Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mudcrab Chitin

Granamere
Granamere
✭✭✭
Please in the quality of life update this year can you either remove Mudcrab Chitin for the needed turn ins for Alchemy dailies or if not then can we get a 100% drop rate on them when we kill crabs? Farming these every week is a major pain! I just thought Nirnroot was a pain before you switched it to mudcrab chitin pretty please switch it back to Nirnroot.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes 5 minutes to farm three mudcrab chitin in Khenarthi’s Roost.

If you’re too lazy to take 5 minutes out of your time, you can buy the mudcrab chitin at a guild store ... or skip the alchemy writ for the day.

Simply because you don’t have something in the crafting bag (at the time you want to turn in writs) doesn’t mean it’s a QOL issue.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on January 5, 2019 8:02PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot recall an issue with any matts for those daily writs other than the obvious nirn that was fixed long ago.
  • Granamere
    Granamere
    ✭✭✭
    Well I just spent an hour killing hundreds of crabs and got about 40 chitin. so I am far from lazy. Tons of what I killed did not drop anything. Yes RNG hates me hence why I wish the Alchemy dailies did not ask for anything other than herbs.

Herbs have a 100% drop rate when you gather them. I do the crafting dailies on all 15 chars. I think the only ones that need the chitin are the ones that are maxed out which is 7 or 8 of my guys because of this I have to spend an hour ever weekend gathering the chitin. If I get a writ that I have to use the chitin there goes another 5 of them so why I was asking for either it be removed or a higher drop rate.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember over a year ago when we had this exact same conversation about Nirnroot? Well nobody complains about not having enough nirnroot anymore as ZOS listened and adjusted things. Now Mudcrab Chitin is the hardest required material. If they adjust this again, would anyone like to take a guess what conversation we'll be having a year from now?
  • Granamere
    Granamere
    ✭✭✭
    I good with nirnroot though. I am now sitting on well over 1000+ hence why I would be good with them brining it back. Then a year from now when I have 1000+ chitin we can switch back.

The first update of the year is the balance of life one hence why I was bringing this up now. I want some of my time back from farming mats so I can get back to playing the game to have fun.
    Edited by Granamere on January 5, 2019 8:29PM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But you're not supposed to just auto craft. That would be poor balance. The need to use a resource exchange to get what you need is intended. Buy excess chitin from a guild trader or farm it. There are ways to get the things you need. Ancestor silk used more than leather? Buy some to keep the writs rolling.

It should also be noted that ZOS likely doesn't balance writs for those that run 10 or more toons per day, probably using an addon to speed up the process.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Granamere wrote: »
    I good with nirnroot though. I am now sitting on well over 1000+ hence why I would be good with them brining it back. Then a year from now when I have 1000+ chitin we can switch back.

So, the game should be designed around your playstyle ... that one always works well with other forum-goers and the devs.

Not sure if you missed my comment above ... or conveniently ignored it: You’re not required to farm mudcrab chitin. Buy it at the guild stores or skip that day’s alchemy writ.
  • Granamere
    Granamere
    ✭✭✭
    I do use lazy writ crafter and I do stack my surveys and go gather a tons of mats so I have them for the week. If the alchemy surveys did give chitin that could also solve my problems.

Just because I do all of my toons means I see the problem in a different light and probably faster. When ZOS balances the game they help us all not just people that do a ton of crafting. Because we do focus on crafting we see the pain points faster and the forums are good places for us to give feedback.

On the resource exchange I can agree with your point the only thing is I horde mats. If I sold some to balance out might make more sense but I keep everything cause I never know how ZOS will change things in the next patch.
  • Raijindono
    Raijindono
    ✭✭✭
    One of my friends recently had an issue with getting chitin. He was killing all sorts of crabs, but it appears that only the reddish-brown ones drop the material and they're the ones you typically find in starting zones.

I think all of mudcrabs in any zone should drop it.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrothgar is another quiet place to farm mudcrabs.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raijindono wrote: »
    One of my friends recently had an issue with getting chitin. He was killing all sorts of crabs, but it appears that only the reddish-brown ones drop the material and they're the ones you typically find in starting zones.

I definitely agree with this. If it's a mudcrab that drops loot of any kind, it should have a chance to drop mudcrab chitin. That's only fair.
  • Truthsnark
    Truthsnark
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does mudcrab chitin drop from the alchemy writ reward bag like the other requested items do? I can't recall ever seeing it. And if not, why?
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    My solution to the mudcrab issue is rather simple. Mind you, I have 15 characters running top level alchemy writs, and this still works. Almost every day, with the character who's my primary gatherer, I do a quick run for both nirnroot and mudcrab chiten. My locations are the nirn around the hollow city wayshrine, and then the docks at davon's watch, followed with a run around Ebonheart. Between the two, I not only keep enough mudcrab chitin, but I pick up a couple of chests and thieves' troves regularly, and I tend to increase my chitin buffer (I do keep a buffer on all mats, because I'm doing so many writs). Just doing a single half-hour a day run gets me everything I need. So it's not really that hard. Just recognize where the things are likely to be.

@Alassirana
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raijindono wrote: »

When Chitin first became a thing, only the Redish Crabs dropped the Chitin, which are also the crabs that give the most EXP on a kill, like 10 times more. There was a patch that normalized chitin drops between the two types of crabs. But that might have been slipped out in a subsequent patch.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There needs to be more of a balance in asking for more different materials at each crafting tier. It should not always be or predominately be one materiel. Add in more variety to the mix then there will be little room for complaint.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was trying to figure out a way to test this but I got in the habit of just abandoning these quests before going to farm the required mats. You can just go back to the board and pick them up again after. Call me paranoid, I don't care.

It all started when it took me a ridiculous amount of time to find the 3 chitin. It was a little more than aggravating that something that is usually so common in every coastal starter region just wasn't there anymore. The ones I did find were dropping chitin 1/10. It was absolutely painful "rng" for no apparent reason. The second time it happened, I'd been porting around with similar results for about 20 minutes before I got the idea. I abandoned the quest and took a different character that had already completed that alchemy daily on a trip to the beach... B)

Lo and behold, mudcrabs everywhere! Had what I needed in minutes. The thing is, I started farming mudcrabs more often after that and haven't had a problem since. You can fill empty soul gems from your enchanters at the same time. Win win!