Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS Problem

• Kaytlin
    Kaytlin
    ✭✭✭
    It's now Jan 2019 and they still do not have a correction for the FPS problem, nor the crashing problem after 30-60 minutes of gameplay, etc. COME ON MAN! When are you going to let us know what the heck is going on?
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kaytlin wrote: »
    It's now Jan 2019 and they still do not have a correction for the FPS problem, nor the crashing problem after 30-60 minutes of gameplay, etc. COME ON MAN! When are you going to let us know what the heck is going on?

Probably when THEY know what the heck is going on.
  • Kaytlin
    Kaytlin
    ✭✭✭
    ZeniMins does not have a technical support staff capable of fixing this problem or it would have been fixed a long time ago. I will continue to refer to them as ZeniMin until they can prove they deserve to move up with the big boys and fix their fracking game.

Nathan, they know what the problem is they just don't know how to fix it. The problem stems from the switchover from OpenGL to one compatible with Mojave. They did not test the client adequately before they made this change. OpenGL will still work on Macs, at least for the time being. They could fix this by reverting to the client used prior to the last major "upgrade", until such time as their programming staff is able to take some programming classes and learn to program a game client properly.
  • Vasoka
    Vasoka
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main problems I'm getting are:

1) Severe drop in fps immediately after using a wayshire for about 4-5 sec, talking like down to 50 fps from 100.

2) Completely random fps drops from 100 down to 50-60 while questing around any zones, especially prominent in Summerset.

The overall FPS appears unchanged, however, just those drops.
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kaytlin wrote: »
    Nathan, they know what the problem is they just don't know how to fix it. The problem stems from the switchover from OpenGL to one compatible with Mojave. They did not test the client adequately before they made this change. OpenGL will still work on Macs, at least for the time being. They could fix this by reverting to the client used prior to the last major "upgrade", until such time as their programming staff is able to take some programming classes and learn to program a game client properly.

Unless you are on their development team, you cannot know that they know what the problem is and that they don’t know how to fix it. You are guessing—might be right, might be wrong. Enough said.
  • Puodas
    Puodas
    ✭✭
    Hi,

I’m planning to buy Clockwork City DLC and was wondering if it is playble on mac?
  • ArranHS
    ArranHS
    Puodas wrote: »
    Hi,

I’m planning to buy Clockwork City DLC and was wondering if it is playble on mac?

All of the ESO content is playable on mac, the client just crashes approximately every hour.
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I personally do not recommend buying it. I had to turn half of my graphics off just so I can do my quests around Morrowind. And yes if you play for over an hour or so, the game is most likely to crash.
  • Puodas
    Puodas
    ✭✭
    Wodinn wrote: »
    Hi,

I personally do not recommend buying it. I had to turn half of my graphics off just so I can do my quests around Morrowind. And yes if you play for over an hour or so, the game is most likely to crash.

I dont have to lower my graphics to get 40-50fps on 2017 mbr, it works except for Alinor, when running through city I get freezes and fps drop to 10 and back to 30.
    Also some glitches at random places. And yes, those crashes, but I hope they will be fixed at some point.
    What I’m realy afraid is that clockwork city might be like Alinor, and I dont want to spend money on that :/
    Edited by Puodas on January 6, 2019 3:20PM
  • yacoob
    yacoob
    ✭✭
    Just to set expectations: last actual patch to the game was December 10th. It had decent fixes for Mac. There hasn't been a patch since then. And I don't mean "with Mac fixes", there just hasn't been a patch, period - probably due to holidays.

Looking forward to all of the fixes coming up. No pressure! :P
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, aside from introducing constant crashing, lag, stutter and low FPS for Mac users, the Dec 10 update was quite the triumph.
  • yacoob
    yacoob
    ✭✭
    It has improved the FPS for number of people, fixed the flicker, fixed the full screen behaviour. I see that as an improvement.
  • protofeckless
    protofeckless
    ✭✭✭
    It's astonishing Mac is still included in the store actually. Mac client can't reliably get through any endgame content. It crashes ~20-30mins so you can't reliably: survive a group finder queue if dps, make it to the end of a 4 man dungeon, make it through any trial, pvp without a major hassle for your group. You might get through a battleground, but who wants to risk it?

All that's left is overland single-player content, farming, and writs if you can stand the constant crashing.

This has been the case for months now. With no information from the vendor. Crazy.
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Some of us have only seen MINOR improvements. Screen freezing and crashing still occurs regularly. But my fps has improved slightly.
  • elgirth
    elgirth
    I just uninstalled I'm not dealing with the BS anymore until it's fixed and maybe not even then considering how poorly this has been handled.
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    while there have been marked improvement in the mac client, its not fixed yet. its far from how it was performing pre-murkmire where you could run untra high settings without having to disable or lower anything.

walking through social hubs and in overland in places like summerset are still an FPS nightmare.

