Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS Problem

• Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing has changed for me. Ok well my ping has dropped, but it has NO effect on my fps. Didn't play long enough for it to crash. Still had to force quit the game.
  • demerdecanswrath
    demerdecanswrath
    ✭✭✭
    Can confirm no performance improvement whatsoever.
    Characters:
    • Arien Larethian (High Elf Templar)
    • Relus Demerdecan (Redguard Dragonknight)
    • Elisia Bonaire (Breton Nightblade)

Proudly playing and producing content on a 2018 15" MacBook Pro.
  • LaughingGremlin
    LaughingGremlin
    ✭✭✭
    I played for 45 min and it did not crash. However nothing else has changed. The Mac client is still slow compared to Windows. Full Screen mode does not work well with the PS4 controller (some buttons do not work), and Windowed FullScreen still has the menu bar on top. It's taking Zinomax a long time to get the Mac client to work right. At this pace we may get a proper working Mac client by the Summer or Fall.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw an FPS improvement in at least in some areas (haven't played much yet) - *after* I disabled vsync and anti-aliasing, which I never run. I was seeing the FPS was worse in some areas, so I went looking at the settings, and for some reason they were on. Looking forward to playing more - including things that I've avoided because I haven't been able to get through them without crashing.
  • dm_critic
    dm_critic
    ✭✭
    The client still froze for me when I left it running in the background and required a force-quit, but otherwise didn't crash. I'm getting consistently about 27 fps regardless of location if I use medium graphics settings. I was able to complete a Battleground without any issues and the framerate stayed around 27 fps instead of dropping down to 12 fps as it previously did.

So for me it's marginally playable, enough that I'll boot back into macOS to do some more extended play tests rather than just playing in Windows 10.
  • eleve
    eleve
    ✭✭
    Just had a crash after playing for ~2 hrs...so...much better than before but not ideal yet.

fps, etc. still the same...spawned into an invisible group of enemies...great fun.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The good - played for more than 30 mins without crashing. Hopefully they have successfully addressed the major issue with the previous update

The unaddressed - FPS still varies from 30 to zero, you still get freezes and judder in Alinor, but no worse than before
    You still get long loading screens with inappropriate sound FX played during them

The bad - this update still doesn’t quit gracefully, which points to continuing major failings in its construction
    QA still appears to be non-existent or unattended to
    Communication from ZOS is equally non-existent

Fundamentally we are back to a pre-crash version of the client

So baby steps with no idea of a plan or roadmap for development
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Logged on. Queued for Cyrodiil. (Eventually) played for 45 mins. Crashed.

Logged back on. Got bored with the shite performance in Cyrodiil. Logged off. Crashed.

Business as usual.

• JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no addressing of the mac issues on the stream unfortunately.

@ZOS_AlexTardif please? we're getting nervous here.
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    JJBoomer wrote: »
    no addressing of the mac issues on the stream unfortunately.

@ZOS_AlexTardif please? we're getting nervous here.

I had assumed as much, regarding the stream.
  • Kaytlin
    Kaytlin
    ✭✭✭
    Post update, FPS still bad 30 FPS when I was getting over 50FPS before Dec 10 fiasco. Crashing not quite as quickly but it only took two hours before I crashed today.
  • raffaeleg
    raffaeleg
    ✭✭✭
    The only improvement I could see after the update, is quitting without forcing quit as I did in the last 3 weeks. The game crashes as usual after 25-30 mins.
    iMac Pro baseline, macOS Mojave
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_AlexTardif

so no more updates then? is dropping mac support being considered? has fixing the mac client being abandoned?

can we know anything please?
  • Vivifier
    Vivifier
    ✭✭
    Improvements after latest patch. In tamriel areas such as glenumbra/stormhaven my fps are stable-ish around 40-45. In summerset i get some small loading troubles example : black character models when i run with my 60 speed horse and sprinting. In cyro I tested only a 10 v20 keep battle with a very stable 36-38 fps. I am on a 27" imac 2017 on a resolution of 2560 x 1440 normal dpi. I can post my ingame settings but they are on high and the sliders about middle. AO off depth off. I use an app to set resolution and I have added a 8gb ddr4 module extra for my gaming.

up0flqhhbjxe.png
    sa6yseybx17o.png

Back in the opengl days I would have around 60-70 fps in grathwood on 1080p with the same hardware.

Conclusion : Not that bad and yes i can see improvements, that by no means mean Zenimax should stop fixing the client and devote their energy to us mac gamers.

BTW: in this resolution in another game but only on a 40v40 clash in a war zone I was getting 25-35 fps, so not bad. I wait for more

• elgirth
    elgirth
    oi99biyi46sy.png

Pretty much sums it up aka @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_AlexTardif (not responding)
    Edited by elgirth on January 23, 2019 11:09PM
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. Same issue for me. I quit game normally, but it goes to long black screen with spin wheel. After awhile I have to force quit ( I make sure that I don't have any other programs open when I quit ESO and I still get the black screen!
    elgirth wrote: »
    oi99biyi46sy.png

Pretty much sums it up
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_AlexTardif

At this rate you can assume that most of us on this thread will not be being any chapters, nor a + membership. In the future. This lack of communication is blatant and disrespectful to us as paying, playing members of the game. Your greed is incredibly obvious the way you put out new homes and chapters constantly. But REFUSE to do even the most basic of game performance issues.

Tell me I'm wrong. Or I can keep pinging you both EVERY,TIME I post anything in here.
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    like @Wodinn said, I think I'm just going to ping @ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_AlexTardif every time I post something in here. And I encourage all MAC users to do the same until we get an update. If we need to fill their notifications non stop, then so be it.

