The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Are traits retained when swapping bars ?

FluttershySux
Hey,

Pretty much what the title says. If I place a DoT such as Wall of Elements and then bar swap, would trait of the weapon I used to cast Wall of Elements be carried over, or would I be using my current weapon's trait instead ? I'm asking in specific about the charged trait, however additional info would be of use also. I know the charged trait is utilised on some healers with a lightning staff, but would I need to stay on my backbar in order to benefit from the increase chance to apply status effects ? Any testing I've done on this has been pretty inconsistent, so any help would be appreciated !
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each tick off damage is calculated on the bar you are on. So you need to be using your charged weapon to have the increased chance of applying status effects, even if the ability was cast on your other bar.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some general info that might be helpful:

For ground DoTs (eg. Blockade) & PBAoEs (eg. Blade Cloak), every damage tick gets updated to your current max resource + wep/spell dmg stats.

For sticky DoTs, max resource + wep/spell dmg is instead "snapshotted" when applied to the target, and subsequent ticks scale-off these stats.

Penetration, and crit is updated on each tick in both cases.

Infused seems to innately buff its associated glyph, and therefore doesn't need to be your active bar to function

Therefore, based on these rules:
    • Nirnhoned doesn't carry-over for ground & PBAoE, but does for sticky
    • Sharpened never carries-over
    • Precise never carries-over
    • Infused always carries-over

As for Charged specifically I am unsure. Historically it didn't carry-over, but I haven't tested in the current patch and these things are always liable to change (for instance, ZOS sneaked-in an adjustment to penetration behaviour sometime around WH/Murk which wasn't mentioned in the notes at all!).

Would be keen to know if anyone has info regarding Charged.
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • StytchFingal
    StytchFingal
    ✭✭✭
    @TheYKcid
    If you mean the 100 base penetration we all used to have, that was removed with Murkmire and was specifically mentioned in the patch notes.
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 x infused for the win
    PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @TheYKcid
    If you mean the 100 base penetration we all used to have, that was removed with Murkmire and was specifically mentioned in the patch notes.

@StytchFingal

No, not that, that one was in the patch notes and I was aware of that.

What I'm referring to is how penetration interacts with barswaps. It used to be that your penetration value for a DoT skill was "snapshotted" upon the first tick of said DoT, and would be retained even if you swapped to your other bar with more/less penetration.

That was ninja changed sometime during WH/Murk, and now penetration always updates upon barswap in all cases.
    Edited by TheYKcid on December 23, 2018 7:00AM
  • StytchFingal
    StytchFingal
    ✭✭✭
    @TheYKcid

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of that; guess I haven't been playing enough since Murkmire to notice (not because of Murkmire, because of rl time). Thank you for the clarification.
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    @TheYKcid

@StytchFingal

No, not that, that one was in the patch notes and I was aware of that.

What I'm referring to is how penetration interacts with barswaps. It used to be that your penetration value for a DoT skill was "snapshotted" upon the first tick of said DoT, and would be retained even if you swapped to your other bar with more/less penetration.

That was ninja changed sometime during WH/Murk, and now penetration always updates upon barswap in all cases.

So if I have spriggan's DW on the front and a vMA bow on the back bar, will endless hail get the pen buff from spriggans when I swap to the front bar? I know I still need to let the first tick go on the back bar in order to get the skill buff from the bow.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Colecovision

Yep, your backbar Volley will gain the extra pen from Spriggan once you swap to frontbar. It updates dynamically now. That also means you'll lose the pen once you're on the backbar again.