Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

At what rates do crafting writs scale with level?

Lifeseeker128
Lifeseeker128
Soul Shriven
I thought that through searching Google I could find some form of "crafting writ rewards calculator," but I searched high and low with no signs of the detailed data I seek. It's apparent that I may have to program such a calculator myself, but I need help with some specifics.

What I'm looking for right now is the rate at which each crafting writ quest's gold reward scales with a character's current level. I'm not concerned with each writ's other rewards at this time, and I already know that crafting skill level is not a factor for the gold amount, nor is the quality of material being asked for in the writs (iron versus steel etc). As I've been playing for a while and would rather not start one of my characters over from scratch to do more analysis, I will extend my analysis questions to you, the official ESO community forum.

The formula I have in mind so far is this: base gold + character level * scalar gold = rewarded gold. There may be other factors involved, and I'd like to know them as well. At this time, the variables for this formula are unknown to me other than character level, and I've very little idea of if this formula is correct or not. The scalar gold may as well be a simple list of values to relate to current character level with no true multiplicative scale to it, but I simply wouldn't know.

I'm looking for the scalar number (or another mathematical metric including randomization) for the gold reward that's in direct relation to character level, nothing more, and this is independent of other factors that do affect the gold like the 1% reward boost for Imperials. If there's a resource on the internet which illuminates this mystery at least in part, feel free to share it here. Otherwise, feel free to state your own observations of the gold amount in relation to character level.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I posted a discussion like this on the Steam Community forums for the game, but had no luck getting responses there.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafters aren’t usually doing writs for the gold ... it’s for the non-gold rewards or crafting inspiration to level the skill in the craft. ;)

If you’re micromanaging the meager amount of gold you get for those rewards, well, that’s the player’s choice I suppose.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on January 12, 2019 12:56AM
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crafting writs are tied to how many points you have into the first skill.

So until you put 1 point into woodworking, you'll only have to make stuff from maple and the rewards will be based on that. When you put your next one in so it's 1/10, you'll then use beech and rewards scale up.

I think that's how it works anyway. Nothing to do with level or even your crafting level (although you need to level it up to put a skillpoint into the next tier).

If not, then it probably doesn't go up at all. It may just give the same amount regardless of level, crafting level or tier of writing required. It's not much gold anyway. Like 500 per maybe?
    Edited by Brrrofski on January 12, 2019 1:18AM
  • Lifeseeker128
    Lifeseeker128
    Soul Shriven
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Crafting writs are tied to how many points you have into the first skill.

So until you put 1 point into woodworking, you'll only have to make stuff from maple and the rewards will be based on that. When you put your next one in so it's 1/10, you'll then use beech and rewards scale up.

I think that's how it works anyway. Nothing to do with level or even your crafting level (although you need to level it up to put a skillpoint into the next tier).

If not, then it probably doesn't go up at all. It may just give the same amount regardless of level, crafting level or tier of writing required. It's not much gold anyway. Like 500 per maybe?

First, it's been proven by me and several people online that the gold reward from normal writs at least scales with a character's level to a maximum of 664 or so per normal writ at level 50 (cp doesn't apply, unfortunately). Several of my max-level characters make modest sums from their crafting dailies while my others at sub-20 make significantly less.

Second, the type of material used to complete the writ has no bearing on that same reward; although, it does have an effect on the ability to acquire master writs at the maximum tier of crafting proficiency. Keep your skill points handy for other stuff if you don't want master writs or the ability to craft end-game equipment.

Third, each writ by itself doesn't provide much gold, sure, but the combination of all six or seven of the writs done daily and that combined with all 8-15 character slots on a player's account add up over time. Although, I'm the type to choose $20 given to me daily over $200 given weekly. It's about the steady progress toward a goal for me, not the ending amounts.

Besides, with addons like Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter and others, the process is further streamlined, and if one simply pre-crafts all the products to deliver say for a week in advance (storing it in the bags of the characters who crafted them if necessary), the writs are practically done for that whole week for that character or set of characters on an account.

