The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Do you find magdks wanted in trials??

Tasear
Tasear
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Such a Magdk DPS or mag dk healer?
Edited by Tasear on October 20, 2018 3:04PM
  • troomar
    troomar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I knew one magDK once. He gave up.
    Yes.
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Engulfing flames is wanted, so if you run with non-dk tanks, sure, 1 mag dk will be wanted.

Outside of this...
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asmael wrote: »
    Engulfing flames is wanted, so if you run with non-dk tanks, sure, 1 mag dk will be wanted.

Outside of this...

What do you think of the other unique skills like Igneous weapons?
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For those high-end, top-tier, uber-optimized trials groups... well, I can't really speak to that, because I'm not eligible for -- nor interested in -- that scene.

But for your average trial runners, who just want to clear content and have a good time (read: normal, cool people), anyone with good dps and survivability is welcome. Which mDKs can have plenty of. I've rather enjoyed my runs on magDK (as a dps), and have seen more-than-adequate DK healers, too.

Often, the only thing that makes them a "liability" of any kind is the range limitation; having a magicka dps take up a melee slot isn't ideal if you have too many already.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the last time I did a trial with my mDK I was asked to bring either a Stam melee or anything else. So yea. That sums it up. From that point on I main a mNB now. That was 8 months ago. Nothing has changed too much to really use them when another can outperform them so easily. sadly

• Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the last time I did a trial with my mDK I was asked to bring either a Stam melee or anything else. So yea. That sums it up. From that point on I main a mNB now. That was 8 months ago. Nothing has changed too much to really use them when another can outperform them so easily. sadly

Do you wish you could bring your Magdk more often or it was requested?
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

I don't get why specific that skill.

Wouldn't most high end users use pots to keep an uptime on Major spell/wep dmg as with alchemist passive its better correct?
    Wouldn't most PuG/casual raiders likely not care?

It just kinda doesn't fit into each category. Sure, I guess if you have one for a random casual raid its alright, but its not like anyone is going to feel that they are "missing" something since its achievable in so many ways:

Sorcery - Mage guild active if you don't use pots <various class skills>
    Brutality - Hidden Blade - Various class skills

The only time is if you have people that
    A: Don't want to use pots
    B: Don't want to slot the extra skills and use DK as a buffer.

However most likely if they care about the dmg at all where its needed they put the money for the potions already.
    Edited by karekiz on October 20, 2018 9:28PM
  • troomar
    troomar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Igneous weapons would be cool if it gave a minor buff.
    Yes.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    troomar wrote: »
    Igneous weapons would be cool if it gave a minor buff.

It does. If you have the passives unlocked for the Earthen Heart skill line, casting Igneous Weapons grants nearby allies Minor Brutality.
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started as a magdk on eso. After being constantly berated and criticized for running magdk I switched it over to a stamdk and was rewarded with a significant increase to dps and survival immediately. Just poorly designed as a dps
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @GreenHere , @Tasear , I just wrote about it in different thread. Thing about Igneous is, it's too 'selfless' about what it gives. It benefits the group (gives Minor Brutality and replaces potions), but it requires sacrifice on the part of DPS - if one DK in the group runs it (and I fear it'll be tank as usual), it won't benefit other DKs to run it, they'll do better by unslotting it.

ZOS wants classes to contribute buffs to be wanted, but thing is, Savagery (given by NBs) only requires to do critical damage with skill slotted (and it's not a wasted slot, it's best execute in the game), while Brutality requires DK to alter rotation to actively use a skill that would benefit them most... if somebody else ran it, not them.
  • Grind_Zilla
    Grind_Zilla
    ✭✭
    yea magdks are very usefull specialy now with the new impulse buff up and set from prison arena, , specialy pure healer dk , witch is very fun healing class to play , as u bring alot of nice to the grp table.

this one enjoys it very mutch ^^,
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    long answer: nooo
    short answer: no
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea magdks are very usefull specialy now with the new impulse buff up and set from prison arena, , specialy pure healer dk , witch is very fun healing class to play , as u bring alot of nice to the grp table.

this one enjoys it very mutch ^^,

How so?
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MagDK is poo. Bring a warden. JK.

Mostly just looking for warm bodies with mild substance between the ears. Bring whatever you want. My guilds are constantly doing coffer runs. Bring a different toon every night. Just be like cp 160 in case you find the legendary AY Dagger or moonwalker Frost Staff.

Wait, Is this a Necro thread?
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    MagDK is poo. Bring a warden. JK.

Mostly just looking for warm bodies with mild substance between the ears. Bring whatever you want. My guilds are constantly doing coffer runs. Bring a different toon every night. Just be like cp 160 in case you find the legendary AY Dagger or moonwalker Frost Staff.

Wait, Is this a Necro thread?

noes it is a class rep thread looking at concerns <3
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think you’d be hard pressed to find many DK healers until there’s some kind of new meta setup that would make them exponentially better than anything else.

It seems a relatively unexplored option.

I only know a few MagDK players and for them, that’s like their only toon they have to play. So that’s what they bring.

I played MagDK for a minute. Never felt excluded from anything with it.

