The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Hybrid builds viable?

Stx
Stx
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hello all. I am a fairly new player and I'm just starting to experiment with build ideas.

Most guides I have seen for optimal pve builds are strictly stamina or magicka. But I was wondering if hybrid builds are viable in any Avenue of the game.

The shacklebreaker and innate axiom sets are intriguing to me because they seem at first glance to be very over budget, but only if you make use of both stamina and magicka class abilities. Add to that prism enchants on the large armor pieces and triune jewelry and potentially you could have a lot of extra stats and a decent health pool too.

I was thinking of trying to make a hybrid templar build, because I love two hand stamina dps, but I also like being able to cast heals and extended ritual. Anyway it just sounds fun.

Does anyone have any info or advice on this?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viable for what?

Quick explanation: your weapon damage scales off max stamina, and your spell damage increases from max magicka, hence the meta of going all stamina or all magicka. That's also why most hybrid builds use Pelinal's Aptitude, to even out weapon amd spell damage a little better.

Now, viability.

It depends. What do you want to do?

PVP? You'll have to build to use both pools and you'll probably be less effectice than a meta build. However, PVP comes down to player experience more than most other gameplay types, so if you are skilled, you can often compensate.

PVE?

Well, what role? What level of content?

Harder levels of content will require more meta builds unless you are very skilled/experienced. The more experienced you are, the more flexibility there is.

Just questing? Rock on. Totally viable.

Dungeons? If you do healer or tank, you'll need to practice. If trials, you may need to prove to groupmates you can do it.

For Damage Dealer, you'll need to test your DPS. As a general rule, I've found that normal dungeons can be done with 10-15k DPS, with higher numbers making for easier clears. Vet Dungeons are closer to 15k+, especially the DLCs. Trials depend on how much DPS your group wants.

So test your DPS on a training dummy or with an addon and see what you get/how your sustain is.

Hope that helps.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrids will be viable for top tier content some day ... but that day isn't today.

In the meantime, there is some good reading in the forums on players that have had (semi-) success with it.

Besides this link below, you can also do a simple search in the forums:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/448706/hybrid-sorcerer-opinion
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanks are pretty much hybrids because they use both pools to get their job done.

However, healing and damage are based on stats and CP. Hybrids need to split those stats making each less effective and less viable.

As the poster above indicated, PvP allows for something different and there are some hybrid players that have found some success.

Also, solo play you can easily do what you want, what you find fun. It is really only with group play where others are counting on you that effective ness matters.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorry I should have specified. I am mostly talking about dungeons, and I hadn't considered the role. Probably the tank or healer slot. I am also interested in solo world content but I understand that most builds work there even if they suck.

I hadn't even seen pelinals set, that's very interesting. I was mostly interested in hybrids because it fits the archetype of class I like to play and I saw those double resource sets and triple stat enchants and traits.

I was just wondering if it was possible to make a useful hybrid build. If it's not I dont want to waste my time/gold or bring down my groups.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no real reason to go hybrid with a healer as there is only one heal that has no morph that uses magicka. There are a couple heals that can use stamina, Vigor from AvA and at least one Warden heal has as stam morph.

Solo play, again, it is what you like since if fights take longer or you die no one is affected.

I do not understand how archetype of any class affects being a hybrid or pure build. That does not make sense in and of itself.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I haven't tried tanking yet so I think I'll stick to pure stamina dps for now. Thanks for the info everyone.

As for the archetype, I meant a crusader type class that mainly deals damage with a big two hander but also has skills in magic usually healing or undead slaying.
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    As for the archetype, I meant a crusader type class that mainly deals damage with a big two hander but also has skills in magic usually healing or undead slaying.

The issues would be, off the top of my head:
    • 2-handed weapons are powered by stamina. So, if you split your pools, mathematically-speaking, your damage is automatically lower. Again, if solo, it doesn't matter a lick; group-play, it begins to matter.
    • The theme of magic skills is fairly consistent regardless of the source. I mean, stamina skills can still look like a magic 'spell.'
    • There is no 'undead slaying,' per se. ESO makes no distinction in how you kill them, only that each kill results in XP gain for Fighters' Guild!