Improved? Yes. Fixed? not quite. When the mac client runs the way it did pre-murkire, thats when it'll be fixed. And if we're told that we'll never have that performance again, that's when we seek full refunds en masse.

but, I will acknowledge the improvements that are present. i've actually been able to play again. missed all the indrik events, so that kinda sucks. but thats okay. just happy to be able to play again, especially with Chapter III on the horizon
    Edited by JJBoomer on January 10, 2019 3:05AM
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that is sort of my problem. They LOVE throwing new content at us to do. But they don't care to put enough resources into improving/stabilizing the performance of the game.
  • yacoob
    yacoob
    ✭✭
    Never said it's OK; just pointed out that they've pushed *some* fixes, which resulted in at least one new problem (on-the-clock crashing 8), and then froze *all* updates for the holidays.

If things are not fixed in 4 weeks, I'd be seriously concerned about the dissonance between ZoS's mouth and money. Right now... well, it's just bad taste, but I think I've seen worse (Warhammer Online). Yeah, I know, not much of a consolation :D
  • HowTaoBrownCow
    HowTaoBrownCow
    ✭✭✭
    I got tired of the crashing, and installed the game on my rarely-used Windows dual boot partition, and it's stunningly better. Every single problem I was having has vanished. I haven't had a crash since, and the places where I was getting 17-28 fps (which was as good as I'd get anywhere in the game) I'm now getting 50-65 fps. I may even be able try out Murkmire now. The Macbook Pro display is excellent, and it's nice to see it being used to full effect for a change. The game looks really quite stunning now.

This, obviously, is not a solution that everyone can apply. It's mainly noteworthy in that this is running on exactly the same hardware, graphics card, display, etc, but it's radically better in Windows than in macOS, and that clearly doesn't come from differences in the O/S itself. (Unless you think Apple doesn't know how to make an O/S that can use its own hardware.) I'd rather stay in macOS, but who know how long it will be until that gets fixed?
    Censored
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    I got tired of the crashing, and installed the game on my rarely-used Windows dual boot partition, and it's stunningly better. Every single problem I was having has vanished. I haven't had a crash since, and the places where I was getting 17-28 fps (which was as good as I'd get anywhere in the game) I'm now getting 50-65 fps. I may even be able try out Murkmire now. The Macbook Pro display is excellent, and it's nice to see it being used to full effect for a change. The game looks really quite stunning now.

This, obviously, is not a solution that everyone can apply. It's mainly noteworthy in that this is running on exactly the same hardware, graphics card, display, etc, but it's radically better in Windows than in macOS, and that clearly doesn't come from differences in the O/S itself. (Unless you think Apple doesn't know how to make an O/S that can use its own hardware.) I'd rather stay in macOS, but who know how long it will be until that gets fixed?

Well that's incredibly frustrating.
  • dm_critic
    dm_critic
    ✭✭

I'm in the same boat. I've been playing ESO in Windows 10 on a boot camp drive since about late October, and the performance is night and day compared to macOS.

I still wish ZoS would at least allow us to select running unsupported with OpenGL as an option in the client until they get this damn thing fixed. With all the new stuff they already have planned I have a bad feeling this will get lost in the shuffle as it's clearly not a top-priority issue for them anyway.
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    FYI.... We also have another active thread on virtually same issue/problem re MoltenVK from Update20-Murkmire:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/448995/unexpected-crashing-while-in-game/p1
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif

any updates? Or at least any reassurances that the mac issues won't get ignored with the Q1 updates and Chapter III?
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    JJBoomer wrote: »
    @ZOS_AlexTardif

any updates? Or at least any reassurances that the mac issues won't get ignored with the Q1 updates and Chapter III?

@ZOS_AlexTardif We NEED to know what's going on.
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can we expect ANYTHING to be addressed in tomorrow's patch? Fixed crashing in game? Fixed crashing on exit? Fixed performance issues and FPS drops? Any communication at all from anyone?

@ZOS_GinaBruno ?
    @ZOS_AlexTardif ?

Anyone.............?

Hello..............................?
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    agegarton wrote: »
    Can we expect ANYTHING to be addressed in tomorrow's patch? Fixed crashing in game? Fixed crashing on exit? Fixed performance issues and FPS drops? Any communication at all from anyone?

@ZOS_GinaBruno ?
    @ZOS_AlexTardif ?

Anyone.............?

Hello..............................?

We all need to know.
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From this thread:-

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5725344#Comment_5725344
    agegarton wrote: »
    Hey great. Will they be taking questions about when the Mac Client will be fixed? Or how you guys are going to improve communication with your player base ???

We are still working on both of those things.

It's something, I guess.
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From today's patch notes:-

Mac Game Client
    Fixed a number of crashes found on the Mac game client.
  • yacoob
    yacoob
    ✭✭
    Anyone has tested the new patch yet? :)
  • eleve
    eleve
    ✭✭
    yacoob wrote: »
    Anyone has tested the new patch yet? :)

Did all the things I'd normally do (as the crashes aren't totally reproducible) and it didn't crash. I then put it into the background and left it there and it logged me off after ~20 mins as it is supposed to. All in all, I was online for ~1.5 hrs which is more than I have been able to since Murkmire.

Also, for the first time ever since I bought this game, ~7 months ago, I started the client and pasted my user information into the form first time. No need to switch to another program then back again a few times until the paste would be done.