Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

QQ - How do you engage/use a mic in-game?

DeathStalker_X
DeathStalker_X
✭✭✭
Yeah, I know - a total n00b question. I don't really group much, and have only teamed with another player a couple of times, but I saw another thread mentioning using a mic. I thought that could be pretty interesting, but have no idea how to configure or use that in-game.

Any assistance would be appreciated :)
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you on PC, Xbox or PS4?

The answer is different for all 3 because consoles have voice chat built into the game (but how the mic is set up is different for each machine) and on PC there is no voice chat in-game so you have to use a 3rd party program like Discord or Teamspeak.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, some how zos skipped pc voice chat. Add a build in chat save a lot time for ppl.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are on PC, install teamspeak and discord. You'll be covered for 99 percent of voice comms, until you get into that weird group that wants you to join their ventrillo server.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • DeathStalker_X
    DeathStalker_X
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm on a PC. Tried both of those programs when playing Path Of Exile and had terrible results :( No game-dedicated servers, just 3rd party group servers.

Are there established and reputable servers for the game on TeamSpeak? (or Discord, if I have to)?

Thanks!

FWIW, I find it pretty out & out STUPID for ZOS to ignore chat on PC. No excuses there, epic fail!
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm on a PC. Tried both of those programs when playing Path Of Exile and had terrible results :( No game-dedicated servers, just 3rd party group servers.

Are there established and reputable servers for the game on TeamSpeak? (or Discord, if I have to)?

Thanks!

FWIW, I find it pretty out & out STUPID for ZOS to ignore chat on PC. No excuses there, epic fail!

They didn't ignore it on PC. It was not included because there are other options and most of the PC community would rather use those options rather than be subjected to 12 year olds spamming in game voice.

There are no game sponsored TS or Discord servers. Generally you use TS and Discord to join your guild's voice server for group activities. Some guilds have people that hang out in there and chat all the time. Depends on the guild.

Both are free for you to use to join guild/group servers. You just need to download and install it (Discord has a Web based way to join servers as well).

Servers: In Discord, you can make your own server for free. In TS you need to rent a server from a server company for others to join.

Edited by Katahdin on January 14, 2019 2:33PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • DeathStalker_X
    DeathStalker_X
    ✭✭✭
    And if I'm not part of a guild/group?
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you are on PC, install teamspeak and discord. You'll be covered for 99 percent of voice comms, until you get into that weird group that wants you to join their ventrillo server.

Omg I got this one pal whose son talked the guy into using vent and he WON’T disc. He was the first max cp guy me and my pals met when we were REALLY noobs (like just reaching level 50).

He helped us out so much and is a true pal and got on disc once but insists we use ventrillo lol. I don’t use disc on my pc I use it on my iPhone and vents app is crappy and don’t work. Lol
  • Bekkael
    Bekkael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, it's so easy to use a mic on console, I never thought it would be an issue on PC. Kind of a bummer for PC players, but it sounds like there are several workarounds available, so that's good.

And there's never an issue with being forced to listen to anyone on mic (including 12 year olds lol) if you don't want to, since you can mute players or leave whatever chat channel you happen to be in. Or have your own private chat via party chat or guild chat channels. ;)
    ~~ Lady Gamer ~~ ♥ ~~ Xbox NA ~~
  • Cloudtrader
    Cloudtrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be SO MUCH EASIER to do random groups if there was an in-game voice option. Unfortunately, all we have are Discord and other third-party things on PC.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

Thanks!

They didn't ignore it on PC. It was not included because there are other options and most of the PC community would rather use those options rather than be subjected to 12 year olds spamming in game voice.

Mute is a thing.

In-game voice chat would be great for PUGing. See all those posts about people being scared to enter vet dungeons or being kicked because they don't know what they're doing? That could all be avoided with built-in voice chat. I can explain complex mechanics to someone via mic. I can't do that via text chat.

