Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Books

johnnyvonrotten
johnnyvonrotten
Soul Shriven
So I'm the type of person who, when hearing about this game and all the books that were being created, the lore, etc., thought about how much I'd like to, after questing and getting in a guild and groups and all that... would set up some housing, do crafting, and collect a massive library of books.

Well, the game launched without housing, but that's another thing.

As to the books... am I wrong, or are none of the books actually pick-up? They're just in certain locations where you have to go, find it, and then read it. I understand it's an MMO, so you don't want one player going around and stealing the books away from the other players. But there should be some system where picking up a book will effectively put it in your inventory, but also leave it in the world for other people to pick up a "copy" of, too. It breaks some of the immersion of finding them, I guess, but I still think it'd be great.

Anyone know if this is a thing other people want, if they've said they'd do something like this...
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    The books are all pop up screens and not actual items... the lorebooks, will leave an entry in your lore tab so you can read them. Again no book items.
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are lore entries in your journal but I haven't actually dug into them to see if they let you re-read the books too, or are just achievement markers.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But there should be some system where picking up a book will effectively put it in your inventory
    And how would you plan on storing the hundreds of books this game is likely to have? Inventory and bank space is seriously a problem as it is, I don't think you've though through this idea completely.

• johnnyvonrotten
    johnnyvonrotten
    Soul Shriven
    The books are all pop up screens and not actual items... the lorebooks, will leave an entry in your lore tab so you can read them. Again no book items.

Well, that sucks. They'd be great to have as items for reference/read-later.

• Phaistos
    Phaistos
    ✭✭

Well, that sucks. They'd be great to have as items for reference/read-later.

You did not understand. You can re-read them later on. As soon as you opened them once where you found them, you can always open them up in your lore library (using your journal).

• Terminus
    Terminus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is in fact a system in place that allows you to read ALL of the game's books.
    But, you must earn this privilege!
    You can earn this ability as a reward from...
    [Warning, this is a reward spoiler]
    Completing the Mage's Guild Questline
    Edited by Terminus on April 7, 2014 8:18PM
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    I'm sure if they implement housing, they can meet you halfway and allow you to install bookcases/books to interface with the lore stuff. The one page wonders you find around the world, they probably don't want them centralizable as they can grant skill points (read: someone collecting them all and power skilling lowbies)
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • johnnyvonrotten
    johnnyvonrotten
    Soul Shriven
    KerinKor wrote: »
    And how would you plan on storing the hundreds of books this game is likely to have? Inventory and bank space is seriously a problem as it is, I don't think you've though through this idea completely.

What dannomite82 just said - if housing is created, they should be able to somehow create a "shelf" you can interface with.

Though I'll dig deeper in lore library to reference and see how good of a tool that is. I didn't write that with the understanding that the existing inventory and bank systems would remain unchanged. I simply wrote it to communicate a wish.

Edited by johnnyvonrotten on April 7, 2014 9:32PM
  • johnnyvonrotten
    johnnyvonrotten
    Soul Shriven
    Terminus wrote: »
    There is in fact a system in place that allows you to read ALL of the game's books.
    But, you must earn this privilege!
    You can earn this ability as a reward from...
    [Warning, this is a reward spoiler]
    Completing the Mage's Guild Questline

Thank you, sir.