The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Any tips on a good templar tank/healer?

humpalicous
humpalicous
✭✭✭
So I'm thinking about converting my healer/dps Templar into a Tank/healer, mainly for vet dungeons.

He's a Breton, so not an optimal race, but I don't feel like race changing until ZOS announces their race passives plans.

The goal is to be able to tank and heal the team at the same time so that we can do effective runs with 3 DD's. I pug a lot so I cannot expect them to slot self heals, which is why I want to do a decent job of taking the heat from enemies as the tank but at the same time healing the team so that they can focus on melting the targets.

Obviously this is a bit difficult in the hardest DLC dungeons, so let's focus on all vet dungeons up until the Argonian ones, (CoS and RoM).

Questions:

What gear setup would be good? 5 LA, or 5 HA?
What sets? 1 healer set and 1 tank set?

Thanks for any kind of feedback!
  • Dr3sden
    Dr3sden
    ✭✭✭
    Templar is a good choice. You might be able to pull of light amour if you wanted since you have rune or at very least you have options. There's not a lot of damage in dungeons so extended ritual will do you well for most situations. You could also add in hasty prayer and/or honor of the dead.

Some sets you might like alkoash, olorime, powerful assault, torgus pact, ebon, plauge... and maybe galewine?
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm book-marking this thread because I am theorycrafting a similar concept. Let me share my wierd idea.

Using jewellery and weapons of the meritorious service set
    (2 items) Adds 1206 Max Health

(3 items) Adds 1096 Max Magicka

(4 items) Adds 129 Spell Damage

(5 items) When you cast a Support ability, you increase the Physical and Spell Resistance of up to 4 friendly targets with 10 meters by 3010 for 2 minutes.

Recasting guard at least every 2 minutes, and using Lord Warden monster set, so anyone standing within my "Templar house" restoring focus is getting an extra 12k resistances. It is a nice idea in my head, but I'm interested in anyone else's experiences or builds.
    Edited by Jim_Pipp on December 15, 2018 1:06PM
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »
    I'm book-marking this thread because I am theorycrafting a similar concept. Let me share my wierd idea.

Using jewellery and weapons of the meritorious service set
    (2 items) Adds 1206 Max Health

(3 items) Adds 1096 Max Magicka

(4 items) Adds 129 Spell Damage

(5 items) When you cast a Support ability, you increase the Physical and Spell Resistance of up to 4 friendly targets with 10 meters by 3010 for 2 minutes.

Recasting guard at least every 2 minutes, and using Lord Warden monster set, so anyone standing within my "Templar house" restoring focus is getting an extra 12k resistances. It is a nice idea in my head, but I'm interested in anyone else's experiences or builds.

You would be better of running vigor and powerful assault.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So my breton templar tank uses Ebon and Akaviri dragongaurd and Shadowrend. I am tri-stat everything including the jewellery which gives me 41K hp 20K stam and mag (slightly more stam).

I was trying to be a healer tank at some point but I gave up when the Morrowind resource hammer came down it might be better now though.

I think Ebon and Oloromne could be really good for a templar tank because they have a lot of ground-based AoEs to trigger it.

I know a lot of people talk about using Ice staff but as a Breton with Shadowrend (and perhaps Oloromne), I am stacking mag regen so I don't want to lose mag gain while blocking.
    Edited by Narvuntien on December 16, 2018 6:09AM
  • humpalicous
    humpalicous
    ✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    So my breton templar tank uses Ebon and Akaviri dragongaurd and Shadowrend. I am tri-stat everything including the jewellery which gives me 41K hp 20K stam and mag (slightly more stam).

I was trying to be a healer tank at some point but I gave up when the Morrowind resource hammer came down it might be better now though.

I think Ebon and Oloromne could be really good for a templar tank because they have a lot of ground-based AoEs to trigger it.

I know a lot of people talk about using Ice staff but as a Breton with Shadowrend (and perhaps Oloromne), I am stacking mag regen so I don't want to lose mag gain while blocking.

I think that sustain is slightly better now than in Morrowind at least.

That was my initial idea too, stacking magicka recovery and having a higher stamina pool for blocking/bashing/break free.
    Since Templars have a lot of heal over time this would work, and then use a big burst heal for Oh Crap moments (which rarely occur in non-dlc dungeons).

Taking the responses into consideration I might go with:

5x Olorime
    5x Ebon/Dragongaurd/Plague Doctor
    2x Bloodspawn/Lord Warden/Nightflame

My question is, 5 light or 5 heavy armor? I was thinking that a 5 Light would work since Templars add massive amounts of resistances and the passives really benefit a player relying a lot on magicka abilities.

Might have to try this out later tonight with some guildies to get a feel for it!