The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mag classes to get a buff with new racial changes?

carlos424
carlos424
✭✭✭✭✭
Looking at the proposed racial bonuses, specifically the addition of a flat spell power value, while eliminating the percentage increase for fire, shock and ice, it occurs to me that skills that deal magic damage will not be effected, other than to be buffed by the new spell power. This seems particularly helpful to classes such as magblade and magplar, who’s majority of skills deal magic damage. (Not so much for magDK, and to a lesser extent magsorc and magwarden.). Also, these changes would seem to buff skills like elemental weapon which is used across many classes. What do you all think?
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There's really no reason to play a magicka-based DD as anything other than an Altmer. The extra racial regen allows the Altmer to focus on stacking toward spell damage.

Though Dunmer also gets a spell damage increase- they have reduced magicka pools and no regen passive... so they will have to focus stacking toward regen.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's really no reason to play a magicka-based DD as anything other than an Altmer. The extra racial regen allows the Altmer to focus on stacking toward spell damage.

Though Dunmer also gets a spell damage increase- they have reduced magicka pools and no regen passive... so they will have to focus stacking toward regen.

Breton seems promising. You have better sustain and resistances than an altmer despite having 258 less spell damage
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka is taking the biggest loss damage wise due to flat number Max stat changes. Those will push damage down way more than any magic damage buff will bring it up.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah I'm glad they moved away from passives that only buff specific damage types. Pretty nice buff for Altmer magdens, magNBs, etc, although builds stacking max magicka took a bit of a hit.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From everything I have read and heard all race choices are equivalent.

It will be interesting to see some testing, but most indications point this way.

I have a gripe with taking fire damage away from Dunmer, but that is more of a magicka DK thing and not a balance as a whole thing.

Breton will also be a strong choice because they can go more damage oriented in the rest of thier setup since they will actually have better sustain than Altmer.

Not to mention Khajiit will also be a strong choice for Magicka.

With the exception of Dunmer I am actually pretty happy with the changes.
    Edited by kojou on January 18, 2019 7:47PM
    Playing since beta...
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly the change buffs the mag skills but don't forget that the total amount of spell damage given only equates to about a 2.5% damage increase. The fire damage, or elemental damage was much higher (7% fire in dunmer and 4% elemental in Altemer.) Furthermore, a mag DD used to get 3,500-4,500 mag from that passive and now will get just 2,000.

I am unaware of any build with more than 50% mag damage (though I think mNB's are pretty close) as most builds that have a lot of mag damage are still more than 50% elemental damage from wall + light and heavy attacks + elemental abilities + monster sets. Once you consider this and the effect of the lower magica pool given as well as the lower regen from the new strange proc regen, mag builds took a pretty clear nerf. The nerf will effect some far more than others though. Pet sorc got 100% nerf as it's damage is 100% elemental and a major source of it (pets) scales only on mag pool and not at all on spell damage. Mag NB got the least nerf as it has the most mag damage abilities to scale up with the new spell damage and the least loss for elemental abilities as it has no class elementals.

As you have noted, there will be some change in relative strength abilities. Crushing shock / Force Pulse will take a big nerf. It was already not meta due to cost and now is even worse. Elemental weapon (which is ironically magica damage) gets a big relative buff. Given the relative value of mag pool / spell damage of something like 11 mag pool = 1 spell damage some abilities will get a very slight buff as they gain 258 spell damage at the cost of ~ 2k mag. Overall though, all mag build DD's will take at least a slight nerf and there will be no discussion between Altmer and Dunmer though their may be some between Altmer and Breton.

I should add that for stam, Redgaurd was actually buffed and was universally best already so stam received a buff objectively and a double buff relative to mag with these changes.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jsmalls wrote: »
    Magicka is taking the biggest loss damage wise due to flat number Max stat changes. Those will push damage down way more than any magic damage buff will bring it up.
    I was originally thinking that most magicka builds would be losing 1.5-2k max magicka, which will definitley effect damage, but have seen conflicting information, based on zos formulas for figuring stats, that suggest the max magicka hit will not be that high.
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    f047ys3v3n wrote: »
    Certainly the change buffs the mag skills but don't forget that the total amount of spell damage given only equates to about a 2.5% damage increase. The fire damage, or elemental damage was much higher (7% fire in dunmer and 4% elemental in Altemer.) Furthermore, a mag DD used to get 3,500-4,500 mag from that passive and now will get just 2,000.

I am unaware of any build with more than 50% mag damage (though I think mNB's are pretty close) as most builds that have a lot of mag damage are still more than 50% elemental damage from wall + light and heavy attacks + elemental abilities + monster sets. Once you consider this and the effect of the lower magica pool given as well as the lower regen from the new strange proc regen, mag builds took a pretty clear nerf. The nerf will effect some far more than others though. Pet sorc got 100% nerf as it's damage is 100% elemental and a major source of it (pets) scales only on mag pool and not at all on spell damage. Mag NB got the least nerf as it has the most mag damage abilities to scale up with the new spell damage and the least loss for elemental abilities as it has no class elementals.

As you have noted, there will be some change in relative strength abilities. Crushing shock / Force Pulse will take a big nerf. It was already not meta due to cost and now is even worse. Elemental weapon (which is ironically magica damage) gets a big relative buff. Given the relative value of mag pool / spell damage of something like 11 mag pool = 1 spell damage some abilities will get a very slight buff as they gain 258 spell damage at the cost of ~ 2k mag. Overall though, all mag build DD's will take at least a slight nerf and there will be no discussion between Altmer and Dunmer though their may be some between Altmer and Breton.

I should add that for stam, Redgaurd was actually buffed and was universally best already so stam received a buff objectively and a double buff relative to mag with these changes.
    I was looking at how the changes would effect my main (magplar) and looking at all the magic damage skills I use. The only elemental skill is blockade, and i guess the inferno staff (fire damage). Otherwise, skills like shards, purifying light, solar barrage, elemental weapon (spammable) etc., are all magic damage, oh and the ever reliable jesus beam.
    Edited by carlos424 on January 18, 2019 8:25PM