The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Buying ESO+ with crowns

Regal_Imp
Regal_Imp
✭✭✭
ZOS should allow the purchase of ESO+ membership with crowns, and here's why:

1) ZOS could charge an equivalent price for the membership in crowns, so they would not be losing any money from the sales.
2) There are many people with in-game gold that would like to buy ESO+ but cannot justify spending real world money on it, furthermore, there are people who have no problem buying crowns with real money, and trading it for in-game gold, this would create a LARGER market for crowns bought with gold, beneficial to the community and to ZOS.
3) In MMOs such as EVE online, the ability to purchase game memberships off of other players has SIGNIFICANTLY increased their game population and value (this is proof of concept).
4) This would remove any argument of ESO+ "pay to win" since you can purchase a membership using gold.

My point is that allowing player's to gift ESO+ memberships would create an entire new niche for crown sales, increasing ZOS revenue, player satisfaction and all while boosting in-game economy. There is really ZERO reason to prevent player's from gifting and trading ESO+ memberships. Furthermore, as most of you know Steam takes roughly 20% of all sales on their platform, and having the membership available in-game would create less purchases through Steam and thus less money lost for ZOS.

Let me know what you guys think of this idea in the comments below!

- Regal
AD: R E G A L/Halle Bear-y/Regal Implar/ l l l l DC: Enel/Blue Imp EP: Regal Pimp/Chuck Bear-y/Red Imp
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt they would do that.

Crown sales make the cost of a month of ESO Plus variable. If they compensated for that, it would be about 3000 Crowns per month with no monthly stipend of 1650 Crowns.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Regal_Imp
    Regal_Imp
    ✭✭✭
    It would probably have to be only a month's worth of ESO+ with no crown stipend, while the 3, 6 and 12 month packages would be available as always from the ESO website.

I agree crown sales would make this harder to justify, but honestly ZOS could put the price ~30% higher in the crown store and it would still be beneficial to people buying it with gold.
    AD: R E G A L/Halle Bear-y/Regal Implar/ l l l l DC: Enel/Blue Imp EP: Regal Pimp/Chuck Bear-y/Red Imp
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regal_Imp wrote: »

1) ZOS could charge an equivalent price for the membership in crowns, so they would not be losing any money from the sales.
    2) There are many people with in-game gold that would like to buy ESO+ but cannot justify spending real world money on it, furthermore, there are people who have no problem buying crowns with real money, and trading it for in-game gold, this would create a LARGER market for crowns bought with gold, beneficial to the community and to ZOS.
    3) In MMOs such as EVE online, the ability to purchase game memberships off of other players has SIGNIFICANTLY increased their game population and value (this is proof of concept).
    4) This would remove any argument of ESO+ "pay to win" since you can purchase a membership using gold.

My point is that allowing player's to gift ESO+ memberships would create an entire new niche for crown sales, increasing ZOS revenue, player satisfaction and all while boosting in-game economy. There is really ZERO reason to prevent player's from gifting and trading ESO+ memberships. Furthermore, as most of you know Steam takes roughly 20% of all sales on their platform, and having the membership available in-game would create less purchases through Steam and thus less money lost for ZOS.

- Regal

I think you have it backwards. If more people with gold (wanting crowns/sub) participated in cash to gold scheme, it would not necessarily make people with money (wanting gold) buy more crowns. They would simply have cheaper gold due to increase of supply and would need to buy actually fewer crowns to get the amount of gold necessary for their goals, unless they inflated their goals to match their spare money, but this spare money matching behaviour would make them equally unwilling to buy more crowns than before even if provided with some incentive, which is however not there.
    Furthermore, it would encourage people hitherto paying money to pay gold and it would be obviously very stupid of ZOS to trade sure sub money for chance that somebody down the line will buy more crowns to make up for that, which, as shown above, will likely not happen.
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Buying ESO+ with crowns just to get crowns back from buying ESO+?
    Wow
  • Regal_Imp
    Regal_Imp
    ✭✭✭
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    Regal_Imp wrote: »

- Regal

I think you have it backwards. If more people with gold (wanting crowns/sub) participated in cash to gold scheme, it would not necessarily make people with money (wanting gold) buy more crowns. They would simply have cheaper gold due to increase of supply and would need to buy actually fewer crowns to get the amount of gold necessary for their goals, unless they inflated their goals to match their spare money, but this spare money matching behaviour would make them equally unwilling to buy more crowns than before even if provided with some incentive, which is however not there.
    Furthermore, it would encourage people hitherto paying money to pay gold and it would be obviously very stupid of ZOS to trade sure sub money for chance that somebody down the line will buy more crowns to make up for that, which, as shown above, will likely not happen.

The more items you can buy with crowns, the more crowns will be bought. If you can buy subs with crowns, then everyone who wants to sub without paying IRL money would simply buy crowns with gold, and everyone who sells crowns for gold would just have more demand for crowns, thus increasing their own purchase of crowns to meet demand.
    Rake wrote: »
    Wow

In a reply I mentioned the ESO+ wouldn't come with crowns if bought through the crown store, and since you get a little over half the corwns needed to buy a sub from a sub stipend then you'd basically get 1 free month of sub (through eso+ crowns) for every 2 months you buy from the website with IRL money. Which is also a well known reward system (buy 10 sandwiches get the 11th free kind of deal)
  • Nutshotz
    Nutshotz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no issue selling my crowns but the conversion rate for crowns to gold is horrible. 150-200k gold for 1k crowns.

Don't get me wrong I'd like to see something like that for people who don't have ESO plus but before that happens they should rework ESO plus first
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nutshotz wrote: »
    I have no issue selling my crowns but the conversion rate for crowns to gold is horrible. 150-200k gold for 1k crowns.

Don't get me wrong I'd like to see something like that for people who don't have ESO plus but before that happens they should rework ESO plus first

Okay I'm still a n00b here, so please forgive my ignorance.

I can turn crowns into gold?!
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Psyonico
    Psyonico
    ✭✭✭

You can "sell" crowns to other players by "gifting" them crown store items for gold
    Edited by Psyonico on January 29, 2019 7:16PM
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Psyonico wrote: »

You can "sell" crowns to other players by "gifting" them crown store items for gold

Ah I see. Okay not worth bothering with lol. I don't trust people that much. :wink:

Thanks for the clarification. Thought I was missing something.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Puzzlenuts
    Puzzlenuts
    ✭✭✭
    Rake wrote: »
    Wow

Yes. It would be free ESO+ after you bought the first crowns to pay for the ESO+. If you used the crowns they give you for subbing
  • Nisekev
    Nisekev
    ✭✭✭
    I'd prefer them to add a proper gold-to-crowns exchange mechanic to save players from scammers.
  • wnights
    wnights
    ✭✭✭
    The whole point of ESO+ is for them to earn money. People who actually pay for ESO+ could sell the free crowns they get in exchange for in-game gold. That means someone woul be able to buy ESO+ without any additional transaction occuring ( no additional $$ spent to get the subscription). So no. It's a stupid idea from a business perspective
    Keirah Belmore - Dark elf Magblade