So, if one does all their crafting writs on all their characters (of variable levels) there's an average profit of 3-4k gold per character per day. If one has all the minimum 8 character slots filled with writ-ready characters (all certified for the practice and having plenty of materials in the bank or their craft bag), the average comes to 24-32k gold per day. If a player pre-crafts all the products needed to complete those writs for say three days (one conservative writ cycle covering all the possible equipment products to deliver), that's three days worth of writs already done on all 8 of those characters, resulting in 72-96k of easy gold earned as the player does other stuff like exploration, quests, and trading over the course of those three days.

But how much time does this take? I timed myself going through my daily crafting circuit, and 3-4 minutes per character seemed to be the average when I wasn't pre-crafting any of the equipment or enchantments. Just the alchemy and provisioning were pre-crafted. That's roughly 24-32 minutes total for 8 characters, but I actually use 15 for a total of about 45-60 minutes. So, for about an hour a day, I earn around 45-60k gold, and this isn't even when I pre-craft every item beforehand.

If you don't care about earning gold in the game, that's fine, but if you do, crafting writs are a steady source to tap. I just want to find out what the true rate of scaling is for the gold amounts, not to debate "better" ways of making money in the game.
    Edited by Lifeseeker128 on January 12, 2019 7:27AM
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    Ok, apparently I need to answer this, because people are taking it in the wrong direction. Yes, the gold from crafting writs does scale with level, and that seems to be every 10 normal character levels. I still do have a few characters doing lower level crafting writs, so I'm aware of the need to pay attention to this (though the only characters out of my 15 who are character level under 50 are at 45 and 47 respectively, so getting almost max gold from them). These rewards *are based on character level, rather than crafting level*. The gold's decent enough, and since I have used some of my skill points from leveling (without really progressing those characters, they're only doing crafting writs at this point) to acquire certain perks, I use them because they're cheap to do, get me some decent gold at very little time involvement, and I often get decent mats back. So, it's about every 10 character levels that the gold goes up (and I'm assuming this is true of most types of quests, honestly). Hopefully this helps.

@Alassirana
  • Lifeseeker128
    Lifeseeker128
    Soul Shriven
    Well... I did some number-crunching on my characters today. All four of my max level characters get 664 gold from each of their writs, not surprising. What is surprising is that my lower level characters (the first ones I tested on were 40) appeared to be getting less money at 8.6 gold per level they lacked. I expected the scalar amount to be non-decimal.

I tested this number with several other levels: 24, 25, 17, and 16. The results scaled down much as I expected both in the game and my calculations. But, what is the base gold amount? I did the math on that too. From 664 at level 50, I calculated that at level 6 (the supposed first level which one can get certified for writs) there's a reward of roughly 285.6 gold... but that's not a whole number. Programmers don't typically use decimal values as base amounts for currency in games. Also, I don't have any characters that low in level anymore nor the know-how to dump the relevant data directly from the code to test what the actual base amount is.

So, I tried predicting some arbitrary level of one of my lesser used characters, one at level 21 (a level I didn't previously test). Assuming that the gold amount would be rounded to the nearest coin, I set the base amount to 286. Thus, 286 + 8.6 * (21 - 6) = 415 and I found that my level 21 character got that same amount of gold I calculated from each of his writs today.

What would happen if we tried to predict level 50's gold reward with this scalar? Well, 286 + 8.6 * (50 - 6) = 664.4. When rounded to the nearest coin, the final amount is 664, and that's exactly the amount I get on my max level characters per writ. This is by no means a definitive confirmation of the scalar I calculated, but so far, it has worked well.

So, my findings are like this: 8.6 gold is earned from writs for each character level gained (my characters' crafting skills were all very arbitrary values to each other, including the passives taken), decimal gold amounts are rounded to the nearest coin just before it's given to the player, and the amount of gold received goes up for each level gained, not every ten levels. Although, every ten levels would see an increase in the gold amount given by 86, a much more significant amount than 8.6 gold (or 9 gold not yet rounded up) per level.

These data points might not be entirely accurate for everybody, but they're what I managed to observe personally on the game's Steam version, using an account with ESO Plus, and playing on the US mega server. Other regions/servers running the game (say on the EU server or on consoles) may have different metrics to consider.

