The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Silk is expensive and rare

• Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do daily writs on 2 maxed out characters and while I have a little over 22,000 leather, I tend to hover around 150 ancestor silk. It's ridiculous.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Xerikten wrote: »

it you are using several crafters each day doing lvl 50 writs you will have to harvest or be really lucky with surveys.

I was going to post this ... but someone already beat me to it. ;)

I do 1-2 clothing writs per day and have no problem keeping up with writs and an occasional new light armor set.

Players doing clothing writs on 8-14 characters per day? Yeah, that’s gonna deplete stock pretty quickly ... leading to “can we get a handout in the form of a game change” forum posts.

I do them on 26 a day :neutral: I don't want any nerfs though. It might also help that I have approximately 200k Silk in my craft bags between the two accounts built up...

Br00TCn.jpg
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on December 26, 2018 4:24PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Needing 140 ancestor silk to create one robe is INSANE.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    90 percent of my characters are stamina based. So I make a ton of gold on the status quo.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must be the odd man, because I have over 1,000 pcs of silk. I harvest every node I can get my hands on. Also what helps is that I get a lot of Clothier Surveys.
    I do wish however that would change the rotation to do more Leather writs, have over 3,500 Leather.

Nope. I too have almost 4k silk and maybe half of that in leather. Most times it seems I'm lucky if I get one piece of leather from anything whereas almost every silk plant I pluck gives me a minimum of three, usually seven.

While I do a lot of harvesting and gathering to be fair, I never go out of my way to farm silk. It all comes from casual harvesting. I have very few magical characters so that might throw everything off I guess.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Needing 140 ancestor silk to create one robe is INSANE.
    If you are doing Daily Writs, why are you making CP160. I make CP150 for my Daily Writs, and I only use around 15 silk ( not sure of number, but way less that 140 silks ).

PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From the perspective of a Crafter who does writs on two charecters a day and wouldn’t farm mats if the devs paid cash money, all mine are gathered en route on quests with the aid of those passives to make the nodes glow

Rubedo leather..... anything over four thousand gets dumped on the nearest npc merchant, can’t be bothered selling it as given the amount of beasties I splatter on my travels and it’s low value it’s not worth the effort

Silk... more valuable than leather, generally the surveys and intricate items combined return slightly less than I use but this is made up by quest route harvesting. On more than two charecters this gap will get bigger, I used to do writs on 6 alts but I reduced this as it was a time sink I can’t afford

Jewellery.... more than I can use in terms of base mats, refine and sell most tempers, I have one item upped to gold for the achievements, beyond that it’s not worth it when I can sell it for insane amounts of gold even when I massively undercut the market

Wood... lmao

Rubedite... break even, see silk

Basicaly the game is balanced towards two alts because that is, according to the devs, what most people have. The system is designed to require you to do a bit of gathering but nothing beyond what quest routs should provide. If you have more than two you will need more gathering and this factor just gets bigger, hence a shortage
  • jlb1705
    jlb1705
    ✭✭✭
    I have two characters, my main and a crafter. My crafter is the only one I do writs with and I can't seem to keep silk on hand. Today I decided to respec my skill points back down to the lowest material level for both clothing and jewelry. The 2:1 demand on silk vs. leather from daily writs along with the fact that you have to harvest it from nodes instead of farming it from beasts that you kill through the course of normal gameplay make this a skill that just isn't worth maxing out once you've crafted all of the sets that you need for yourself. I can complete writs with jute on a self-sustaining basis and get the same amount of XP and gold. I'll just miss out on a few master writs, but they don't drop often enough to make up for the headaches I'll save with this change. I'll still be able to get and do writs in other disciplines if I need vouchers. It's the same thing for jewelry crafting. The lowest level writs are nearly self-sustaining and the master writs are expensive and pointless.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Xerikten wrote: »

it you are using several crafters each day doing lvl 50 writs you will have to harvest or be really lucky with surveys.

I was going to post this ... but someone already beat me to it. ;)

I do 1-2 clothing writs per day and have no problem keeping up with writs and an occasional new light armor set.

Players doing clothing writs on 8-14 characters per day? Yeah, that’s gonna deplete stock pretty quickly ... leading to “can we get a handout in the form of a game change” forum posts.

I do them on 26 a day :neutral: I don't want any nerfs though. It might also help that I have approximately 200k Silk in my craft bags between the two accounts built up...

Br00TCn.jpg

I do it as my source of income in the game. So I don't have to farm motifs, I don't have to farm furnishing plans, I don't have to farm the style helms/shoulders. I can just buy them. I prefer the guaranteed income of writs to the randomness of depending on drops.

But, that's just me, everybody has to choose what they do.
    Edited by tmbrinks on December 29, 2018 3:22PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • WolfStar07
    WolfStar07
    ✭✭✭
    Odd. I feel that for me, rubedo leather is the rare commodity and I am swimming in ancestor silk. I can gather so much more raw silk unintentionally (which is how most of my harvesting is done these days) than I can leather.
  • Mithrazielle
    Mithrazielle
    ✭✭
    A lot of people don't realize this, but Tamriel, like the real world, tends to have more resources in some zones than others. If you pay attention, and wonder around, you can find that one geography has lots of silk, whereas another will have lots of dragonthorn, etc.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until the change where the low level writs returned more mats than were used, I was always short of Jute, even though those writs did return the same level of material. Ancestor Silk was rarely a problem, as there was always a survey in the bank (from the lower level crafter alts) when needed.

Now the writs use only half the mats they return, I don't run out of anything*. However, I'm not trying to play as a pure crafter, the way some posting in this thread seem to do. My main crafter learns all the styles, and does the master writs. Everyone else does their research, so they can always craft their own equipment (outfit system means style isn't relevant for stuff you use). Daily crafting writs are done as a way of raising the crafting skills, more than anything else. A character generally manages to hit crafting level 50's before reaching playing level 50.

*There is an exception, and that's the purple-level tempers. Master writs are for Epic or Legendary items, both of which need the purple level, and only half need the gold. The random drop rates don't reflect the usage rates too well.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You guys must not stop to collect them much. I have plenty of mats now. The only time I have run out was when I was upping the quality. Having to go out and look for things then can be a bit annoying, since I am light on a few steps along the way.
    PC
    PS4/PS5