The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Now I am 50 I am confused about progression

SgtSilock
SgtSilock
✭✭✭✭
I understand I should do vet dungeons at 160, so, for now, I should focus on questing and dungeons. However, in other games such as WoW, there aren't 1000 set pieces I could use so that any new item I get is most likely a very good upgrade that will improve my damage. Here I am not sure about how I should progress, as I know the build I want is a stam blade focused on damage, but the sets I have seen are crafted only and since I am not great at crafting and I have yet to figure out how to get mats for the crafting of these items, I don't know what I should be doing. Do I only do dungeons for the XP and not for loot? Do I stick with questing only and grind mats so the crafted set I need can be crafted and hopefully I find someone who can craft this for me?

I love this game, but I am not sure why I feel so confused about what to do at this level, I don't usually have this trouble with other MMOs, and I think it's mainly to do with the fact there are so many builds in the game and there are so many set items I could be using. This is a good thing, as more variety the better but as a new player, I need some guidance so I thought I would come here and ask for your advice.

Thanks, guys.
  • SgtSilock
    SgtSilock
    ✭✭✭✭
    SgtSilock wrote: »
    I understand I should do vet dungeons at 160, so, for now, I should focus on questing and dungeons. However, in other games such as WoW, there aren't 1000 set pieces I could use so that any new item I get is most likely a very good upgrade that will improve my damage. Here I am not sure about how I should progress, as I know the build I want is a stam blade focused on damage, but the sets I have seen are crafted only and since I am not great at crafting and I have yet to figure out how to get mats for the crafting of these items, I don't know what I should be doing. Do I only do dungeons for the XP and not for loot? Do I stick with questing only and grind mats so the crafted set I need can be crafted and hopefully I find someone who can craft this for me?

I love this game, but I am not sure why I feel so confused about what to do at this level, I don't usually have this trouble with other MMOs, and I think it's mainly to do with the fact there are so many builds in the game and there are so many set items I could be using. This is a good thing, as more variety the better but as a new player, I need some guidance so I thought I would come here and ask for your advice.

Thanks, guys.

Not sure how to edit posts on this forum, however in the above post I wanted to further add that but the sets I have seen that focus on crit damage are crafted only, other than a few that are found in trials or the tough dungeons.
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can perhaps use some dropped sets while you gather mats to craft the gear fpr your build. Also dropped gear are a good way to gather mats since you can deconstruct them and also gain crafting levels or upgrade mats. You can also drop the same gear in normal mode but they'll be blue instead of purple
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gear progression continues after level 50, but now it goes off your champion points instead, with new "levels" for every 10 CP up to 160. So there's no point worrying too much about getting the best possible gear until you reach 160cp.

As for what to do to get CP the answer is whatever you want. Overland questing is one option, dungeons are another, or grinding (power levelling) or anything else which gives XP. Or a mix of things.

Sets are available in a number of ways. Some are crafted, some drop in specific zones or dungeons and some come from PvP or trials. Which ones you use are up to you and some people do stick to ones they can obtain in content they enjoy but once you get to 160 it might be worth looking at other options.

Finally if you want one crafted you can always ask your guild, there will almost certainly be at least 1 crafter who can help. But find out EXACTLY what you want first. "Make me a good set" is an impossible request and even "Make a good set for a stam blade" is extremely vauge work out what pieces you want and give them a list.

Speak to them about what payment they want. Normally they'll ask you to provide the materials (they can tell you what that is) plus a bit of gold for their time, or gold to buy the materials, but they might skip some/all of that, especially for a friend or guild mate. (Or just because they have more than enough of that material and will never use it themselves.)
    Edited by Danikat on January 1, 2019 11:24AM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • SgtSilock
    SgtSilock
    ✭✭✭✭
    LMar wrote: »
    You can perhaps use some dropped sets while you gather mats to craft the gear fpr your build. Also dropped gear are a good way to gather mats since you can deconstruct them and also gain crafting levels or upgrade mats. You can also drop the same gear in normal mode but they'll be blue instead of purple

So where does Hunding's Rage drop??
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You see, the loot you collect is scaled to your level and/or CP, until you reach level 50 CP 160, when the loot stops scaling and you will always get level 50 CP 160 gear. I wouldn't worry much about gear before then. I wouldn't worry much about your build either, just try to get the skill lines to top level as you gain XP.

As for crafting, mind, that the resources you farm are scaled 50% according to your level and CP, and 50% according to your main crafting skill passive, randomly. For example an untrained level 50 CP 160 jewellery crafter will get 50% Pewter and 50% Platinum nodes.

Be sure to do daily crafting writs, you will get a number surveys, which will give you heaps of resources. Plus, the writ rewards give a lot of gold. A level 50 character will get 4.6k gold just from rewards for a round of the daily crafting writs. Such amount should allow you to buy some materials for your own crafting.

I would wholeheartedly recommend joining a good social guild. Your guildmates will gladly help you, give advice, and usually even craft gear for you.

