The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Hybrid Questions/Help!?

generalmyrick
generalmyrick
✭✭✭✭✭
What's the idea behind a hybrid build?

I was running night mothers and pelinals as i was levelling with a lightning staff and it was wrecking in pve and bgs. But i just through that together...

what are the goals or concepts behind successful hybrid builds?
"The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Typically, you'll want to stack enough double effects to aid you. That's my shorthand for effects such as lover or thief stones, Pelinal's, and one handed swords/lightning/flame staff passives that simultaneously aid both resource pools' forms of damage.

When I build my hybrids I tend to focus one pool (usually stamina) and work on getting the second pool up enough to be consistently good. This entails stacking weapon damage with Pelinal's on my set, my enchants, and my jewelry. This leaves me with goals to get both major savagery AND prophecy, and major brutality (since Pelinal's lets you just focus one damage pool).

But broadly? Goal is fun.
    Edited by DocFrost72 on December 22, 2018 12:09AM
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was running night mothers and pelinals as i was levelling with a lightning staff and it was wrecking in pve and bgs. But i just through that together...

on a ????????? NB, Sorc, DK, Warden, Temp...mix of all...mix of 2..3...4...5...???? See where I am going with this..... :wink:

And, as a basic rule "hybrids" don't work to well because your damage is rolled up into your attributes..i.e. magicka or stamina. Is why you see most if not all dps builds put ALL points into one or the other....raw damage boost. Extra health or whatever is generally made up from enchants, and enchants have gotten stronger with Murkmire, or so I have heard.
    Edited by Joxer61 on December 22, 2018 12:18AM
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    templar

5-5-2
    "The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    see above comment about hybrids.... ;)

https://www.xynodegaming.com/off-balance-templar

https://www.xynodegaming.com/simplar

and you are no stranger to the Forums so I reckon you know all this already.....but yea, Hybrids can work but usually end up not very strong in the long haul. Like I said, with enchants and food and such you can bump up your health or whatever you want to a decent amount. I guess the only "true" hybrid build would be a tank, as many times they try and throw a few points into stam or mag...so yea.
    Edited by Joxer61 on December 22, 2018 12:28AM
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    Typically, you'll want to stack enough double effects to aid you. That's my shorthand for effects such as lover or thief stones, Pelinal's, and one handed swords/lightning/flame staff passives that simultaneously aid both resource pools' forms of damage.

When I build my hybrids I tend to focus one pool (usually stamina) and work on getting the second pool up enough to be consistently good. This entails stacking weapon damage with Pelinal's on my set, my enchants, and my jewelry. This leaves me with goals to get both major savagery AND prophecy, and major brutality (since Pelinal's lets you just focus one damage pool).

@DocFrost72

could you post a very simple example of something you have found effective/fun? :-)

just so i can see what it looks like?

• Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »

on a ????????? NB, Sorc, DK, Warden, Temp...mix of all...mix of 2..3...4...5...???? See where I am going with this..... :wink:

And, as a basic rule "hybrids" don't work to well because your damage is rolled up into your attributes..i.e. magicka or stamina. Is why you see most if not all dps builds put ALL points into one or the other....raw damage boost. Extra health or whatever is generally made up from enchants, and enchants have gotten stronger with Murkmire, or so I have heard.

Gotta love posts like this that offer the same "advice" heard over a million times.
    Edited by Sevn on December 22, 2018 12:43AM
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sevn wrote: »

Gotta love posts like this that offer the same "advice" heard over a million times.

yea well having never done a hybrid I was/am no help but good to see some others have had success at it so maybe he will find what he is looking for! ;)
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah, play nice!

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea well having never done a hybrid I was/am no help but good to see some others have had success at it so maybe he will find what he is looking for! ;)

Has never played a hybrid, posts in a hybrid thread telling people that they can't play hybrids ...
    confused24.gif
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭

SirAndy wrote: »

Has never played a hybrid, posts in a hybrid thread telling people that they can't play hybrids ...
    confused24.gif

yup, and will do it again, and other stupid *** if I so feel like it....and I never said he cant play it.. not once...only gave an opinion as to what I have heard or have dealt with so yea.....but as long as you feel like you put me in my place.....world is safe again.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah, play nice!

oh its all nice...no aggro here...all good!! :wink:
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For PVE DPS, Hybrid Sorc is eons ahead of anything else. A huge part of this reason is because survivability & damage is coupled into one skill (hurricane) and survivability & major brut/sorc in another (power surge) which significantly cuts down on bar space which is a massive issue on hybrids. This ends up being critical as it allows you to utilize the double crit pots (savagery/prophecy). With that said, other's work for damage but not anywhere near as well.