DLC dungeon completion rates with the dungeon finder would also skyrocket with built-in voice chat. You'd have far fewer people complaining about getting placed in DLC dungeons for their random daily.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 15, 2019 1:37AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bekkael wrote: »
    Wow, it's so easy to use a mic on console, I never thought it would be an issue on PC. Kind of a bummer for PC players, but it sounds like there are several workarounds available, so that's good.

And there's never an issue with being forced to listen to anyone on mic (including 12 year olds lol) if you don't want to, since you can mute players or leave whatever chat channel you happen to be in. Or have your own private chat via party chat or guild chat channels. ;)

The voice servers are hosted by Sony/MS on console. On PC, the dev would need to host them, so they usually forgo built-in voice chat to save a few bucks.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 15, 2019 1:38AM
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Omg I got this one pal whose son talked the guy into using vent and he WON’T disc. He was the first max cp guy me and my pals met when we were REALLY noobs (like just reaching level 50).

He helped us out so much and is a true pal and got on disc once but insists we use ventrillo lol. I don’t use disc on my pc I use it on my iPhone and vents app is crappy and don’t work. Lol

@JumpmanLane that's hilarious. I made up "weird group that wants you to join ventrillo" as a joke, I haven't actually known anyone to use that in ages.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bekkael wrote: »

Yes, this is an major issue for pug groups. Pug BG / cyrodil especially as you can discuss mechanic and strategy in an dungeon after an wipe without time constrain, if some ass jojo during this vote kick / leave.
    Still consoles should have some buffs for not having mods. Even if the ESO mods are UI mods and should not be more of an issue than housing who is also modifying the game :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Bekkael
    Bekkael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zaria

Very true. My main regret as a console player has always been missing out on mods. Fortunately, there have been improvements for the current gen of xbox in that area. I can't tell you how much fun I had playing Skyrim with mods. Bethesda games really need mods too, not only for bugs, but also to breathe new life into older content. ♥
    ~~ Lady Gamer ~~ ♥ ~~ Xbox NA ~~
  • coj901
    coj901
    ✭✭✭
    Most people that play video games already have discord installed. Console voice chat is inferior to PC just like everything on console.
  • nekura
    nekura
    ✭✭✭
    I use a hot mic and eat roasted almonds so my duo partner has to listen to me chew.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@JumpmanLane that's hilarious. I made up "weird group that wants you to join ventrillo" as a joke, I haven't actually known anyone to use that in ages.

Well I know a guy and his two sons who have a private ventrillo server and IS ALWAYS asking or hinting that we should join it lol.

We tried. Didn’t work. We were doing a dungeon once where you could pull two bosses together and kill them at the same time. The guy on vent didn’t realize we were pulling one boss and racing to the other. The vent guy VALIANTLY soloed the boss while we sat chair and watched. That was when the phrase “He’d know what we were doing if he was on disc!” was born lol.

Weird private server vent dudes EXIST! They are OUT THERE! Lol.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on January 15, 2019 11:37PM
  • DeathStalker_X
    DeathStalker_X
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm part of a couple guilds now, so I guess I'll try setting things up on Discord :)
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Are you on PC, Xbox or PS4?

The answer is different for all 3 because consoles have voice chat built into the game (but how the mic is set up is different for each machine) and on PC there is no voice chat in-game so you have to use a 3rd party program like Discord or Teamspeak.

Or if you have the Steam version of the game you could use the Steam voice chat.
    𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆, 𝗺𝗼𝗱𝘀. 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗕𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴.
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use teamspeak when playing with my guild because they have a server (you have to pay for teamspeak servers) & discord for voice comms with friends / randoms. Even in PC games that have built-in voice comms I tend to use discord with my friends because I like it's features. The ability to easily adjust the volume for each individual is super handy if someone has a loud mic & doesn't realise it.
    Edited by dem0n1k on January 18, 2019 3:27AM
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.