Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Chests in dungeons (question from a noob)

BitRowdy
BitRowdy
1. I got the impression that some good items drop more frequently in chests rather than bosses, especially if you have the Treasure Hunter CP passive. In other words, if you don't stop for chests you may be missing a lot. Is that true?

2. My TTMP (newer alternative to HarvestMap) shows lots of spawn points for chests in dungeons but I can't get PUGs to stop and look with me. What am I not understanding?
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chests have a chance to drop an item from that dungeon. It can be anything, armor, jewelry or weapons, from any of the sets from that dungeon. I wouldn't say that they are somehow very valuable. Treasure hunter only does one thing - it upgrades your loot from chests by one "level". So in an intermediate chest you get the same loot table as in advanced. And an intermediate drop from an easy one.

Probably because sets in that dungeon are not worth it. Rarely they are and then you might see people specifically looking for chests. But unless you are farming a set there is no reason to go out of your way to look for them.
    Edited by Royaji on January 3, 2019 10:51PM
  • BitRowdy
    BitRowdy
    D'oh! That explains it. The dungeon I was most interested in looking for chests in was one I was farming for a particular set.

Still, on a day that is not a pledge day for that dungeon, why would anyone run it if not farming?
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Random dungeon finder. This is the reason why it is in the game. To help people who are farming specific dungeons fill the group.
  • BitRowdy
    BitRowdy
    Random dungeon finder! With additional rewards! I forgot. That answers that. Thanks.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Tough to say. Most of the gear I want I get from bosses.

2. The chests don't always spawn, and when they do, they should be relatively easy/obvious to see. There are a few, like in COH1, where they hide the chest behind a wall or mirror. But for the most part, they are out in the open.

Another reason people might not want to stop is because some PUGs run the dungeons to satisfy the Undaunted pledge that day, if that dungeon is one of the 3 dailies. Can run most in 15-20 minutes, and most people have a lot of the gear from those dungeons. If you are farming gear, put out a request in group chat at some point like "LF Ebon body pieces" or whatever. You'll typically get a couple players who will gladly give up loot they don't want. And its a better bet than hunting chests.
  • BitRowdy
    BitRowdy
    Thanks!