decent levels in every craft and just give them every single furniture recipe you find? I have a max level clothier, max level blacksmith, 44 woodworker and 34 enchanter. In order for each of them to craft much of the furniture available I have to have each of them spend a lot of skill points in all the other crafts. I don't see the point in it and don't understand why the devs designed it this way.
Edited by Holycannoli on January 19, 2019 9:01AM
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only need a main crafter, could be a dedicated toon or it could be your main toon.

There are more than enough skillpoints in the game.
    Edited by essi2 on January 19, 2019 9:56PM
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Sticky_Paws
    Sticky_Paws
    ✭✭✭
    I only use one master crafter with all trade skills maxed out. They learn all forms of motifs and housing plans. They have all skyshards, and all skill points available to them minus a few for pvp rewards. The toon has ample skill points to use for all crafting plus abilities to suit the ability bars and passives. Long gone are the days of one toon per trade skill.

If you are a new comer to the game, I suggest focusing your crafting to your main toon that you plan to play, that way as you unlock research and craftable knowledge it stays in one spot, aiding your ability to make furniture.

As far as crafting furniture being a "PITA" I enjoy it and have found many folks in game who do as well. many of us housing crafters know the vast majority of housing plans released and cant wait to find/know the rest of the unfound/unreleased furniture crafting. Hint, hint ZOS, More housing plans please!
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh no I'm not new I'm an old beta tester. These characters of mine are from 2014. I have one craft per character.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That was a mistake. :/

It's entirely possible to max all crafting professions on one char plus the usual stuff that they need for actually playing, and if you put in some effort, even for two roles (my crafter is a DD who has enough skillpoints to do some basic healing).

Furniture crafting is a bit of a PITA but mostly because of the lackluster interface, and because some things need ridiculous amounts of random and/or overpriced materials.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With over 400 skill points in the game now, having enough skill points to do both crafting and combat is totally possible. That’s not the issue.

For you @Holycannoli, the issue appears to be whether you have the personal willpower to get one of those characters to max level in all the crafts.

If furniture crafting is really that important to you, then you’ll spend the requisite time to level and get the skill points.

There are a quite a few players that already have at least one (1) grand master crafter ... so it’s definitely not a “design” flaw.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you play regularly and decon the stuff that drops (most importantly, the Intricate items), getting to level 50 in the three older equipment crafts (Blacksmithing, Clothier, Woodworking) doesn't take too long. Alchemy and Provisioning can be powerlevelled by creating stuff, so what you mostly need are ingredients and a few recipes. Enchanting and Jewelry require a bit more effort or resources.

So just max-levelling crafts can be done in a reasonable amount of time even if you're just starting it.

What really matters, are research and recipes. Fortunately, for furniture crafting, trait research is irrelevant, you don't need traits for that.
    If you distributed expensive furniture plans across characters, that's more of a problem; you'd need to re-acquire them, or level those other chars to a point where they can craft what they have learnt.
  • Zathras
    Zathras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need multiple trade skills at various levels in order to craft a lot of the furniture items. You need like 8 in one main crafting skill and 4-6 in all the others if you want to be able to craft all the items available for that main craft. That's a large skill point investment for purely furniture crafting.

Yes. It's fine if you have an older crafter that has all the skills already. If you are just starting out, it is a bit of a slog.
    Is it even worth it? Or do you need to level a dedicated furniture maker with decent levels in every craft and just give them every single furniture recipe you find?
    If you like to decorate and craft, sure. Personally, I like to make my own things. I give my crafter all my furniture recipes. Or, at least I did. I've made a new character for giggles that will craft furniture, so I'm seeing just how long the process is going to take.
    I have a max level clothier, max level blacksmith, 44 woodworker and 34 enchanter. In order for each of them to craft much of the furniture available I have to have each of them spend a lot of skill points in all the other crafts. I don't see the point in it and don't understand why the devs designed it this way.

Well, there is the multi-component aspect of it. For instance, woodworking shouldn't be able to cover every single piece of craftable furniture. The other side of it, is time. They wanted you to log in and work at it, like the other crafts do with traits and motifs, and general leveling.

For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen. - Douglas Adams

It is a rare mind indeed that can render the hitherto non-existent blindingly obvious. The cry 'I could have thought of that' is a very popular and misleading one, for the fact is that they didn't, and a very significant and revealing fact it is too. - Douglas Adams
  • Träumer
    Träumer
    ✭✭✭
    I have one main crafter, which means he is learning all the recipes and blueprints, but I still level and skill the professions on every alt.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy from others if it's not your thing.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With over 400 skill points in the game now, having enough skill points to do both crafting and combat is totally possible. That’s not the issue.

For you @Holycannoli, the issue appears to be whether you have the personal willpower to get one of those characters to max level in all the crafts.

If furniture crafting is really that important to you, then you’ll spend the requisite time to level and get the skill points.

There are a quite a few players that already have at least one (1) grand master crafter ... so it’s definitely not a “design” flaw.

Grand master crafter is one character that is max in all crafts? I'm working on each craft per character and so far have 50 clothier and blacksmith.

I guess my problem now is leveling a new character and training all the crafts on it so I have one dedicated crafter, then getting all the motifs etc again...ugh and researching everything again will take what will feel like a year, literally.
    Edited by Holycannoli on January 19, 2019 4:29PM
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Furniture crafting was OK until ZOS decided to make good recipes super rare and region lock new ones behind exclusive style materials you have to get by doing dailies in the Zone.

