Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Xbox One X vs. OG Xbox Performance

Solidus2
Solidus2
I'm sure not many people actually have multiple Xboxes Side-by-side, but we do. As such, we've noticed something that is really disappointing: ESO runs much, much better on old Xbox One than on the X. I'm talking about an OG Xbox One, not even an S. Why is this a thing?

For example, if you start a new character in Summerset, there is a series of quests that take you into the sewer under Shimmerene. Once you enter this area, the OG Xbox runs perfectly smooth the entire time. On the X, if you face the interior of this entire area at any point, it bogs down to 5-10 FPS. It is an unplayable slideshow. Animations, movement, and camera movement all drag and lag from low FPS. Side by side, it is ridiculous to watch an OG Xbox One run so smoothly, and an X bog down to an unplayable level like this. This area is just an example, there are other areas doing this, as well.

Some details:
1) This is not network related. Both Xboxes are wired to the same router, on the same Gigabit fiber internet. It is 1000/1000 EPB in Chattanooga which actually gets maximum speed all the time. It is, from my experience, the finest internet in the United States. There is no network latency when playing in the stuttering areas.

2) They are both hooked up to 1080p TV's. As such, there are no 4k or HRD modes running on the X (So performance should be even better). I also had my brother fire up the game and my account on his X, which runs a beautiful TCL 4k TV, and the same thing happens. It is not TV related at all.

3) Both TV's are in gamemode, with no post processing nonsense. It is not a TV framerate issue, it's the Xbox rendering.

I just feel like this issue needs to be raised. Most people probably accept the way the game runs on an Xbox One X simply because they have no frame of reference. I hate to say it guys, but the game barely looks better on the X, but it runs WAY worse than even an OG Xbox One. Something is seriously wrong with the Xbox One X "Enhanced" version of the game. I want people to know this if you are thinking of wasting money on an X in an attempt to improve ESO performance. Do it for other games, sure, but not for ESO.
  • Excaltic
    Excaltic
    ✭✭✭
    ESO on Xbox One X @ 1080p almost runs at ultra PC settings on graphics quality, that's why it doesn't have extreme FPS.

Sadly Zenimax doesn't give us the option (performance mode) to use the same (low) graphical as on the OG Xbox One.

Performance mode on the Xbox One X @ 1080p would be a very welcome thing (Locked 60 FPS), especially for EndGame PvE and PvP Cyrodill.
  • Solidus2
    Solidus2
    Wow, it really runs the game on settings that high? That seems a little silly - The X is a lot more powerful than a release Xbox One, but still nowhere near enough to power ultra setting at a reasonable FPS like a PC.

I guess what bothers me about running on such bogging settings is that the game actually doesn't even look much better anyway. Seeing two ESO's running on TV's sitting side-by-side, they don't look any different. Same graphical texture pop-in, same stutters, same loading on the fly. The water looks a little clearer? Textures are a little sharper after they've abruptly popped in? There's just no reason to bog down FPS to an unplayable level for "ultra" settings that don't look any better, ZOS...
    -_-
  • IonicKai
    IonicKai
    ✭✭✭✭
    When they first released the enhanced update to support Xbox 1X it was buttery smooth. After the patch that allowed outfits performance took a nose dive but got somewhat better during wolf Hunter (still not anywhere near where it was before outfits though). Since Murkmire the performance has been absolutely terrible especially during the new life festival so I would really appreciate for them to tone down the graphics a notch to give us speed or give us the option for some settings to boost fps which would smooth out game play.
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    IonicKai wrote: »
    When they first released the enhanced update to support Xbox 1X it was buttery smooth. After the patch that allowed outfits performance took a nose dive but got somewhat better during wolf Hunter (still not anywhere near where it was before outfits though). Since Murkmire the performance has been absolutely terrible especially during the new life festival so I would really appreciate for them to tone down the graphics a notch to give us speed or give us the option for some settings to boost fps which would smooth out game play.

I would even Play without any Shadow, water reflection and in 720 and half the Draw distance If IT would be just 60fps..