The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Will NPC Quest givers give me quests for DLC I do not have?

Celthon
Celthon
✭✭
While in the Outlaw Refuge near Vivec City I was hailed by an NPC who gave me a Quest to begin "Dark Brotherhood" skill line: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Voices_in_the_Dark

I do not have the Dark Brotherhood DLC...so does that mean I cannot do this quest, or is it a portion of that area (Gold Coast) that I can do without that DLC?

Thank you for your time and assistance.
PC -- NA Server
Celthon - Dark Elf - Beast Caller
Duinthorn - Bosmer - Umbral Assassin
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it tells you to 'go to Gold Coast', you're not gonna be able to do it.. odd that it'll let you grab the quest, though...!
    if I could make another character, their name would be Cries-For-Character-Slots. AKA, I need more.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some DLCs have "pre"quests that are available before the DLC is released. I expect those without access can do those quests since they do not involved the actual DLC.

I do not recall if DB had such a quest.
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Some DLCs have "pre"quests that are available before the DLC is released. I expect those without access can do those quests since they do not involved the actual DLC.

If s/he ran into Amelia, that takes you straight to 'go to Anvil' and 'kill an innocent in Anvil'... which they can't do. There's no Plus trial time going right now, is there??
    if I could make another character, their name would be Cries-For-Character-Slots. AKA, I need more.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kadochka wrote: »

If s/he ran into Amelia, that takes you straight to 'go to Anvil' and 'kill an innocent in Anvil'... which they can't do. There's no Plus trial time going right now, is there??

No trial time ATM.
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kadochka wrote: »

No trial time ATM.
    So how.....?

• Celthon
    Celthon
    ✭✭
    Yes, it was 'Amelia' who spoke to me in Outlaw Refuge under docks near Vivec City...she gave me the Voices in the Dark quest, which as noted above instructs me to "kill an innocent in Anvil".

Despite not having the Dark Brotherhood DLC the Quest appears in my journal, and displays an Icon on the compass bar at the top of my screen...I traveled by Wayshrine to Vulkhel Guard where there is a 'Harbor Skiff' labeled as travel to Gold Coast and the quest Icon leads me to that 'Harbor Skiff'...at that point I am stopped when I try to use the skiff with a small message window indicating I must have ESO-plus or the DLC.

Thank you for the replies and information.
    Edited by Celthon on December 28, 2018 6:16AM
    PC -- NA Server
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Celthon wrote: »
    Yes, it was 'Amelia' who spoke to me in Outlaw Refuge under docks near Vivec City...she gave me the Voices in the Dark quest, which as noted above instructs me to "kill an innocent in Anvil".

Despite not having the Dark Brotherhood DLC the Quest appears in my journal, and displays an Icon on the compass bar at the top of my screen...I traveled by Wayshrine to Vulkhel Guard where there is a 'Harbor Skiff' labeled as travel to Gold Coast and the quest Icon leads me to that 'Harbor Skiff'...at that point I am stopped when I try to use the skiff with a small message window indicating I must have ESO-plus or the DLC.

Thank you for the replies and information.
    You're welcome. Hope it all goes well, whether you buy it or not! <3

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised the quest giver would even be visable. Especially if you do not see quest givers for other zones. There are a number of annoying NPCs running around. Saying the Guild requests your help and other nonsense if you have not started the quests for that zone.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's definitely a bug. You shouldn't see the introductory quests until you've got the DLC, ESO+ or a free ESO+ trial (and there's no way to have a trial now).

Confusingly though I wasn't able to reproduce it. I switched to the PC NA server where I don't have any DLC except Morrowind and Summerset and went to Davon's Watch. I didn't get chased by Stuga about going to Orsinium (couldn't even find her when I went looking) and couldn't find Amelia in the outlaws refuge. Then I went to Vivec City's outlaws refuge, incase it was specific to that one and I still couldn't see Amelia or any new quest markers.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Celthon
    Celthon
    ✭✭
    I 'think' Amelia appearing in the Outlaw Refuge may be triggered for a particular character when (s)he kills an innocent, as I saw her (Amelia) when I ran to Outlaw Refuge after I killed a citizen who caught me stealing from their room and attacked me, but not certain.

I also thought it would've only happened if I have that particular DLC (which I don't, and do not have ESO-+), that's what prompted me to post the OP, because after she appeared and gave me the Quest I wondered if there were areas/parts of the Dark Brotherhood stuff I could get to without having the DLC. Have only been playing the game a few weeks, off and on.

So as indicated in previous post is seems like a bug or glitch...I will 'abandon' the quest, and all is well.
    Edited by Celthon on December 29, 2018 9:53PM
    PC -- NA Server