Murkmire furnishing plans are still going for 200k because there are about 3 containers across the entire Murkmire Zone.

Of course you can always buy those furnishings on the crown store. ZOS has so much potential with furnishings but instead wants to limit everything as usual.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Bosmer bow/bow NB that is my "jack of all trades" He Pvps( quite well), does a lot of solo work, steals, gathers, and he is a master crafter. Besides green recipes for writs, he is the only one that knows recipes and furnishing plans and most motifs. My other characters only know the cheaper (purple) motifs. They also know all traits for crafting.

Needing skills in multiple crafting professions is not an issue for 99.53% of the people who do furniture crafting. As people who build furniture tend to be heavily into crafting in general anyway.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I might just take my main to 8 in each profession just for the furniture. He's at 6 already just from reading books I think. That should let him craft everything, unless there is furniture that requires 9 or 10 .
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What? It's by far the easiest type of crafting. It doesn't require any traits or anything.

I can barely craft any gear because of my low trait level, but I can craft any furniture piece since it doesn't have trait requirements.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 19, 2019 5:53PM
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Grand master crafter is one character that is max in all crafts? I'm working on each craft per character and so far have 50 clothier and blacksmith.

I guess my problem now is leveling a new character and training all the crafts on it so I have one dedicated crafter, then getting all the motifs etc again...ugh and researching everything again will take what will feel like a year, literally.

the problem with what you are doing right now is that you are going to have to learn 3 sets of motifs now instead of consolidating them. splitting up crafts as 1 per character was never a good idea, not even at release, especially since motifs were a lot rarer and more expensive back then.

that said, for furniture crafting you need to do exactly zero research. getting enough skill points to give you high enough rank doesn't take all that long. so just designate a single character that's going to be your furniture crafter and don't worry about researching traits as they are not needed for funishings.
    Edited by Linaleah on January 19, 2019 7:33PM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Completely agree with Linaleah.

The same applies for motifs. Furniture doesn't require motif knowledge. A dedicated furniture crafter needs the skills levelled; they don't need traits and motifs.

That said - if you want to do master writs or generally craft gear in a certain style, it's still better to have one dedicated crafter who learns all the motifs. If the writ requires you to craft a Xivkyn staff but you learnt the Xivkyn style on your clothier, you're out of luck.

Fortunately, for the outfit system, that doesn't matter. It uses every style that you know on any character so you can have motifs spread about 15 chars and still use all of them for outfits.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't create a new crafting character. I would pick one of your 50's and level the other crafts on it. There are plenty of skill points in the game to max all crafting on a single character and have it also be a combat toon.

The only real hassle I saw with crafting was if you are not an ESO+ member the lack of the crafting bag makes it hard to level multiple crafts in parallel. Without the bag materials take up a lot of inventory and/or bank space that can be used to hold gear for deconstruction.
  • Thalidar
    Thalidar
    ✭✭✭
    Don't bother if you don't have eso plus. I've recently completed my first house and the variety of items needed is scary to say the least. I guess if you don't mind using the bank all day to swap gear, you could do it, but I don't think you'd enjoy it. Way to much of a time waster but then if that's not an issue I've found it quite rewarding creating my little patch of Tamriel.

Edited by Thalidar on January 19, 2019 9:04PM
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or, seeing as I'm on NA PC and know literally every craftable/learnable plan ingame, you could just buy from me!

:D
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, you ideally need one dedicated crafter, who learns all the crafts.

However, in all honestly, it's not really (financially) worth it anymore, no.

This is due to the very high price of the current purple blueprints, the (artificial) scarcity and high price of furnishing mats and the tendency for players to sell their furnishings at too low a price.

Often, you can make as much gold (sometimes, even more) just by selling the furnishing mats.

It wasn't like this before.

You could make, roughly, double the cost of the mats on most things.

Sadly, that is no longer the case.

Now, you're better off just selling motifs and other drops.

I still make my own stuff, where possible (because I enjoy it); but, don't feel you have to do so for financial reasons.
    Edited by Tigerseye on January 19, 2019 10:01PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Furniture crafting was OK until ZOS decided to make good recipes super rare and region lock new ones behind exclusive style materials you have to get by doing dailies in the Zone.

Murkmire furnishing plans are still going for 200k because there are about 3 containers across the entire Murkmire Zone.

Of course you can always buy those furnishings on the crown store. ZOS has so much potential with furnishings but instead wants to limit everything as usual.

I know.

From a purely personal perspective, I wish this was still a sub-only game, with everything included in it, to be honest.
  • Rudyard
    Rudyard
    ✭✭✭
    Get ALL your alts to max crafting in each craft that has a hireling passive, just for the free mats every day.
    Deacon Grim
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rudyard wrote: »
    Get ALL your alts to max crafting in each craft that has a hireling passive, just for the free mats every day.

No free furnishing mats, though, sadly.

• Rudyard
    Rudyard
    ✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    Rudyard wrote: »

No free furnishing mats, though, sadly.

Sell the mats you get for free and then buy furnishing mats. Furnishing mats aren't too expensive nowadays compared to that first year of homestead.
    Deacon Grim