There are two general ways to build a hybrid - mag primary (light armor, staff front bar, bow back bar) or stam primary (medium armor, dw/2h front bar, staff back bar). Of those two, stam primary is really the only one doable at the moment due entirely to mag sustain gained from lightning heavies & ele drain being far superior to that of Bow heavies & utter reliance on shards.

In regards to gearing, the gearing concept is simple. If you are in light armor pump up your spell damage then even out your stats the best you can (I use Inner Light & Bound armaments to create a differential on my front and back bars that allow me to tune which resource I get when I use a orb/shard). Medium armor obviously wants weapon damage and then even out your stats the best you can.

You can't really invest too much into crit as it will provide you the absolute worst damage increase.
    Edited by usmcjdking on December 22, 2018 5:20AM
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    insert favorite John Snow meme cuz it looks like it fits...for me!! ;)
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah, play nice!

It's a struggle to do so whenever you encounter someone who downplays something they themselves have never tried, based solely on hearsay. Sorcs make fantastic hybrids. I took a lot of heat from a similar topic when all I did was state how successful my hybrid sorc was running in BG'S. Dude had never even tried to play one but just kept regurgitating the same ole same, hybrids don't work, you should run what every other sorc dps runs. That crap gets old.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah, play nice!

It's a struggle to do so whenever you encounter someone who downplays something they themselves have never tried, based solely on hearsay. Sorcs make fantastic hybrids. I took a lot of heat from a similar topic when all I did was state how successful my hybrid sorc was running in BG'S. Dude had never even tried to play one but just kept regurgitating the same ole same, hybrids don't work, you should run what every other sorc dps runs. That crap gets old.

yo crybaby…..you went there. I not once said NEVER so stop putting words in my mouth.....I can insert foot just fine by myself. i said I don't play hybrid and gave info based on what I heard, me...my opinion, my comment, my reply.. Instead of coming in and having a go at someone why not offer up some help if you have it and leave it at that? I didn't once downplay it either so yea, chill mate. Wow, you got caught up in your own amount of BS you couldn't/cant see past your face. I also stated no aggro was coming from me...."wasn't", until you piped in. I also admit my own faults thus the John Snow reference...and in case that was too deep for you I was referring to the "You know nothing" and applying it to me, so again you fail. Also I never mentioned Sorc or Sorc builds cuz the OP is Templar..so again a miss by you. With so many screw ups and such maybe its not me to whom you are referring? Because if it is you are way off. So on the off chance its not I apologize for the rant...otherwise it stands as is.
    Edited by Joxer61 on December 22, 2018 8:00AM
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From a PvP perspective...

Well, for one with a hybrid build you can cover up the weaknesses of a pure build and lose next to nothing. I'm sure we've all been in a situation where a second set seems wasteful or unnoticeable, if that's the case for you try going hybrid. At the very least if you are bored of the same stale gameplay experience, you won't find it boring!

The best part is that you don't need Pelenials to do so anymore depending on what you want and try to achieve. Some of these hybrids are far stronger than pure builds IMO, esp. if it complements all of your weaknesses.

If you are going to build a hybrid, keep in mind that it will take time to find the best build for you. Some of the sets people call trash will suddenly become considerable, some of the decisions that seemed dumb like running a poison enchant on an inferno staff will suddenly become worthwhile, some of your class skills you'd never slot on a pure build will be on your bar competing with other skills.

It won't be an easy "slap this on and go owning" experience, because you do have to play it differently from a pure build and find the right balance between healing, damage, sustain, and enjoyment! If you play CP PvP, you also have to find the right CP distribution for you... Don't be like me and test it on live, that will make you broke!

