The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Autumn's Gate with Redguard Furnishings? Opinions please!

LurgidBean
LurgidBean
✭✭✭✭
I am super excited to buy my first house and I fell in love with the scenery at Autumn's Gate!
The furniture I've gathered together (value shopping with no house in mind) is mostly a mix of Redguard w/ Khajiit accents. I'm afraid that these items will look too small in the Nord house.
60k is a lot for me and I don't want to end up regretting it.
I'd love Twin Arches if it wasn't for the monochrome sand storms.

I'm posting pictures of my furniture collection (forgive the messiness, the pile kept growing!) to give you an idea of what I have to work with. I have more candles/bowls/paintings/accessories to fill in.
What do you think?
Will the proportions of the bed, couches, vanity etc look ok or will the furniture be overwhelmed?

Thanks for your opinion!

cp9hbjcdmf3l.jpg
b7kgw897axbh.jpg

Xbox NA/EU
"Once I misplaced an entire roast chicken, so this doesn't surprise me."
  • MarrazzMist
    MarrazzMist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful collection! Autumn’s gate is quite small, I think you need to be creative to fit all this in there.

Visually, perfect match!
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too love Autumn's Gate. I would do RG in there as well, though the sizes of things might be problematic as @MarrazzMist noted.

I'm an autumn and winter person IRL. Even my Redguards like both seasons (heh.... of course they do - in a way, they're ME, after all!)
  • krisor67_ESO
    krisor67_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    LurgidBean wrote: »
    I am super excited to buy my first house and I fell in love with the scenery at Autumn's Gate!
    The furniture I've gathered together (value shopping with no house in mind) is mostly a mix of Redguard w/ Khajiit accents. I'm afraid that these items will look too small in the Nord house.
    60k is a lot for me and I don't want to end up regretting it.
    I'd love Twin Arches if it wasn't for the monochrome sand storms.

I'm posting pictures of my furniture collection (forgive the messiness, the pile kept growing!) to give you an idea of what I have to work with. I have more candles/bowls/paintings/accessories to fill in.
    What do you think?
    Will the proportions of the bed, couches, vanity etc look ok or will the furniture be overwhelmed?

Thanks for your opinion!

cp9hbjcdmf3l.jpg
    b7kgw897axbh.jpg

I think that furniture will do nicely in there, as @MarrazzMist said, it might be tough to get it all in there. That is half the fun of decorating though, making it work. Have fun and enjoy.
    DPS player, not big on PVP but will do it. Love the homestead part of the game, spend a lot of time decorating places.
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so I guess I really wanted it since all it took was 2 positive comments, thanks!
    Biting the bullet and putting down the $$! I hope the paperwork doesn't take too long...

@Sylvermynx I live in a beautiful desert IRL; that may be why though I like it, Twin Arches is a tiny bit "meh" for me compared to AG. Plus, I haven't seen trees changing color in 6+ years. Love it!

@MarrazzMist Thanks! All of it is from guild stores, as I haven't tackled crafting yet (except for research/decon). I like some clutter so I hope I have enough space inside and out!

...I may have a bit of a furniture/decor buying habit (one that I broke IRL!).
    I've decorated St. Delyn's, and I have two more "scenes" of furniture staged for ???
    I'm sure this won't be my last ESO home. :)

The picture doesn't even show my art and ivory collection, or the 8 Murkmire Lurking Lizard, Worn rugs, or the 16 Argonian Bowls, Bordered, and wayyyyy too many lights acquired/purchased during New Life. I'm a sucker for a good deal.
    Xbox NA/EU
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think the slightly chunkier Redguard stuff works really well in the Nord houses.

So, the Grand Inlaid Redguard table, for example:

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/redguard-table-grand-inlaid/

I think the wood colour also goes better with the woodwork in the Nord houses than the other large Redguard table you have there.

Anything too delicate, or spindly, can look a bit twee in there, if I'm honest.

It's a chunky architecture style, so it needs at least moderately chunky furniture.

In terms of size, the large table definitely fits - I have it there myself.

Bed should also fit, even though it's a bit wider than the Nord ones.

As will the sofas and coffee table.

End tables will also fit, but might make it feel a bit crowded.

The large paintings won't fit.

Between the windows and the woodwork there isn't a lot of wall space.

You can't even fit a Nord Wardrobe in there - had to use a Redguard one.

Haven't tried, but you could probably put the vanity in front of a window?

Here's a few pics of my Autumn's Gate, so you can get a better idea of what will fit where:

nvq564bl5bn4.png

gfn9cpaegqzb.png

qs40u8zr96fb.png

bilh24xasmol.png

jttb42o6tlgx.png
    Edited by Tigerseye on January 13, 2019 5:08AM
  • Incognitius
    Incognitius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience Redguard fits really well with Autumn's Gate. And with a bit of creativity, you can even fit the pictures there.

tumblr_phayanX5FI1xydegjo3_1280.png
    tumblr_phayanX5FI1xydegjo4_1280.png

Not a fan of the stone floor in Autumn's Gate so I cover it with the rug. It will make your furnishings stand out better as well.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Well (although it all looks very nice) they, technically, still don't fit...

