Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A Thought about Dark Elf Bed of Coals, Lore-wise

Chiefdrake
Chiefdrake
✭✭
The Dark Elf bed of coals is categorized as 'lighting,' but of course I over-analyzed for the sake of my favorite race.

Considering the racial boon all Dunmer have that gives them a resistance to fire, I've always thought the Coal-bed would be a luxury item or something like that. Like, it's meant for the user to strip down, burrow under and lay there. It provides deep-touch stimulation, it's warm, and we all know charcoal has health benefits. Besides that, you could use it to burn incense in the meantime.

I'm not sure if I'm looking for input or what, but I just wanted to put that thought out there.
Irivan V'kali -- Hlaalu Dunmer -- Nightblade
"For we, the faithful of Vaermina, know true fear."
"Look, I'm not saying I'm afraid of Kagouti, s'wit. I'm just saying that-- given the choice between facing the entire Aldmeri Dominion military or a Kagouti in rut-- I'll take the uptight Aldmer any day."
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there literally lore about them dancing on coal to oppose a dance ban mentioned in the new life festival
  • Chiefdrake
    Chiefdrake
    ✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    there literally lore about them dancing on coal to oppose a dance ban mentioned in the new life festival

That's really cool! I'd never heard of that before.
    "Look, I'm not saying I'm afraid of Kagouti, s'wit. I'm just saying that-- given the choice between facing the entire Aldmeri Dominion military or a Kagouti in rut-- I'll take the uptight Aldmer any day."
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad its hard to get the item in question
  • j.greenmanb16_ESO
    j.greenmanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Dark elves aren't immune to fire, just resistant. I am quite sure if one was buried in coals they would burn to death. And I imagine, though its lore friendly, that it veers more towards being more of a game mechanic than anything else just to separate the races more. Mechanics stripped aside, i'm sure any dunmer could perhaps put out a match or snuff out a candle with their finger tips easily enough, where as an altmer perhaps would avoid such a thing altogether. Or perhaps sit closer to a fire than other races without being turned away by the heat, but laying in a bed of coals for a pleasent and comfortable experience? Nope.
    "You are brave and you are strong, of this there is no doubt. But without me at your side, your deeds will go unknown, your death unwept and your story unsung - Sings-In-Shade, the Argonian Bard
  • Chiefdrake
    Chiefdrake
    ✭✭
    Dark elves aren't immune to fire, just resistant. I am quite sure if one was buried in coals they would burn to death. And I imagine, though its lore friendly, that it veers more towards being more of a game mechanic than anything else just to separate the races more. Mechanics stripped aside, i'm sure any dunmer could perhaps put out a match or snuff out a candle with their finger tips easily enough, where as an altmer perhaps would avoid such a thing altogether. Or perhaps sit closer to a fire than other races without being turned away by the heat, but laying in a bed of coals for a pleasent and comfortable experience? Nope.

Which is something to consider, definitely. But all the way back to at least Oblivion the Dunmer have (by the game numbers) had a fire-resistance trait between about 50-75% (in ESO it can technically be a bit higher than the base 50, I think?) That's an awfully large number, considering. Granted, game-logic doesn't equal lore, but it translates to some degree.

Besides that, coal-walking is possible for humanity-- it relies on being swift, steady, and having wet feet, but it's one of many things humanity has done that proves a mild resistance to heat in close proximity with the help of a small aid. If we put on a 50-75% dampener of pain, I'd imagine gently smoldering coals would be comfortable. Maybe only for short periods of time (maybe a 15 minute maximum before becoming a bit uncomfortable) but still there.

But as for the lore-to-gameplay issue-- we know, lore-wise, that the Dunmer live pretty close to Red Mountain. They don't live within a couple miles of it, for certain, but they live close enough that they see the effects of volcanic ash, embers, and lava all around. Living around that for such an extended period of time is sure to result in natural-selection. I'd think living in such an active volcanic landscape (literally surrounded by volcanoes and ash) would guarantee quite the resistance to fire and heat.

