The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

This game may need to look at spell priorities

Jeremy
Jeremy
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
For the record: I"m not 100% positive this is how it works on this game. Though my testing seems to indicate that it is.

It's a pretty basic principle in game design - especially the multiplayer variety - that the most potent spell effect should take priority over the weaker one. Yet for some reason (and I can't really think of a good one) that does not seem to be the case on Elder Scrolls Online.

For example: let's say there are two players in a group using Rapid Regeneration. Instead of the Healer's regeneration taking priority (assuming they have the stronger heal) it seems to me these spells cancel one another out. So basically which ever spell is cast more recently is the effect that remains active, regardless if it's actually weaker than the effect it replaced or not.

If that is the case: that's a faulty design error that needs to be corrected. As someone who often plays as a Templar Tank that makes use of restoration staff abilities to improve my self-healing, I wouldn't want to accidentally remove the regeneration effect on other players that a healer may have put on them, especially if the healer's regen was stronger than my own. This is especially a problem since healing spells automatically target players based on their health in this game so a player is unable to limit their casting to themselves only. So I hope the combat team looks into this.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to stack multiple Rapid Regens at the same time. This was fixed maybe a year ago, before that they would overwrite. If it’s not working then it’s a bug.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to stack multiple Rapid Regens at the same time. This was fixed maybe a year ago, before that they would overwrite. If it’s not working then it’s a bug.

OK that's good to know. So thanks for the insight.

Healers who are complaining that my regen is over-writing their own are either just mistaken or it's some kind of bug then it seems.

The reason I thought this is because I was doing some self-testing and I noticed that if I cast a weaker regen on myself it would replace the stronger regen I had in effect. But if they stack when cast by other players that shouldn't be a problem.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    For the record: I"m not 100% positive this is how it works on this game. Though my testing seems to indicate that it is.

It's a pretty basic principle in game design - especially the multiplayer variety - that the most potent spell effect should take priority over the weaker one. Yet for some reason (and I can't really think of a good one) that does not seem to be the case on Elder Scrolls Online.

For example: let's say there are two players in a group using Rapid Regeneration. Instead of the Healer's regeneration taking priority (assuming they have the stronger heal) it seems to me these spells cancel one another out. So basically which ever spell is cast more recently is the effect that remains active, regardless if it's actually weaker than the effect it replaced or not.

If that is the case: that's a faulty design error that needs to be corrected. As someone who often plays as a Templar Tank that makes use of restoration staff abilities to improve my self-healing, I wouldn't want to accidentally remove the regeneration effect on other players that a healer may have put on them, especially if the healer's regen was stronger than my own. This is especially a problem since healing spells automatically target players based on their health in this game so a player is unable to limit their casting to themselves only. So I hope the combat team looks into this.

Just tomplay devil's advocate here alittle

In your scenario why have two healers ... The weaker one will pretty much do nothing to help

Cos of the second healer has a stronger skill on one chances are it will be stronger on all rendering him pointless until the first dies
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »

In your scenario why have two healers ... The weaker one will pretty much do nothing to help

Cos of the second healer has a stronger skill on one chances are it will be stronger on all rendering him pointless until the first dies

Healers die often on this game, so I think you answered your own question there. Or they're out of range because they are chasing down some wayward damage-dealer to heal or dealing with some mechanic that involves running all over the place. ESO's game design generally just doesn't really compliment the idea of having a single player relied on to do all the healing for the group.

So I learned very early on that relying on healers to keep you alive on this game is a risky proposition. So it helps to have some self-healing capabilities of your own. But that's beside the point really.

My concern was that my use of regeneration might have been replacing a stronger regen that was already in effect on another player - which I wouldn't want to do for obvious reasons. I had a healer who was complaining about this - suggesting that my spell was interfering with his. But if they stack now that shouldn't be a problem. IN fact, it sounds like it would have just been helping.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 18, 2018 9:17AM
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »

I don't know about any other tanks, but I also carry a resto staff on mine...
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like they are a long way from getting something done like priorities. Half the time the skills you cast don't even go off because the enemy you started to cast on was occluded by another enemy or body half way though the cast and so the game canceled the cast.

Combat does not even work in the sense of you point at an enemy and cast a skill and it fires. They are a long way from prioritizing skills so that the best one takes effect (or prioritizing visible ground tells so that you can see the enemy skill that is actually going to kill you.) The combat team sucks on a very basic level, not on a nuanced, complicated level.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.