Guess if you were prepared to take a chainsaw to a painting, you could make it fit anywhere?
    Edited by Tigerseye on January 13, 2019 5:01PM
  • Incognitius
    Incognitius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

Guess if you were prepared to take a chainsaw to a painting, you could make it fit anywhere?

It's what they did with Rembrandt's Night Watch:
    "In 1715, upon its removal from the Kloveniersdoelen to the Amsterdam Town Hall, the painting was trimmed on all four sides. This was done, presumably, to fit the painting between two columns and was a common practice before the 19th century. "

;)

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

It's what they did with Rembrandt's Night Watch:
    "In 1715, upon its removal from the Kloveniersdoelen to the Amsterdam Town Hall, the painting was trimmed on all four sides. This was done, presumably, to fit the painting between two columns and was a common practice before the 19th century. "

;)

Yeah, I've heard about that - I try not to think about it. xD

The horror...
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LurgidBean - I live in the desert southwest, but at 7k feet we get all four seasons. When we lived in Vegas, I really didn't appreciate it being warm and rather dry all the time.... SO not my thing. Right now, we have what's left of around 30 inches of snow since Thanksgiving, and I'm hoping for more!
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think you're furniture collection will go very well in any home. I have always felt that a variety of furniture types adds colour and a cosy feeling to homes. Having an eclectic mix will distinguish your own creation from a copy/paste vanilla home.
    Autumns Gate is a great choice. Don't forget the option to build up for a view. See below
    https://youtu.be/RepwuahidtI
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Autumn's Gate works great with a variety of themes. This is what I did with it.

dysrwe3.jpg

CNdcs9b.jpg

dFdTbkf.jpg

j2e1Gp0.jpg

VsU3RXV.jpg

vmSGx0e.jpg

KnimrBb.jpg

nje25EL.jpg
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Tigerseye
    Such good advice. Thanks!. My big worry was that things weren't clunky/big enough.
    I am disappointed by some of the "fits" of the items I have. I'm also on console and tiny ticks can change things! However, I am looking forward for an excuse to buy more, and more bulky stuff.
    Your home looks so cozy. I was avoiding/covering the windows but I like how you use them.

@Incognitius
    I love the use of the Alinor structures to make it seem more "loft-like" and your color palate. I think I might have seen pics of this when I searched the forums before. I really really love the dropped fireplace. Maybe when I have the mats for the floors...

@Tigerseye & @Incognitius thanks for classing up my thread with some authentic art history! :)

@Sylvermynx I'm in the SW too. I've been lurking forums for awhile, I remember you describing your remoteness once in a thread and thinking it sounded great! lol

@Zypheran Once I knew I wanted a home, I also knew that I could not buy it furnished. Like buying a staged home...very nice, but no personality!
    I'm pretty new to home building, but seeing images of the "view" from above Autumn's Gate made me excited for possibilites, if I ever get there!

@Kargen27 Wow! That home looks so full and lived in! Do you have ESO BNB? ;)
    The DB window & wedding curtains is pretty sexy! I wanted to buy the craft bag furnishing but didn't know what to do with it, and I love you use of it. You've also given me a lot of ideas!

My thoughts - I am a little frustrated with the sizes of items, as I feared. I can see how more "bulky" furnishings would look better.
    I was going to post my "in progress" pics but WOW everyone has something so beautiful that my place looks so basic. I've only had a day to play with it though.
    Thanks so much for all your pictures, I have a lot to aspire to!

My fave thing about housing is that when I just don't have the mindframe, stamina or magicka for questing anymore (still a novice!) or grinding for $$ to support my guild-trader habits...I can just go chill and move a pixel painting 150 times. :)

I think I'm going to buy the Flaming Nix with my crowns next just so I have an outlet for an idea that might not work here!
    Thanks again for you all of your responses. :)
    Edited by LurgidBean on January 16, 2019 6:49AM
    Xbox NA/EU
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You should definitely post your house here - it's not a competition and I bet it looks great, anyway.

I know my houses aren't anything spectacular.

I try to make them look nice and place everything carefully (sometimes too carefully!), but I do them all on live (not on the PTR), so I can't use loads of stuff not available in-game, in most of them.

It would cost too much.

I also try to fill them fairly evenly and am eternally challenged by the furnishing limit.

So, I don't build, because I want a complete-looking house and I know there just aren't the slots to both build and furnish properly, inside and out, in most houses.

In fact, there often aren't the slots to furnish properly inside, or outside; let alone both (even without building).

I, also, don't use effects, or anything.

Apart from a bit of snow at Old Mistveil, but I haven't posted pics of that.

It's great seeing the complex designs, but this sub-forum should have more activity.

Everyone should feel free to post their houses here, if they took the time to make them nice - they don't all have to be works of art. :smile: