The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What aren't houses physically limited?

Fextina
Fextina
Soul Shriven
This is perhaps not a popular topic around here, but wouldn't it be more interesting if the houses were physically limited in the game universe?

The game can accommodate residential zones of various class (poor to super rich) and houses can be part of the economy. They are always taxed so if the player abandons the game or doesn't play for a long time, then the house goes back to the game where it is available for resell. There is also a regular upkeep fee depending on the size/class of the house.

While technically challenging, I think it would make housing a whole lot more interesting than it is now. Of course there is the issue of scaling this to accommodate to the number of users that could perhaps be interested in the grind aspect of the game.

Let the player based economy drive the housing prices up/down with time. This scenarios would be a LOT more interesting than just "this one house is magically the same for everyone".
  • Azriael2
    Azriael2
    ✭✭✭
    A big no. If I remember correctly, Aion had same thing, house prices were around 100m+ and none of them were empty. In ESO, not only you spend a lot of money for houses, but also for furniture to being able to be creative. Also, this would cut crown store houses. Stop trying to limit us more, furniture limit is enough.
    "Rise, red as the dawn."
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
  • Vahlyance
    Vahlyance
    ✭✭✭
    D e l e t e - t h i s

For real this time.
    『-Astra inclinant, sed non obligant.-』
  • DarknDarker
    DarknDarker
    ✭✭✭
    pretty sure this wold kill housing big time. hard no from me
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GFHYZex.gif
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Housing is not something that most people want to be challenging. Housing is a break from challenging content and is instead the one opportunity we have to be really creative and put a personal spin on a space that we can make our own. Housing is where most of my guildies go and play after we've done hard content, to socialize and fiddle around and collaborate on decorating (or ERP, probably). Making it less available would kill that.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No no to the no no
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FpGvOnx.gif
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Terrible idea.
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely one of the worst ideas I have ever seen on this forums.

269.gif
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literally the worst idea I've EVER seen on here. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits for even suggesting it.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It would perhaps be interesting, from a social experiment point of view, but I doubt it would work.

I think you would need to set up a dedicated (extremely large) MMO housing simulator game to be like that, from the start, for this idea to have even a chance of working.

As you would need huge maps in general and huge towns and cities, in particular, full of houses and apartments of every size and type (which you could then add to, if and when necessary), to make sure there were enough to go around, without increasingly insane house prices.

Otherwise, you would end up with the situation we have in the UK, at the moment.

Where, due to decades of gangster economics, the selling off (and intentional non-replacement) of social housing and the failure to build enough housing in general, house prices are through the roof (pun duly noted) and people are either in massive debt, for a hovel, or unable to buy anything at all.

The only people owning anything they got for even a half reasonable price (before this madness was fully imposed on us) being well over 70, by now.

The game equivalent of that, of course, being super-rich original players owning multiple mansions, they got for a song; vs homeless newer players, without the means for even a small apartment.
    Edited by Tigerseye on December 22, 2018 4:25PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Literally the worst idea I've EVER seen on here. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits for even suggesting it.

I don't think it's a terrible idea, in general (in fact, it's really quite interesting!) - I just don't see how it could work in ESO?

Especailly as many people have already bought their houses under the current system.

Heck, it's not even working in the real world, in many places...

• wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    b6540g.jpg
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fextina wrote: »
    While technically challenging, I think it would make housing a whole lot more interesting than it is now.

It is so easy to make a statement like this. However, like in the OP here, it is often not supported by anything. Just an empty comment.

So OP, how would make housing a whole lot more interesting? Costing more gold just to keep the house does not make it more interesting. Having the price fluctuate based on how many players buy homes does not make it interesting.
  • Donari
    Donari
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you make houses a limited supply compared to the number of players, you will be adding griefing and rancor and stress with no benefit except to those cutthroat enough to fight their way to ownership. I've seen this in every MMO I've played that had open world limited housing. Even in LotRO, which has infinite housing, being able to get the house you want in the neighborhood you want with the neighbors (guildies) you want is a taxing process that can be completely wasted if you miss one month's rent.

Super unfun, bad idea.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    It would perhaps be interesting, from a social experiment point of view, but I doubt it would work.

I think you would need to set up a dedicated (extremely large) MMO housing simulator game to be like that, from the start, for this idea to have even a chance of working.

As you would need huge maps in general and huge towns and cities, in particular, full of houses and apartments of every size and type (which you could then add to, if and when necessary), to make sure there were enough to go around, without increasingly insane house prices.

Otherwise, you would end up with the situation we have in the UK, at the moment.

Where, due to decades of gangster economics, the selling off (and intentional non-replacement) of social housing and the failure to build enough housing in general, house prices are through the roof (pun duly noted) and people are either in massive debt, for a hovel, or unable to buy anything at all.

The only people owning anything they got for even a half reasonable price (before this madness was fully imposed on us) being well over 70, by now.

The game equivalent of that, of course, being super-rich original players owning multiple mansions, they got for a song; vs homeless newer players, without the means for even a small apartment.

Or in other words, no.

• Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that housing lets players get creative, and the only grind-y aspect is gathering recipes, materials, and gold to decorate them to our liking (and for housing enthousiasts it's quite the grind). Like a comment said above, incorporating houses somehow to the game economy, would overcomplicate that, and probably kill creativity, and with it all the sorts of activities that take place in houses, especially guild houses/events. There are other ways to make houses more useful, relevant and lively, but I don't like the idea of Monopoly-ESO as one of them.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree with the majority here that this would not be a welcome addition to housing. Firstly, many have already bought homes - the SAME homes - under the current system. Under the new system, you'd have to figure out a way to deal with the fact that many players already have the same house in the same place. You'd have to move all of those homes and then players would fight over the location of their version of the home? Or you'd just leave all current houses alone?

Second, it would be difficult to incorporate the system with the Crown Store only homes. No one would want to have to pay rent on a home that they purchased with real money. I guess then CS only homes would still be ones that are in a specific place that everyone has access to? Then what about the homes that are in-game but can also be purchased through the store? Those would still remain as is, I suppose?

So, even if this were implemented, the current housing would most likely have to remain as is, with new housing being like the system you propose. Which would mean that very few would participate in it, if they were just able to continue with the way things are now.

I can't see them even bothering to come up with something like this, as it would mean pretty much scrapping the current system.

I'd rather they implement other things to make the current housing more interesting AND functional. They should put development time toward improvements, not a complete rework into a system that I highly doubt would be welcome.

Let's have more functional guild houses - port to guild house (for non-PC players), e.g. Banker and merchant at guild house can provide access to guild bank/store and can repair gear. More interactive furnishings in our homes (sleeping in beds, e.g. - an emote like sitting in chairs and not one that has to provide a bonus).
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paying my 25k in guild dues every week is hard enough to find the time to do... To have to logon each week to manage housing.......
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Azriael2 wrote: »
    A big no. If I remember correctly, Aion had same thing, house prices were around 100m+ and none of them were empty. In ESO, not only you spend a lot of money for houses, but also for furniture to being able to be creative. Also, this would cut crown store houses. Stop trying to limit us more, furniture limit is enough.

This is exactly why I migrated away from Aion even if I loved the lore and old aesthetic. Housing was interesting to me, but it just wasn't fun at all with the dues even on the smallest of houses.

OP must be a masochist >_>
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UO did this and what happened is you had people camping decayed houses, fighting over spots, people charging ludicrous amounts of money to sell their homes - only to swindle the buyer afterward, rez killing owners to persuade them to move, and all other sorts of not-so-funky-fresh activities.

So no. Instanced housing is a good thing.

That being said, I think there is still a lot more that could be offered in ESO housing - much of which has already been suggested or requested by the community. More NPCS, in house vendors to sell items to visitors, the ability to turn in writs, an agricultural system, weapon and armor racks, etc.

What I would really like to see for the future is housing items that are not only consumable, but must be crafted and sold by players (such as resource producing plants maybe) to enhance the player-based economy. I'm thinking back to UOs plant system and the resources that could be harvested and sold. You had things like petals that cured poison, restored magicka, gave bonuses to healing, etc. Or something like that.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh yeah, losing a house worth 80€ and a few million gold while on holiday sounds like a lot of fun. :|
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll have to say No on this one. How could they possibly balance the amount of houses properly? Either they are so rare only the super rich can afford them or so common that the rarity wouldn't matter. Also, I'm going to assume that a great many players have zero interest in renting a house with an upkeep cost when up until now, they could outright buy them. That would be a massive overnight nerf to the current system

However, if ZOS wanted to try this alongside the current system, they could give it a shot. I can just say with near certainty right up front that it would be the same few people owning those houses week after week. It's like designing a DLC for 0.01% of your player population. You can do it, but who really gets to enjoy the work put into it?
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

• IndorilArwynLlethran
    What a stupid idea.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No! One of the reasons I quit Final Fantasy XIV was its restricted and reclaimed housing model.
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Absolutely no.
    IMO this idea only appeals to the kind of person that takes joy not just in having something but knowing somebody else doesn't have it!
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound like fun or a good idea to me.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No OP.

Just no.

Housing is great fun and all your proposal does it limit it to the top 1%.

We have enough of that rubbish with IRL housing. Let us have our fantasy homes in cyberspace.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No