Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Acquiring parts of 'sets' later at higher character level?

Celthon
Celthon
✭✭
Have only been playing this game since 12/05, and still huge amount to learn -- I notice that from time to time I loot wpns or armour pieces that indicate they are part of a "set". My character is currently lvl 20, and I have some set pieces that are lower levels...as I go up in levels is it possible to come back to an area later and try to get the set pieces again, so they are higher level?

I got one piece at the conclusion of one of the "side quests"...since I've done the quest does that mean in the future I'd have no chance of getting that same piece with a higher level on it? If I get a set-piece from a quest, does that mean that's the only place it comes from, or is it possible to find/loot the same piece elsewhere? I read somewhere that pieces of a set are found in a particular area...so is it possible to find pieces in random containers and/or on random things I kill in that area...or as in the case of the one I got from the quest, will the quest be the only source?

Thank you for your time and assistance.
PC -- NA Server
Celthon - Dark Elf - Beast Caller
Duinthorn - Bosmer - Umbral Assassin
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can definitely get set pieces later on at higher levels. As you might have noticed there are no level requirements for anything in this game, everything is scaled up to the same level automatically. So you're never locked out of a zone or unable to get drops there because you're too high level for it. If you want set piece items from that zone later on all you need to do is go back and farm them.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leveling time in this game, especially the first time through is kind of weird.

There are two ways to approach it. Questing and Power Leveling.

Questing first. If your into the story, and with almost two weeks and L20, I think you are more a Journey than Destination. Your going to spend enough time in a zone to collect 3 to 5 pieces of a set. As long as your less than 10 levels over the gear, on average, your going to be fine. You will have a mix of 2 to 5 piece sets to use. This is good as you can try different things to see what you like.

Power Leveling, your going to be running with a dolmen zergs anyway, you can be naked. Gear does not matter. Don't sweat it for that method.

Believe me, questing is more fun in the long run.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Qualanthar
    Qualanthar
    ✭✭
    Yes this was confusing to me at start.

What "farming" gear sets in this game means is doing the content in the zone it drops from. All the set gear you get from quests will also drop from the dolmens, world bosses, delves and dailies where applicable in that zone so you can come back when you are level 50, CP 160 to get the max levelled sets. You then need crafting levelled to upgrade the gear to purple and gold to get the most power out of them.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When a set item is a quest reward, it will generally have a unique name, sometimes an unusual style or trait. You can't go back and get another copy of the identical item on the same character, but you can generally get the same piece (whether body, weapon, or jewelry) at any point in the future, it just may take longer if you're say farming a weapon from world bosses etc.
  • Celthon
    Celthon
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the replies and information.
    PC -- NA Server
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s generally not worth trying to collect dropped sets until you are CP160, since you will usually outlevel them before you get 5 decent pieces. I would say stick to crafted sets until you hit max gear level and gear stays useful.
  • Celthon
    Celthon
    ✭✭
    It’s generally not worth trying to collect dropped sets until you are CP160, since you will usually outlevel them before you get 5 decent pieces. I would say stick to crafted sets until you hit max gear level and gear stays useful.

Thank you. I thought that was/is the case...but when I got one piece as a reward at the end of a quest it made me wonder if I'd be able to come back later when I'm higher level to get that piece. The parts of sets I had found prior to that were all from random sources, so I thought (but was not sure) I would be able to come back later for those, but did not know if I'd be able to get the piece that was included in the quest reward or if the quest were the only source. The replies/information I've received in this thread answered my questions and have been very helpful.
    PC -- NA Server
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The vast majority of quest loot is either not part of a dropped set, or is repeatable on an Alt. And, other than one or two obscure items, you can get any set items that do drop from quest in another way.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can say the same about crafted set. It is generally a waste of mats. It is fine to do either; farm and/or use crafted sets at any level while you're leveling to level 50. To me, using crafted set while leveling to level 50 is more waste than using drop sets. One, you're wasting the mats (granted mats can be abundant for some) and two, you're having someone else take their time and effort to constantly craft your sets.

While leveling new toons, I enjoy more of using drop sets. Sure, it's not as readily as someone crafted for you, but I get more benefit from farming those; whether it be from treasure chests or drops from whatever. As a new leveling toon that needs xp, you'll get that from opening all the chests you find. Plus, you're getting xp from unlocking the new areas while farming for the chests, and not to mention leveling legerdemain (is that how you spell it?) Also, it is just fun to test out the different proc/perks from the 5-piece of the drops sets; which, I normally farm after every 5 levels.