Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Will someone eventually save the MAC community ?

karpok
karpok
✭✭✭
So Murkmire has been released almost 2 months ago and introduced major issues for MAC players.

It started with huge fps issues that made the game unplayable. There have been a couple of patch since then but they did not really solve the issue. On the contrary they introduced several new bugs:
  • Drop Windowed Full Screen Mode
  • Graphical Glitches
  • Crashes then freezes at quit
  • Random crashes while in game

People keeps complaining here but the last official feedback from the devs is already 1-month old (ZOS_AlexTardif on Nov 21st : https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/441796/fps-problem/p17)

Ok the problem may be complicated to solve, but then it would be worth communicating about it. We got patches every 1-2 weeks and the committed changes should be known in advance (otherwise it would explain a lot the situation and won't be good news for the future).

So can we expect some improvement before the end of the year or should we just stop playing until a decent major patch in the coming month ?
Is ZoS still respecting his player base ? And what would prevent the other community (PC, console) to undergo the same nightmares with next-patches ?
--
Soumar, Aldmeri Sorcer
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    karpok wrote: »
    And what would prevent the other community (PC, console) to undergo the same nightmares with next-patches ?

I don't think Microsoft or Sony would be willing to expunge a perfectly workable API from their system in order to trap developers in their walled garden. Microsoft actually threatened to do so with vista but they decided to pay attention to the backlash and kept allowing opengl. It did probably help that vista was the single worst thing to come out of Microsoft.
  • karpok
    karpok
    ✭✭✭
    This is exactly what Microsoft did with Direct X a couple of years ago.

Anyway this was not point. Apple has not dropped OpenGL yet. It has announced it will too in one year. The issue here is quality testing of released update. Introducing a major bug each update is what we are having for 2 months now. This is not acceptable.

And if you jump out of pure-MAC problem we can also mention the dungeon-finder bug that ruined the last in-game event. So yes such issues can also reach PC and consoles. But what used to be punctual issues are starting to become normality. And it would be good to have an official answer to this game and community is not just dying slowly.
    --
    Soumar, Aldmeri Sorcer
  • zarnon_akoni
    zarnon_akoni
    ✭✭✭
    Considering support told me to play on a Windows machine and not a Mac just today they clearly don't give a damn about this community anymore.
  • Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    The older Intel graphics chipsets that lost support on Mac with the switch to Vulkan/Metal are the same chipsets that lost support on PC two years ago with the switch to DirectX 11.

I can't imagine why the transition was made so abrupt though, with no fallback, even though it came later than PC. On Windows there was up to 3 different renderers at one point (opengl, dx9, dx11), configurable in usersettings.txt.
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    Considering support told me to play on a Windows machine and not a Mac just today they clearly don't give a damn about this community anymore.

Did they actually say "You should just play on a PC" or did they say something like "Sorry but if current Mac performance isn't good enough you'll have to either wait on a fix or just play on PC"? The first statement is callous and the second statement is just the objective reality at the time.
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have said this before on other forums, but I could ALMOST live with the issues we all face as Mac players - paying customers, I should say - if someone, somewhere, did us the courtesy of communicating what the hell is going on.

But they don't.

No communication beyond "raise a ticket" - which I can tell you is utterly pointless.