Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Difference between Maelstrom normal / veteran?

nihirisutou
nihirisutou
✭✭✭
So I just completed the arena for the first time, I am CP 240 - 45 something.

I didn't know you have to complete it once before you start veteran, or maybe I picked up the quest prior to level 50.

Either way since I completed the apparent normal mode at CP level, is there any major change in difficulty if I attempt once again now?
[PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Massive.

Vet is probably equivalent to doing normal naked with no passives or cp.......
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a big difficulty spike. Normal Maelstrom is good for learning the spawn points and the mechanics but it in no way prepares you for the difficulty of Veteran Maelstrom.

Enemies have more health and do more damage but all the mechanics stay the same.

"That's not so bad..."

VMA is kicking my butt. Enemies do lots more damage so you have to mitigate a lot more damage plus you have to really pay attention to priority targets that will mess up your day plus you have to do more damage to kill everything. There is very little margin for error so you really have to pay attention to what kills you and do it right the next time.

I highly recommend Joy_Division's guide: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/381682/joys-new-and-improved-guide-to-beating-maelstrom-arena
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normal is pretty much like any overland content, with the last boss being like a decently challenging world boss but with power sigils which is to say, not challenging. vMA is going to be some of the hardest game conentent you’ve ever played, on your first run through. It’s gets exponentially easier, but that first time is can feel like it’s totally impossible. Your experience will also vary depending on what class you play and gear available. For stam classes vicious ophidian makes a world of difference. For magicka it’s suposoed to be overall easier because shields and Destro ult, but I really prefer stamina sorc. With VO gear, crit surge and hurricane there’s just no stopping. Also keep in mind that even vMA was designed with CP300 in mind so you’re going to have a tough time. Not impossible just extra hard. Might want to try and get to cp500 at least just to save yourself the trouble unless you consider yourself extra good at this game.
    Edited by Vapirko on January 25, 2018 12:30AM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the hardest solo content in the game.

It does get better after the first complete.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 23, 2018 1:09AM
  • Ciovala
    Ciovala
    ✭✭✭
    I never finished normal (tried once at CP150, died on stage 3 and abandoned the quest). Came back at CP500 and went straight to the veteran version. The first clear took me a week (off and on), but the very next attempt just took me like 2 hours. You just need to get used to the mechanics, when the perfect time is to use your ultimate, which targets will pwn you, etc. Joy's guide (linked above) is ace.
    Looking for a mature and helpful social guild - play PvE, PvP, and like crafting.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TL:DR

In vet maelstrom mechanics kills you.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »

Pretty much. In Normal, you can learn the mechanics and make mistakes without dying.

In Veteran, death is your teacher.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Normal can be done "flawlessly" with random gear and random skills on your bar, just doing light and heavy attacks. Veteran is almost as hard as beating a veteran dungeon solo, with mobs having about the same health as normal dungeon ones, but with plenty of attacks and mechanics that will do 20K+ damage (one shot) if not blocked, dodged, or played properly. IMO there's really no point in doing normal unless you are leveling a character to 50 since it gives decent experience, but you'll learn nothing about veteran. For example on normal most characters can simply heal trough the poison in Vault of Umbrage that comes from ground spores and the archers, but on veteran it will kill you in 3s unless you are a sorcerer with a huge shield that can sprint to the pool until it drops him.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its the largest jump in difficulty in the game.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ever seen a chuck E cheese next to a strip club? About that level of difference.

Vet punishes you if you don't know the mechanics where normal doesn't.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 23, 2018 1:09AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vet is the single most punishing thing I've tried in the game. Arena 4 is kicking my butt.

And every round I beat is the sweetest victory I've ever earned in this game.

Truly no reward worth having comes without great effort.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Pretty much. In Normal, you can learn the mechanics and make mistakes without dying.

I'm a poor student, because 4 was also kicking my butt for the longest time. Video guides from other players are a godsend.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • beetleklee
    beetleklee
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first run on vet is always the hardest.
    For me, the first run through, the hardest were 4, 5, and 9. I used a pet MagSorc.
    6 and 7 were pretty difficult but mostly due to RNG, the mechanics were easy to deal with.
    1, 2, 3 and 8 are easy peasy.
    Stage 4 is supposed to be easy according to people, but I found it pretty tough the first run through. I knew to focus the little turret guys before they shielded up but sometimes on the phase where the boss has the green circle and you move with him, I didn't see some of the turrets spawn on the other side despite looking out for them.
    Stage 5 took me a few hours over 2 days. The archer and ice mage adds were the worst. They do so much damage!
    Stage 9 final boss took me a few hours over 3 days and was the most frustrating. Mostly due to Crem Guards. The mechanics weren't hard. But man I hate the Crem Guards. I had no idea having a Negate ult would cause them to not breath fire, next time I'll keep that in mind. I mostly saved my destro ults for those ****s lol.
    It was worth it, got the vMA bow.

