Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Unpopular request incoming ...

SugaComa
SugaComa
✭✭✭✭✭
We all know we have issues with server lag, and I feel that as numbers in ESO drop ZoS reduce the number of servers to cut costs ...

I think we are at s point now where we need to close down some campaigns

So here is my proposal ... I'm unsure the population on some campaigns so may not work but I think it's worth looking into

Essentially we merge NA and EU servers on the three platforms (not cross play)

So we have vivec shor and sotha sil. 3 campaigns

But the same campaign if you're on EU and NA this will solve two issues

One more servers running for the campaign to help reduce load

Prevent night capping as both regions will have prime times on multiple time zones bringing greater balance to the campaigns

• Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks.

Why? Because where would the server physically be to have equal game performance for both regions.. i leave it at that.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Due to how the OP was worded I am going to state what I think is being said before I state my response. The OP is kind of muddy.

I think OP is suggesting closing down all three EU servers (PC/Mac and both consoles) and have EU deal with higher latency which is both detrimental to PvP and PvE.

I do not understand the mention of various PvP campaigns since each can require more than one physical server during peak times.

Regardless, none of this makes sense in the context of server lag which OP opens with.

I do not have the number of players or servers hardware costs involved as Zos keeps that pretty close to their vest. They have already made moves to reduce the physical hardware requirements. After all, that was the real reason we can all quest together regardless of faction. Each server mostly ran as three separate servers until then.

I do not think Zos will merge NA and EU due to the latency issue. They will likely see an exodus of some EU players due to additional lag. We are aware of the lag they experienced during the early weeks of this game on live since EU server was in NA at launch.

If I misunderstand what OP is speaking of then my bad. I did my best but as always, idk.
    Edited by idk on December 22, 2018 10:21AM
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To answer both your questions

Merge the campaigns on to the same server

Do to time people play latency wouldn't be much of an issue

NA tends to play while people on the EU sleep and vice a versa ... Merging them helps with stopping night capping.

You see on the EU server night capping is done by American, New Zealand and Australian players playing on EU server

Also by merging them instead of having say 20 server for each you'd have 40 for the same campaign which would help with lag with a few tweaks to the net code ... The server lag reduction or hope of it is simply a by product of fixing the night capping issues
    Edited by SugaComa on December 22, 2018 11:44PM
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that would be one way to trade gear between servers. I wonder if that would be good or bad?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    To answer both your questions

Merge the campaigns on to the same server

Do to time people play latency wouldn't be much of an issue

NA tends to play while people on the EU sleep and vice a versa ... Merging them helps with stopping night capping.

You see on the EU server night capping is done by American, New Zealand and Australian players playing on EU server

Also by merging them instead of having say 20 server for each you'd have 40 for the same campaign which would help with lag with a few tweaks to the net code ... The server lag reduction or hope of it is simply a by product of fixing the night capping issues

I do not think you understand or you are in North America and realize this suggestion would not harm you in the least.

First, There is only 5 hours difference in time between NY and London. That means Europe and NA both have players active in Cyrodiil at the same time. Especially on weekends. So you are wrong that they do not play at the same time.

Second, players really do not like playing with higher latency. So not much of an issue from the NA perspective.

Lastly, the part I put in bold is a huge assumption unless you have well informed knowledge of the server design Zos uses for Cyrodiil. More importantly, the lag tends to hit most when a given area is heavily populated which (guessing here) is the limitations of a given physical or virtual server and cannot be divided further which is why the issue persists.

If adding more servers was the solution to Cyrodiil lag Zos would have done that long ago since that is a pretty cheap solution.

It is great to think of ideas. However, this idea harms half the player base with higher latency and the benefit is based on an assumption that probably is incorrect.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok ... So I've not actually thought this through in its entirety

I'm just fed up of the fact on PS4 EU you can't do anything in vivec cos AD controls most of the map n when you get s chance to play your hit by an aposing zerg due to it being now off peak for AD ...

Then you have shor ... Same problem only it's reds campaigns are unbalanced and we can't have faction locked servers but honestly they don't work cos most players will pick the faction most likely to win

Yellow vivec
    Red shor

No one plays blue anymore

Randomised teaming like BG ... Great for balance not great for players who are faction loyal ... Won't be implemented

So I'm trying to think of something that could fix multiple issues in one solution

This was one of those sat on the loo revelation ideas

Some needs to do something though as the game is becoming less fun in cyrodil everyday ... BG may need a overhaul too to allow big groups

My other idea was 24 man teams in cyrodil for a 4 hour campaign
  • MerlinPendragon
    MerlinPendragon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leave only Vivec and Shor. Close the others
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure about the technical issues but merging these servers would offer new possibilities and challenges. Wish I had had energy to level up an EU toon also. If not for my friend I most likely would have played EU. NA has been great experience though. What kind of open world allies and enemies there would be if these different guilds and people had to face ech other in Cyrodiil.
    Edited by Minnesinger on January 5, 2019 9:08AM
    The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
  • DarkMasterJMK
    DarkMasterJMK
    ✭✭✭
    Well it is hotly speculated right now that ALL Cyrodiil Campaigns will be removed with the release of the next Chapter and that Cyrodiil will be converted to PvE zones.

I'm not sure how true this speculation is, though. They may or may not end PvP Cyrodiil.
    Edited by DarkMasterJMK on January 6, 2019 7:27PM
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it is hotly speculated right now that ALL Cyrodiil Campaigns will be removed with the release of the next Chapter and that Cyrodiil will be converted to PvE zones.

I'm not sure how true this speculation is, though. They may or may not end PvP Cyrodiil.

That's totally bollocks ... And if it is true I'm done with ESO
  • DarkMasterJMK
    DarkMasterJMK
    ✭✭✭

I'm hoping it's not true, but it's looking suspicious that PvP Cyrodiil could be on the chopping block given the datamining about the end of the Three Banners War as well as the Midyear Mayhem Encore coming up soon, the italicized word possibly suggesting that this upcoming Midyear Mayhem event will be the last one they do.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping it's not true, but it's looking suspicious that PvP Cyrodiil could be on the chopping block given the datamining about the end of the Three Banners War as well as the Midyear Mayhem Encore coming up soon, the italicized word possibly suggesting that this upcoming Midyear Mayhem event will be the last one they do.

Or as I posted in that thread ... We know necromancers are coming maybe Abnormal thinks he can bring back his father to rule the imperials and end the war ... Only it fails but we learn how to be necromancers
  • Anrose
    Anrose
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s hotly speculated by people who don’t think things with their brains before typing things with their fingers.

Ending the war would have larger ramifications on the entire rest of the game. In a story driven MMO, they can’t just remove the plot device surrounding all 15 vanilla zones, the starter zones, Coldharbour, and the main story without completely rewriting and re-recording it all. It’s not gonna happen.
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One problem though

What if someone on EU and NA have the same character name ? It wouldn't work, thats why the PTS does cycles to stop this from happening