The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Console: What is life like with voice chat with pugs?

Dr3sden
Dr3sden
✭✭✭
So I always wondered do you guys have an easier time in teams when you can talk to strangers you meet in group finder?
  • Piehound
    Piehound
    PS4 here. Most groups nobody has a mic. When they do it is one of two things usually..

It can be very helpful in a dungeon run if the person with the mic knows the mechanics and takes the time out to explain if the group is having trouble with something. Same can apply to a bg or other pvp to coordinate, lead, etc..

It can be really annoying if the one person with the mic is just playing music, making random noises, bragging, whining, talking trash, etc.

• phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On console I keep voice off unless I'm running with guildies.
  • RoyalPink06
    RoyalPink06
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercifully we have text chat so we don’t have to use voice chat in a PUG if we don’t want to.
    NA PS4
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Like it doesn’t exist. No one uses it in PUGs.
  • MuchShock
    MuchShock
    ✭✭✭
    The Pugs that use voice chat often go much better IMO. If no one talks, no one is scared to be a keyboard warrior and scream textual profanities at under performing players constantly. Players that use voice chat are often "OK here is how we need to do this" and stuff usually turns out well. If it doesn't, those knowledgeable members usually say "hey I tried but not going to happen today, GL in future"
    I have some characters, play the game and do stuff. It's fun sometimes.

Xbox-NA
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody talks hardly. Pugs who get on ESO are usually kids who don’t have or can’t afford a mike.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • HallowedUndead
    In most groups, no one talks, not even leader. So i usually explain mechanics to any new people and do most call outs
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    People eat a lot of chips and hit the vape way too much.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I keep my voice chat turned off because when I play this game I am usually stoned out of my mind and the last thing I want to hear is some random person eating doritos over the mic.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Voice Chat on console is either glitched to hell and doesn't work or no one uses a mic.

By glitched, I mean that you will not be able to join the group chat because it won't appear as a thing to join in the 1st place. Then there's the premade group voice glitches. I've been in premades that would PUG a 4th, already in group chat, get into the dungeon and be immediately kicked from group chat, unable to rejoin. Travelling to a different zone also tends to pull you from voice chat.

Legit better off using the console provided voice chat than ESO chat.
    Edited by Silver_Strider on December 18, 2018 12:53AM
    Argonian forever
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voice Chat on console is either glitched to hell and doesn't work or no one uses a mic.

By glitched, I mean that you will not be able to join the group chat because it won't appear as a thing to join in the 1st place. Then there's the premade group voice glitches. I've been in premades that would PUG a 4th, already in group chat, get into the dungeon and be immediately kicked from group chat, unable to rejoin. Travelling to a different zone also tends to pull you from voice chat.

Legit better off using the console provided voice chat than ESO chat.

That's Unfortunate
    Edited by Tasear on December 18, 2018 8:02AM
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lol if chat isnt glitched for you then its glitched for everyone else and by some miracle its working then everyones off mic except for the one dude that has his music way to high in the background and you cant mute or lower them without straight up blocking them..
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People rarely used it. If they do it’s someone blaring EDM music anyway.
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I use it a lot on Vet Dungeons. Obviously talking is much more effective than typing, so it can be very helpful to just chat with teammates. On normal, I usually don't even plug the mic in. But yeah, overall it's a pretty helpful tool.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've mostly had positive experiences using mics, when I (or others) have. For quick dungeon runs, it isn't really necessary though.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If its a DLC dungeon I at least hop on and say hello then mute until needed again. Sometimes you get a friendly person who wants to say hello, but mostly people stay quite and that's ok IMO. I don't care if there's not convo, but during some content, its a must. The random baby in the background or the heavy breather can be a little annoying though. I remember one time a guildy and I were running through VBRF and this guy or gal whoever had their baby screaming in the background for over 5+ minutes, super loud too almost as if the child was on the mic, so we stopped and were like ugh you want a minute to handle RL real quick?... NR and kept going, so we kicked him/her... take care of your baby damn!
    Edited by Odovacar on December 18, 2018 5:46PM
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I PUG and people do use voice.

Here is what I do. Sign up for the GF. Get into a group. I then say hello after a min or so , to be sure all people are in the channel. You would be surprised how many people will speak when you are polite and address them with a simple Hello.

Here is what other people do I get into PUG's with. They say nothing, not even hello.

I have tested thi by getting into groups and not saying anything and getting into groups and saying helle and asking how everyone is doing.

You would be surprised the difference.

Some groups have bo one in the channel So either the channel broke (which is a console bug) or they just left the channel when it switched them. Console auto switches you to party chat.

I find that if you provide a avenue for people to speak in a nice forum then they will. For whatever reason people have had a or multiple bad experiences and will most of the time unless they think the person they are speaking to is different just wont speak.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely depending on the dungeon.

Something with complex mechanics (scalecaller vet for example) then yeah, voice is almost necessary so I can call out what to do.

On something simple I just mime stuff with my character
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • H3IIi0N
    H3IIi0N
    ✭✭
    Voice chat rarely works for me. Most of the time I’ll turn it on to tell people what mechanic they don’t know in pve.

Use all the time in pvp.
    Denubis Djinn Dunmer DK - XB1 NA EP
    Derpy Derpwnz Khajit NB - XB1 NA AD
  • Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    I played EQ2 back when they added built in voice to that game. It was SO nice.. Nobody had to tab out to connect to some random discord/teamspeak server. All the controls etc built into the game (again no tabing out etc). I wish more games would do it.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    On one hand, it has saved many pug runs from falling apart.

On the other hand, it feels worse to hear the sadness in someones voice about disbanding the group.

PS4 limits a voice party to 8 - so for big groups like trials you have to use the game chat.
    I definitely prefer having the option available. I joined my first guild because zone chat was on in Davon's Watch.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very few people use voice chat (PS4 NA) in group finder as most do what little communication they want via text chat.

I admit to generally only pugging normal trials, very rarely vets.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the response here it seems to not be so bad since few seem to actually be using it. Games I have played and one I am testing ATM has so much worthless banter it is just annoying. So much that when grouped when them I end up just muting them.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess the grass isn't greener on the other side...
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It’s always there. You can turn it on or off at will. When it works. Usually, people can hear even if they choose not to talk.

There are many occasions where language is the barrier. But it’s a barrier in text chat as well.

It’s more rare that people are mean when talking to them. It ads a personal level, many aren’t comfortable with.

You get into some really weird conversations. A lot.

The ERP players...uhm. They really push the boundaries.
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On Xbox NA, pugs only talk in trials if they have mic. Dugeons are generally silent.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • paul_j
    paul_j
    ✭✭✭
    HAHA you should ask about “area” voice chat instead of group chat in dungeons. That’s where the real magic happens.. 😂
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    paul_j wrote: »
    HAHA you should ask about “area” voice chat instead of group chat in dungeons. That’s where the real magic happens.. 😂

Yep. This. Most people in dungeons are cool, and obviously chatting on the mic is more efficient than trying to type it out so the harder the dungeons the more likely you are to get mics. You might get a bad apple here or there, but for the most part it's casual and kind. In area chat though....people can get weird. But it's refreshing in a way; it reminds you that other people are out there....weird or not. On PC, it was almost eerie with the amount of silence.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only use it for trials, PUGs and guild runs. Don't see a need for it elsewhere