Most the time I play my warden. Because they have a bad reputation. So it’s like deliberately playing the underdog so people can see it’s not really that bad.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I got a friend that got her first vAS +2 clear on a DK healer as the tank kiter. I imagine the stam sustain from battle roar is nice, especially while learning. Also the abilty to burst heal with Cauterize while being overwhelmed with mechanics can be clutch. This is a pretty niche situation and I wouldn't say they are ideal for score runs, but it worked for our progression.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only PUGged normal trials, and as you would expect at that level, nobody cares. However, I don't bring my magDK. It still has the most achievement points of all my characters, but has stayed on the shelf for well over a year (maybe two) since a now-unremembered major nerf made it under-perform.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As long as I can meet the melee DPS required for my guild I can bring a Magicka DK... If you aren't meeting the DPS required by your group with a Magicka DK, then you should practice your rotation more...

That said, I prefer stamina builds right now because resource management is easier than on a Magicka DK.
    Playing since beta...
  • royo
    royo
    ✭✭✭
    Given that many score groups are eliminating as many mag dps as possible from full length trials, I'm not even sure engulfing is going to be a thing in places like HoF.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been playing mDK since launch. I’m still “allowed” to bring mine to vet trials (when my stamplar is on cooldown) because I’ve proven that as a player I’m not a liability. But I fall short of 40k dps in many boss fights, making any class but a mWarden a better choice.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    I’ve been playing mDK since launch. I’m still “allowed” to bring mine to vet trials (when my stamplar is on cooldown) because I’ve proven that as a player I’m not a liability. But I fall short of 40k dps in many boss fights, making any class but a mWarden a better choice.

@Reverb What build are you using? You could sit at 50k+...
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • Noldornir
    Noldornir
    ✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

Outside of this...

I run 2 DKs (tank-mDD) and Igneous weapon is hardly needed. Most DDs have that buff already on so they won't benefit from it. I run it in dungeons to save money but in a trial i'd go for spell power potions. To get the minor brutality (which is more wanted) u need ANY earthen earth ability and you'll probably want it to be Eruption since it's one of your main source of damage.

Inferno and it's morph are cool tho since u can avoid to dual slot inner light (same buff while slotted).

mDK needs an execute (stam can use weapon execute in bot 2h or DW), both molten whip morph and stonefist are of little use imho, could go (but i'd give molten a stam-morph and rework stonefist completely to be an execute).

No use to have 2 source of stun with CC immunity.

Yet there's nothing wrong in going in a trial (beside other ppl ignorance). Sometimes could be welcome in vMoL-no reform to help with chains.

Another issue is regen, all DK skills are rly expensive if compared to other classes.
    Edited by Noldornir on November 30, 2018 3:37PM
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For DD, it all resumes on how much dps can you deal.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • humpalicous
    humpalicous
    ✭✭✭
    Visermmy wrote: »

Outside of this...

Igneous can be replicated through pots and other skills.
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whip is strong in PVP, but it should be reworked anyway, so it's not stronger, but feels better to use. Maybe a better proc requirement than off-balance, and the dps buff on the other morph is a joke - spell critical (or crit dmg multiplier) would be more interesting, because mag dk lacks it, or a mag rec addition, maybe some magicka steal. Molten Armaments needs to be buffed, like a Magicka Rec addition (similar to Rune Focus on templar, Dark Deal on Sorc, Leeching Strikes on nightblade) for the magicka morph and a light attack buff for the stam morph.

Stonefist? I never used it, I only train it for leveling and after hitting 50 in every class skill I reset it... Did so on Stam DK, Tank DK and Mag DK.

Currently I am running Silks of the Sun + BSW + Grothdar, hitting 37k dps self-buffed on the 6M dummy. (I think it was 38k dps with Zaan.) (In 4 man groups with an actual healer with good uptime on Olorime and Combat Prayer it's more like 45-50k on tank & spank fights.) This would be AFAIK good enough for any end game vet content with non-meta gear.
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a magDK and played most vet content in the game without a problem (only vCR+3 is missing). I've never done score runs with it, but I'm not interested in that part since that community are waaay to serious about a game for me. I pull off 55k+ dmg using bsw, maelstrom inferno, grothdarr's and destruction mastery set.

And I've never heard anyone *** about me using a magDK in any trial or dungeon. So I've never understood the fuss about magdk
  • SvariBK
    SvariBK
    ✭✭
    There are better singletarget melee dps classes than magdks, all other buffs than engulfing are not unique so a dk tank is perfectly fine and makes a mdk not needed. I myself play a magdk and honestly playing it still works everywhere. Only highscore hunters will tell you to switch. If you play just for the sake of playing you will be fine, although I prefer playing ranged in general but I love my mdk. Well and Dk healer is just ridiculous. Healers are supposed to provide not only healing, the healing from mag dk is not bad but Warden sorcs and templar provide more utility
    BK-22 PC EU Player
    Tank & DD
  • BooPerScOOper
    BooPerScOOper
    ✭✭✭
    They're fine... A person in my guild runs one..
    Scraped from a stream from last nights vAA run..
    https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/499970190239465474/530469138498453514/4et5xt.PNG?width=634&height=632

Edited by BooPerScOOper on January 3, 2019 7:37PM