I just finished my 2nd run last night, this time with MagDK. It was much faster this time around, and easier (but by no means easy)
    This time stage 5 took 20 minutes. Having wings on MagDK helped even better deal with the ranged archers and mages when I didn't have defensive sigil. The boss burn took much quicker because my MagDK has strong DoTs and quicker ult gen.
    I did stages 1-8 in one night. I got to the final boss on stage 9 but due to having bad lag, I died a lot and decided to call it quits for the night. Went back the next day, it was still the hardest stage but I beat it and this time the RNG gods were not with me, got the vMA axe and sword...

Not sure if I should continue farming it with MagDK/MagSorc or try with my StamDK. I'm a little scared not having a shield, haha. My StamDK has the best deeps though.

Definitely push through it. It will make you a better player and maybe give you that rockin bow or destro staff.
    PC NA
    CP 690

EP Dunmer MagDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer MagSorc Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Argonian DK Tank Level 50, Boethiah's Scythe
    EP Breton Templar Healer Level 50
    EP Khajiit StamDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer Magblade Level 50, Assistant Alienist
    EP Argonian Stamden Level 50, Lady of Misrule (pvp)
    EP Dunmer Stamblade Level 50
    DC Redguard Stamplar
    AD Altmer Magwarden Healer

vMA, vDSA, vSO HM, vHRC HM, vAA, vAS+1, vMoL
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 23, 2018 1:12AM
  • Partomax
    Partomax
    ✭✭✭
    I've done delves harder than normal maelstrom arena. vMA is hell the first few runs but if you have decent damage and survivability it gets easier and easier with experience
    PC/EU - This is a signature
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    driosketch wrote: »

I'm a poor student, because 4 was also kicking my butt for the longest time. Video guides from other players are a godsend.

Everyone has a unique play style just like everyone has a unique fingerprint. So everyone has a unique Achille's heel. There is no shame in having difficulty on a particular stage. Something else that's easy for you is difficult for someone else. I guarantee it.

Fingerprints aren't unique though. It's highly unlikely that two people share the same fingerprints yes, but there's actually no scientific basis for fingerprints being 100% unique like, say, DNA.

Also before something is said about snowflakes it was disproven that no two snowflakes are alike in 1988
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a really odd thing to necro this thread from January for, just saying.

Anyway, good luck to anyone attempting VMA for the first time during the Orsinium event! And good luck to everyone when it comes to RNG on the weapons you want!
  • tcrite
    tcrite
    Soul Shriven
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    Ever seen a chuck E cheese next to a strip club? About that level of difference.

Vet punishes you if you don't know the mechanics where normal doesn't.

I know this is old, but this made my day. Lmao🤣😂🤣😂🤣
  • Inklings
    Inklings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I get asked this in stream I always answer. Normal isn't so much of a learning curve as it is a false hope.
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Normal you could play naked and watching Netflix, vet is a entirely different kettle of fish.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Aideian
    Aideian
    ✭✭✭
    If you have the right sets and decent cp and know the mechanics its a walk in the park, the mechanics are the hardest part of vet maelstrom, normal maelstrom is basically for you to learn them and once you get them down you'll be fine you won't even need gold gear but gold weapons would definitely help. But yeah to answer your question its not even close the same difficulty.
    Edited by Aideian on December 9, 2018 11:45PM
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All these posts are correct, but are lacking in small details.

stage 1 basically the same but the split happens much faster and the adds heal boss
    stage 2 blades themselves can murk you
    stage 5 ice breaks much faster, archers can 1 bang you
    stage 6 if you don't cleanse the big spider thing she enrages and murks you
    stage 7 you can't bash the scream and have to sit in the bubble of the mage, sometimes the mushrooms pop in that bubble and its ggwp
    stage 8 crystals take a lot more damage and fix themselves much faster
    stage 9 crematorium bosses will murk you, if you let a npc get the gold ghosts you are murked, touching a white ghost is basically a death.

Along with the difficulty of enemies ramped up about 10x and their health and resistances by like 100%, there are mechanics that you may not have even seen on normal depending on your dps output
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, just something like the difference between a gentle warm shower and a water canon on an anti-riot truck.
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chuck e actually makes it rain tickets fwiw.

I found normal to be useless for clearing vma. I didn't know a single mechanic that can be passed with damage. In normal, I beat the engine guardian without getting in the green circle. I never got under the shield in round 6 and I just killed the spiderlings on round 7.

Hopefully I'm not the norm on this one, but I wish they would have really locked up progression on all the rounds, the way they did on 8. You have to take down the pillars to move on, there's no just plowing through it.

It's not perfect but there's not a lot like vma in rpgs in my experience. It's pretty awesome. I wish we'd see a new solo arena in the next chapter, but I doubt we'll ever have another piece if endgame gear available to solo players.
  • tcrite
    tcrite
    Soul Shriven
    Been stuck on stage 5 for about 2 mos....haven't played in about a month for fear of breaking my PC...once got close to defeating the boss but took too long and last platform was destroyed, and so was I🤬🤬🤬🤬
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    I was struggling with this a lot too.

It's a L2P issue.

Start the boss fight on the first platform (the one where you spawn into the arena) , calmly kill the adds and the troll and after burn the boss down a bit.

Repeat with the second platform.

Third platform, grab the damage sigil and throw your ultimate on the boss whilst burning it down. (it's useful to end on the platform with the damage sigil.)

This made it very doable for me.

[PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!