As for crafted and lootable gear sets, you may find this link useful:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Craftable_Sets

The point is to combine items from certain sets in your 12 available slots so that you get the desired bonuses.
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Generally speaking what you want to do now is make money and buy gear from guild vendors to get a basic build. Armor parts and jewelry is usually cheap, weapons can be very expensive, depending on the set. Farming gear for yourself can be a very frustrating experience thanks to randomized drops. When you get a basic you can start worrying about what you really want, maybe read some guides here and there for recommendations.
    If you join a guild, or even ask in chat, you might be able to find someone who can craft you some gear, though usually they want materials to make it less of a hassle. Materials are gathered in the world from ore deposits, fallen branches, etc. They then have to be refined on a crafting table. There are passive skills in the crafting skill lines that highlight the sources in the world. Beware that CP 160 gear need a lot of mats to make.
  • victory.immortalb16_ESO
    Rule 1: gather everything as a nooby.
    Rule 2: join a trade guild
    Sell those mats to generate the gold to buy the pieces you want.

Or join a guild and ask them to craft you a basic set of what you want once you have the mats.

If it's your first toon then at least unlock all the crafts. Decomp drops to raise the levels (intricate is best), but if it's your first toon then generally not a good idea to waste skill points in many crafts.

Read a guide to alchemy and food provisioning, as buff food and foods generally are quite important! Many guilds have a good alchemist and provisioner and will craft what you want as long as you have the mats.

Resource gathering isn't hard (look at some of the available add-ons!!).

Most players end up using one toon as their master crafter, where you level it to 50, gather lots of skills point then respec to just all crafts.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's crafted. Combining Hunding's Rage with Briarheart (dropped, in Wrothgar, sold on guild vendors) would be a very solid base.

For editing your posts, click on the gear icon in the top right of your message.
    Edited by Everstorm on January 1, 2019 11:34AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hurdling rage is an crafted set, its also seen as one of the better sets in game for stamina users.
    You typically want two daggers and an bow of it and 3 armor pieces. Fill out the rest with another sets.

So its perfect for leveling and also as one of your sets at cp160.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully to help clear some of the progression questions! Once you hit level 50 you start earning Champion Points which you can use to enhance your damage abilities, improve sustain and reduce incoming damage. Currently you can spend 810 of these but can collect way beyond this.

Gear is linked to Champion Points too, currently the gear cap is 160 Champion Points. From this point any gear you collect can be used throughout your progression to 810.
    Anything up until this is just filler until you get to 160 CP basically.

The ideal approach when levelling is to have crafted gear as it’s much easier to come by rather than trying to get drops from dungeons.

Hundings rage is craftable and can be used with night mothers gaze for a solid base until 160CP.

In terms of what you can do, you can level through dungeons, or just questing through the zones. Either will get you plenty XP.

What platform/server are you on? Happy to help with crafting if one PC/EU also got account on NA but less crafting options
  • SgtSilock
    SgtSilock
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the info everybody, I am definitely less confused now.
    Parrot1986 wrote: »

Hopefully to help clear some of the progression questions! Once you hit level 50 you start earning Champion Points which you can use to enhance your damage abilities, improve sustain and reduce incoming damage. Currently you can spend 810 of these but can collect way beyond this.

Gear is linked to Champion Points too, currently the gear cap is 160 Champion Points. From this point any gear you collect can be used throughout your progression to 810.

The ideal approach when levelling is to have crafted gear as it’s much easier to come by rather than trying to get drops from dungeons.

Hundings rage is craftable and can be used with night mothers gaze for a solid base until 160CP.

In terms of what you can do, you can level through dungeons, or just questing through the zones. Either will get you plenty XP.

What platform/server are you on? Happy to help with crafting if one PC/EU also got account on NA but less crafting options

Your help would be really appreciated. I am in the EU server on PC, I don't know the name of the server though as I think the game just put me in this one automatically. And my in-game character name is Silock Manawraith.
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the info everybody, I am definitely less confused now.
    Parrot1986 wrote: »

Your help would be really appreciated. I am in the EU server on PC, I don't know the name of the server though as I think the game just put me in this one automatically. And my in-game character name is Silock Manawraith.

Cool I’ll be on later today so can sort out some gear, add me as friend @Parrot86 is my in game ID.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There are only two servers per platform, one for US and one for Europe. Night Mother's Gaze is less useful for Stamblades as they get major fraction on their main spammable: Surprise Attack.

Edited by Everstorm on January 1, 2019 11:42AM
  • siddique
    siddique
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As far as I remember, Morkuldin is a very good crafted set as well.
    "Knee-jerk reactionist."
    Lost Depths, 2015-2022.
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding a decent guild will help out. Quest and do dailies until cp160. Guildies will help with builds etc... also some basic info, Alcast is a player who has a pretty solid website to help newer players. Has some decent build advice to pull ideas feom as well.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We call it horizontal progression. IMO much more interesting than vertical.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Idk if it's been said.
    Be careful farming pre cp 160. Gear maxes at cp 160 not lvl 50.
    Edited by paulychan on January 1, 2019 6:51PM
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I just started 6 months ago, reached 160 about 3 months into it. I went from zone to zone from day one and did all the quests in a zone and then moved on to the next. Once I did all the zones I was about CP 150. Once I did all the zone I started doing undaunted dungeon quest dailies on normal which got me to about 400 and then about a month ago I moved to Vets and am almost 600 now. Doing it this way I managed to acquire a lot of good gear and also loot amd mats to sell to buy and upgrade gear.