Let me know what you think of my findings so far, and if any of your numbers conflict with mine on the same version and region/server I play, I'll see if there's another angle to consider this topic from. Thank you for reading.
    Edited by Lifeseeker128 on January 13, 2019 4:02AM
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    that actually seems to be pretty close to what I saw. I haven't had a jump between 10 levels in months, so it's hard to remember if they did it every level, or every 10...I think I was noticing the amount change every 10, but I could very well be mistaken. Still, it's worth it if you can pull it off easily (which I can right now).

@Alassirana
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy oblivion do any of you even craft? The only thing that determines how much gold you get is character level 1-50. You get about 100 gold more each level. With 8 leveled characters, once you get them set up. you can make 36-40k in about 30-45 minutes. It does take some time initially and you'll probably have to figure out a balance along the way but it's pretty easy money in the long run.

I'd recommend maxing out all crafts on 1-2 characters. When you do it on 3 or more you'll start having issues with running out of the high level (ruby red) mats. Otherwise leave your alts at 1/10 (maple, iron, jute diet) and just level their crafting skills by deconstructing all the junk you find with your main. The intricate stuff you get from the daily rewards further speeds up the process. Getting skills to 50 will increase master writ drops.
  • Lifeseeker128
    Lifeseeker128
    Soul Shriven
    Ri_Khan wrote: »
    Holy oblivion do any of you even craft? The only thing that determines how much gold you get is character level 1-50. You get about 100 gold more each level. With 8 leveled characters, once you get them set up. you can make 36-40k in about 30-45 minutes. It does take some time initially and you'll probably have to figure out a balance along the way but it's pretty easy money in the long run.

I'd recommend maxing out all crafts on 1-2 characters. When you do it on 3 or more you'll start having issues with running out of the high level (ruby red) mats. Otherwise leave your alts at 1/10 (maple, iron, jute diet) and just level their crafting skills by deconstructing all the junk you find with your main. The intricate stuff you get from the daily rewards further speeds up the process. Getting skills to 50 will increase master writ drops.

All good tips, but as I previously stated from personal testing, one of the first statements of your post aren't entirely the case for me (as detailed in my second post of the thread). 100 gold per level is a pretty gross overstatement, but the rewards are still worthwhile at 8.6 gold per level per character. There's no real need to over-sell the use of crafting writs. :)

8.6 gold coins times 8 characters come out to 68.8 gold per day from just one writ for gaining one level on each character. And if one scaled at up to the full 6 or 7 writs, it would be 412.8 for 6 writs daily and 481.6 for 7; so, I'm having difficulties determining where you get that 100 gold value from. Perhaps you're also factoring the box rewards into your calculations? I was only calculating out the leveled gold, but perhaps some additional factoring for the full rewards on average may be in order.

As to the point about character level 1-50, can a character certify for writs earlier than level 6? Or is it that the scalar gets applied before that level whether or not the character is certified? I know that leveled gold applies to more than just crafting writs. So does the same scalar apply to other gold rewards from quests? This may be worth some additional testing later.
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All good tips, but as I previously stated from personal testing, one of the first statements of your post aren't entirely the case for me (as detailed in my second post of the thread). 100 gold per level is a pretty gross overstatement, but the rewards are still worthwhile at 8.6 gold per level per character. There's no real need to over-sell the use of crafting writs. :)

Sorry didn't specify that the +100 gold per level increase is for the over-all daily take from woodworking, clothing blacksmithing, alchemy, provisioning and enchanting writs.
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it is not a simple linear relationship. Did some quick tests on my lowbie from level 8 to 11 with the following results (this is with ESO+).
    • Lvl 8 = 250 gp
    • Lvl 9 = 268 gp
    • Lvl 10 = 286 gp
    • Lvl 11 = 303 gp

With a value of 664 at level +50 and your value of 415 at level 21 (assuming that is with ESO+, if not it changes the following formula somewhat) we can estimate the values with one of 2 formula:
    1. Value = pow(Level, 0.5259834548) * 84.60379661
    2. Value = 140.757475 + 15.15603227 * Level - 0.09390758021 * pow(Level, 2)

Note that neither of these is exact so we either need more data at other levels to fill in the blanks and get a better estimate or perhaps the values are table based and not formula based.

For other writ data you can see my summary Google Sheet from Dragon Bones time. It has the links to the raw data for all writs that UESP has logged so you can get more recent values from their including the estimated values for PC-NA or PC-EU.

Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm sure that someone out there has figured out the gold reward for quests at each level. Basically, the gold reward for crafting writs is the same gold reward you would get for other major quests at your character's level, so 604 at max level (664 with ESO+).

I've noticed that minor quests reward 302 gold (332 w/ESO+), which is the same gold reward I get for doing Master Writs at max character level.

I also noticed that regular crafting writs reward less XP than major quests do, but the same gold, while Master Writs reward the minor quest gold reward but major quest XP.

There may be other tiers of quests that offer less gold, but I don't always pay attention to the gold rewards. However, at max level (CP 160+) I've noticed that major questlines usually reward 664 gold (ESO+) and minor ones reward 332 gold (ESO+). Regular crafting writs give 664 gold (ESO+) while Master Writs reward 332 gold (ESO+).

I mention this only in that it might help you to just search for a formula for the gold that is rewarded for quests, since crafting writs follow this same formula.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    I'm sure that someone out there has figured out the gold reward for quests at each level. Basically, the gold reward for crafting writs is the same gold reward you would get for other major quests at your character's level, so 604 at max level (664 with ESO+).

I've noticed that minor quests reward 302 gold (332 w/ESO+), which is the same gold reward I get for doing Master Writs at max character level.

I also noticed that regular crafting writs reward less XP than major quests do, but the same gold, while Master Writs reward the minor quest gold reward but major quest XP.

There may be other tiers of quests that offer less gold, but I don't always pay attention to the gold rewards. However, at max level (CP 160+) I've noticed that major questlines usually reward 664 gold (ESO+) and minor ones reward 332 gold (ESO+). Regular crafting writs give 664 gold (ESO+) while Master Writs reward 332 gold (ESO+).

I mention this only in that it might help you to just search for a formula for the gold that is rewarded for quests, since crafting writs follow this same formula.

Worth noting regarding the master writs: Consumable master writs (provisioning/alchemy/enchanting) award less xp than the material-based master writs.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

Worth noting regarding the master writs: Consumable master writs (provisioning/alchemy/enchanting) award less xp than the material-based master writs.

Yes! Forgot to mention that. I really didn't know that until another forum member posted some formulas on it - to assist people trying to get as much XP as possible during the Witches Festival (the first fall event offering double XP). I'm sure the XP formula overall is more complicated than the gold reward.
  • Lifeseeker128
    Lifeseeker128
    Soul Shriven
    Very good data. :) Keep up the good work, and I'll test these new formula out on my characters when I have more time. The connection to other quests makes the most sense to me, and having a table-based gold reward would as well, if a little disappointing.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

Yes! Forgot to mention that. I really didn't know that until another forum member posted some formulas on it - to assist people trying to get as much XP as possible during the Witches Festival (the first fall event offering double XP). I'm sure the XP formula overall is more complicated than the gold reward.

Not related to an event per say, but I have been hoarding all my alchemy master writs to use when I create my Necromancer. Alchemy is, by far, the easiest/cheapest route to be able to do master writs on a new character. I plan to gather just enough skill points to level up the first passive and passive that helps you create more potions/poisons. Level alchemy to 50, then pop a 150% xp scroll and turn in all my alchemy writs on a brand new character. Should be able to knock out quite a few levels pretty quickly.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The daily crafting writs gold reward formula seems to follow the rightmost column of this list:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Gold

Mind, that ESO+ players get +10% gold!
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    So, for about an hour a day, I earn around 45-60k gold, and this isn't even when I pre-craft every item beforehand.

Yes, your calculations are correct (though you do need to account for the time to pre-craft equipment; it may double your overall time estimate), but the more important part of what you get from crafting is the non-gold rewards. On 8 toons, every day (on average) you will get a couple each of tempers, dwax, kutas, rosin, chromium plate. These add up. And master writs are also important sources of gold eventually.
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)
  • Lifeseeker128
    Lifeseeker128
    Soul Shriven
    I think we just about explored all there is to say about this topic. Watchdog mentioned a very good list from uesp to help calculate the leveled gold at least in list form. It corresponds well with my previously calculated data, too. It dawns on me that I should have done more research with uesp to begin with as the page for "Gold" turns up the results I've been looking for all along. Thank you, Watchdog.