What we need to know is:

1. Are MAC fixes still being worked on, and if so, what is the status of those fixes?
    2. Will the mac issues still take precendence even with the launch of the new chapter, and new chapters always present a risk for more issues, and where MAC clients are suffering right now, are we at risk for another total breakdown of the client?
    3. What is the status of the integration of the Vulkan renderer for the Mac Client?
    4. Can we expect more communication in the future or a freeze out?

Anyone can feel free to add to this list, and make sure to ping both Gina and Alex in your posts.
  • Amphithoe
    Amphithoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not too many FPS problems on my side, but having far too many desyncs. No issues before the patch.
    Guildmaster: School of Julianos
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten so used to Force Quitting the game, that I'd almost forgotten about it. It doesn't matter if I've used the Steam launcher or launched directly into the game. I was hoping my divorce from Steam (except for running updates) would've solved a lot of problems, but alas. Any news on improvements for Mac players @ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_AlexTardif ?
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    JJBoomer wrote: »
    like @Wodinn said, I think I'm just going to ping @ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_AlexTardif every time I post something in here. And I encourage all MAC users to do the same until we get an update. If we need to fill their notifications non stop, then so be it.

What we need to know is:

1. Are MAC fixes still being worked on, and if so, what is the status of those fixes?
    2. Will the mac issues still take precendence even with the launch of the new chapter, and new chapters always present a risk for more issues, and where MAC clients are suffering right now, are we at risk for another total breakdown of the client?
    3. What is the status of the integration of the Vulkan renderer for the Mac Client?
    4. Can we expect more communication in the future or a freeze out?

Anyone can feel free to add to this list, and make sure to ping both Gina and Alex in your posts.

That's basically everything.

@ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_AlexTardif, either of you two care to add to this list?
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    I think this thread should get merged with this thread (listed below) since they are definitely related to the root cause from Update20 and the Vulcan renderer issues:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/448995/unexpected-crashing-while-in-game/p1

ZOS replied, today, in the thread (mentioned above):

hpt2f6qet9dh.png

― Louise L. Hay
  • elgirth
    elgirth
    keto3000 wrote: »
    I think this thread should get merged with this thread (listed below) since they are definitely related to the root cause from Update20 and the Vulcan renderer issues:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/448995/unexpected-crashing-while-in-game/p1

hpt2f6qet9dh.png

Good lookin out. Wonder why they wouldn't reply on this page considering FPS performance I believe was and still is the main issue... whatever at least there is something. You would think open communication from them wouldn't be so difficult or few and far between.
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    I personally feel like FPS is one of the many issues that we are dealing with.. a cluster of issues. The other thread seems to address several of these and I just feel we are better served if we request to consolidate this thread into that one so we are all on board and informed at same time. :)
    elgirth wrote: »

hpt2f6qet9dh.png

Good lookin out. Wonder why they wouldn't reply on this page considering FPS performance I believe was and still is the main issue... whatever at least there is something. You would think open communication from them wouldn't be so difficult or few and far between.

Edited by keto3000 on January 25, 2019 6:11AM

― Louise L. Hay
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Now, along with continuing to ping @ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_AlexTardif. I'll just go ahead and add @ZOS_SarahHecker to the list.

As keto stated. the fps is one of about a half a dozen problem we have been running into. game crashing when doing dungeons/pvp/cyro. Having to STILL, constantly force quit the game when quitting. Just to bring back up a few of them.

I want an answer sooner, than later.
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    I encourage the OP @rluke and/or ZOS should consolidate this thread and the others related to the MAC issues resulting from Mojave/Metal/MoltenVK Murkmire Update20 patch related issues into one thread so we aren't so fractured in our comments na information sharing on this.

Here is great update from @ZOS_SarahHecker posted in the other main forum main thread on this:

y2n216urpmes.png

I encourage everyone here to move to this other main thread and perhaps consolidate or close this one! :smile:
    Edited by keto3000 on January 26, 2019 2:35PM

― Louise L. Hay
  • HowTaoBrownCow
    HowTaoBrownCow
    ✭✭✭
    I encourage everyone here to move to this other main thread and perhaps consolidate or close this one! :smile:

I don't know, man, I kind of like keeping alive the thread that started over a month earlier, has over twice the number of pages and almost 3 times the number of posts. It certainly makes clear the degree to which the the issues are impacting a large number of players, and to the extent that this adds any pressure at all to ZOS, that's all to the good. Even if they don't choose to communicate with us here about it. ;-)
    Censored
  • nckg84
    nckg84
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing has improved. It has only gotten worse. I prefer low fps to extreme high fps drops so please revert all your half baked patches as you clearly have no idea what your doing ZOS.
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I encourage the OP @rluke and/or ZOS should consolidate this thread and the others related to the MAC issues resulting from Mojave/Metal/MoltenVK Murkmire Update20 patch related issues into one thread so we aren't so fractured in our comments na information sharing on this.

Here is great update from @ZOS_SarahHecker posted in the other main forum main thread on this:

y2n216urpmes.png

This thread is supposed to be about FPS issues and the rest of topics raised here is off topic. The other thread is about crashing in game introduced some time after MoltenVK switch (and complains about FPS issues there are also off topic). Also some people currently tend to complain "just because". Both complain of kind "hey, I crashed again" put by the same player even a few times per day (this could be considered even a spam btw) as well as off topics bring nothing new to the discussion really so perhaps some cleaning of both threads could be a good idea to be honest.

• yacoob
    yacoob
    ✭✭
    Soo, anyone can report performance on 4.2.13? The patch notes explicitly mention Mac client, calling out crashes and performance.