Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Exclude Rubedo Leather From Surveys

Raijindono
Raijindono
✭✭✭
Ok, so I'm on a crafting rant today, sorry, lol. I've been playing this game since around Thieves Guild. I remember when the zones didn't scale to your level and getting rubedo leather was a bit of a farm. You basically found a cave in Wrothgar and fought for your leather. There was a big uproar about it and Zos decided to add leather to the surveys.

Then Zos made the adds scale to our level. Frankly, most people who play this game a lot are probably drowning in freaking rubedo. I think I have close to 16k in my bag right now, but I'm always out of ancestor silk. If you do your crafting writs daily on multiple toons, you burn down your supply of silk very quickly.

I would like propose that we remove leather from the surveys once again.
  • Granamere
    Granamere
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the fact I have tons of leather and very little ancestor silk. I think we do need to keep them in the surveys though for the guys that just leveled up and do not have the vast hordes we do.

I wish there was a way to pick either leather or silk for the daily writ. I would just do leather for a year and then I would be balanced out. :)
  • Raijindono
    Raijindono
    ✭✭✭
    But you get so much so quickly from killing mobs XD
    Edited by Raijindono on January 5, 2019 9:52PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunatly Zos added leather to the surveys because players asked for it. I seriously doubt they will change it back. Though I agree since I did not like the change to beginwith.
  • LaveniaRose
    LaveniaRose
    ✭✭✭
    As a mainly PvP player, I like the rubedo leather in surveys. And I feel confident there's another player out there without crafting bag enjoying their rubedo too.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't max out all your crafting skills on all your characters. I keep 2 characters at level 1. The level 1 rewards, you either get level 1 resources back or a survey. The rewards are enough to keep your level 1 resources up so you don't run out, and you can put the surveys on your max character to get the silk.
  • Raijindono
    Raijindono
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you get master writs unless they're maxed; right?
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raijindono wrote: »
    Then Zos made the adds scale to our level.

You got that backwards ...
    shades.gif
  • Granamere
    Granamere
    ✭✭✭
    Surveys you get at all levels so as Ackwalan says you can have your maxed guys gather them while you probably have tons of the lower lever mats so the 1 or 2 lower guys you will not need to farm for those mats.

Master writs do only come from maxed so if your goal is to get as many of them as you can you will need to max out all of your characters but then you will have to spend a good amount of time just farming mats for them. :neutral:
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raijindono wrote: »
    I don't think you get master writs unless they're maxed; right?

True, you won't get master writs, but you will get more surveys while not using up silk.

• xpixelatedtkox
    xpixelatedtkox
    ✭✭✭
    The key is picking up nodes as you are questing. I'll build up a stash of surveys, then take my crafter out to complete them all, while also picking up nodes along the way. Any time I see Ancestor Silk, I run and grab it.

Granted, I do have less silk than leather, but I never run out of mats.
    My other toons I keep on Level 1 crafting. Sure, more master writs would be nice, but that's not their purpose. They're just for the money from writs ^_^
    PC - NA
    Guild: Vanquish
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the item cap was raised to 160 to begin with rubedeo was crazy expensive(90g/ea), hence the change. It's easy to farm a bunch of leather-dropping mobs, but it's also pretty easy to farm ancestor silk tbh.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Don't max out all your crafting skills on all your characters. I keep 2 characters at level 1. The level 1 rewards, you either get level 1 resources back or a survey. The rewards are enough to keep your level 1 resources up so you don't run out, and you can put the surveys on your max character to get the silk.

This is pretty much what I do, but only 2 of my characters are at crafting level 50. It makes a big difference.
  • Broyston
    Broyston
    ✭✭✭
    It is the exact opposite for me, loads of silk and very little leather. My experience is you have to actively farm leather, and even then it may not drop from the mob, plus the best grinding spots are often busy. Just killing random wolves etc results in very little leather. The silk is everywhere and gets picked up along with ore and wood etc as you wander about.
    Edited by Broyston on January 9, 2019 1:44PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot will depend on the character. A pure crafter will prefer to forage the silk nodes, because the leather ones fight back.
  • TerraDewBerry
    TerraDewBerry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broyston wrote: »
    It is the exact opposite for me, loads of silk and very little leather. My experience is you have to actively farm leather, and even then it may not drop from the mob, plus the best grinding spots are often busy. Just killing random wolves etc results in very little leather. The silk is everywhere and gets picked up along with ore and wood etc as you wander about.

^This! I am grateful that I can get leather from the surveys. Like you, I just pick up silk, wood and ore as I quest.
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think the surveys are a problem, its the design of the crafting daylies. Its always the same pattern, two times something with silk, then one with leather and it starts over again, so you will always need more silk than leather. I would rather see dailies be adjusted to one day silk, next day leather, silk again and so on...

PS4 EU - StamDK
  • Broyston
    Broyston
    ✭✭✭
    sudaki_eso wrote: »
    I dont think the surveys are a problem, its the design of the crafting daylies. Its always the same pattern, two times something with silk, then one with leather and it starts over again, so you will always need more silk than leather. I would rather see dailies be adjusted to one day silk, next day leather, silk again and so on...

This I could perhaps agree with, and since leather is lower cost than silk it would make it cheaper to buy materials for dailies if you don't have time to harvest (a position I am often in) but I suspect ZOS set it up 2 to 1 for a reason, perhaps they perceive that silk is easier to obtain.
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y'all need to stop killin %#!& and go farm more silk :p
  • Raijindono
    Raijindono
    ✭✭✭
    Ri_Khan wrote: »
    Y'all need to stop killin %#!& and go farm more silk :p

NoU! :p

Yeah, I definitely think that is a big part of it.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's no reason the two couldn't be mixed each day. If they want to retain a three-day cycle, make the writs each a mix of silk and leather. e.g. One robe, one helmet, one guards. Just like the other writs are a mix of armour and weapons. With nine items in three days you could at least adjust to 5 and 4 instead of 6 and 3. Or bump up to 5 and 5 with four items on one of the days.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont pick it up from the surveys?