My opinion:

Best Hybrid: Templar (only because of the healing, savagery on jabs, crit damage, etc. but DK is not too far)
    Best Ez Hybrid: DK (easiest to use)
    Best Hybrid with Potential: Sorc (takes skill and time to find a build that you like, but when you do...)
    Best Hybrid for Trolling/Secretly Broken: NB (classified)
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

@DocFrost72

could you post a very simple example of something you have found effective/fun? :-)

just so i can see what it looks like?

Sure thing.

I used to run hybridplars and hybrid sorc. A great example of the sorc was to run

5 pelinal's (3 body and weapons),
    5 storm master (2 body, 3 jewelry),
    2 stormfist (kena can work, but it wreaks havoc with mag sustain)

You'll want 5 medium for more weapon damage, dual swords up front with bow or lightning staff back bar.

Dw: Bloodthirst/flying blade, rending slashes, haunting curse, rearming trap, steel tornado, ULT: Flawless dawnbreaker.

AND one of the following:

Bow: Liquid Lightning, poison injection, endless hail, hurricane, critical surge, ULT: greater atronach.

OR

Staff: Liquid lightning, wall of storms, dark conversion, lightning clench, crit surge, ULT: greater atronach.

In either situation you'll want to either set yourself up with crit potions or substitute inner light somewhere and run crit-damage-stam potions. For attributes, it's really going to take fine tuning based on your rotation, race, and enchants. I suggest shooting for tri stat food and then doing big pieces stam, little pieces magicka for body enchants (cheaper and sacrifices health, which trust me...You'll have a lot extra of). You'll want to make sure that your weapons are either infused with good enchants (backbar magicka restore is are good plan) or sharpened.

Is this helpful?
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    From a PvP perspective...

If you are going to build a hybrid, keep in mind that it will take time to find the best build for you. Some of the sets people call trash will suddenly become considerable, some of the decisions that seemed dumb like running a poison enchant on an inferno staff will suddenly become worthwhile, some of your class skills you'd never slot on a pure build will be on your bar competing with other skills.

Way of Fire is one of those sets that are usually bad, but that become somewhat strong in a hybrid. Healthy jewelryis always nice.

Old Red Mountain was another great option.

Regarding monster sets, Slimecraw is too good to ignore it as it provide extra crit on both, spell and weapon. Sets that do dmg also are interesting (From Skoria to Zaan).

In any case, you must be clear about one thing, it is not the same to build a Direct Damage hybrid than a DoT Hybrid. Those points in MoA or Thaum must be as high a possible.
    Edited by Xvorg on December 22, 2018 7:05PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah, play nice!

yo crybaby…..you went there. I not once said NEVER so stop putting words in my mouth.....I can insert foot just fine by myself. i said I don't play hybrid and gave info based on what I heard, me...my opinion, my comment, my reply.. Instead of coming in and having a go at someone why not offer up some help if you have it and leave it at that? I didn't once downplay it either so yea, chill mate. Wow, you got caught up in your own amount of BS you couldn't/cant see past your face. I also stated no aggro was coming from me...."wasn't", until you piped in. I also admit my own faults thus the John Snow reference...and in case that was too deep for you I was referring to the "You know nothing" and applying it to me, so again you fail. Also I never mentioned Sorc or Sorc builds cuz the OP is Templar..so again a miss by you. With so many screw ups and such maybe its not me to whom you are referring? Because if it is you are way off. So on the off chance its not I apologize for the rant...otherwise it stands as is.

If my comment was directed towards you, you'd know it. I clearly stated I was speaking of a previous interaction. If you don't believe in them, why are you here in the first place? I'm here to learn MORE about hybrids. Whatever, this is pointless and detrimental to the thread.

Good day.
    Edited by Sevn on December 22, 2018 9:24PM
    -Hemingway
  • SkysOutThizeOut
    SkysOutThizeOut
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Sevn I’m amazed no one has figured out or stumbled onto my comment that really explains what makes a hybrid work.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sevn I’m amazed no one has figured out or stumbled onto my comment that really explains what makes a hybrid work.

Would you mind directing me towards it? I'd love to learn as much as possible about hybrids. Hate playing like everyone else in these games.
    -Hemingway