(Not trying to argue or anything, just way too excited about fantasy biology and culture! Heh, as if three starry-eyed paragraphs didn't make that evident.)
  • j.greenmanb16_ESO
    j.greenmanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    We shall have to agree to disagree, as I 'aint buying it :P But as you said, im not trying to argue either (though that's kind of a lie, but I would rather call it a healthy discourse, or a discussion)

As for bringing in natural selection into the equation, i'm pretty sure that should be left at the door and chalk it up to fantasy "magic did it" There are lots of volcanoes around the world, yet I don't think we have found many, if any, plants and animals that have been living near them all this time to be very resistant to fire. Maybe more tolerant to heat and able to adapt, but im sure we will find they hate fire just as much as the next thing :P

And since we are on the topic of a bed of coals being a kind form of relaxation thing......I think it would be the opposite, as I find most cultures look to the opposite temperatures/environments of their homelands for comfort. Desert faring folk look to cool waters, shade and a nice breeze, where as people of colder climates look to warm up by fires and in saunas. After living by volcanoes and rivers of lava, being covered in ash on a regular basis (and other regions of morrowind seeming to be on the swampy and humid causing one to be both hot and sweaty) i'd be looking for a cool cloth and a cold shower before I started looking to get even hotter myself :P

I will reiterate what I said: I believe a dunmer would be more resistant and tolerant to heat and fire (much like a welder or a blacksmith might be used to being hit with sparks and bits of hot metal hitting them and being next to a forge all day) I'd say if one were to reasonably roleplay an average dunmer and lets say a great strong orc laying on a bed of coals in a contest of fortitude, I'd give the dunmer MAYBE 5 more seconds longer than the big tough battle hardened orc having a high pain tolerance and no natural resistance to fire.

I am by no means not telling you to not RP what you think if you do not want to, i'm just giving my two cents. I'm just saying if I were to encounter that in an RP, i'd be calling BS on that without direct magical assistance :P
    Edited by j.greenmanb16_ESO on December 31, 2018 6:54AM
    "You are brave and you are strong, of this there is no doubt. But without me at your side, your deeds will go unknown, your death unwept and your story unsung - Sings-In-Shade, the Argonian Bard
  • Chiefdrake
    Chiefdrake
    ✭✭
    We shall have to agree to disagree, as I 'aint buying it :P But as you said, im not trying to argue either (though that's kind of a lie, but I would rather call it a healthy discourse, or a discussion)

As for bringing in natural selection into the equation, i'm pretty sure that should be left at the door and chalk it up to fantasy "magic did it" There are lots of volcanoes around the world, yet I don't think we have found many, if any, plants and animals that have been living near them all this time to be very resistant to fire. Maybe more tolerant to heat and able to adapt, but im sure we will find they hate fire just as much as the next thing :P

And since we are on the topic of a bed of coals being a kind form of relaxation thing......I think it would be the opposite, as I find most cultures look to the opposite temperatures/environments of their homelands for comfort. Desert faring folk look to cool waters, shade and a nice breeze, where as people of colder climates look to warm up by fires and in saunas. After living by volcanoes and rivers of lava, being covered in ash on a regular basis (and other regions of morrowind seeming to be on the swampy and humid causing one to be both hot and sweaty) i'd be looking for a cool cloth and a cold shower before I started looking to get even hotter myself :P

I will reiterate what I said: I believe a dunmer would be more resistant and tolerant to heat and fire (much like a welder or a blacksmith might be used to being hit with sparks and bits of hot metal hitting them and being next to a forge all day) I'd say if one were to reasonably roleplay an average dunmer and lets say a great strong orc laying on a bed of coals in a contest of fortitude, I'd give the dunmer MAYBE 5 more seconds longer than the big tough battle hardened orc having a high pain tolerance and no natural resistance to fire.

I am by no means not telling you to not RP what you think if you do not want to, i'm just giving my two cents. I'm just saying if I were to encounter that in an RP, i'd be calling BS on that without direct magical assistance :P

Agree to disagree it is then! I like the points you make though (it definitely is true cultures generally search for the opposite of their environment for comfort), and I'm glad to be able to have a friendly debate with someone!